What's In Your Bag?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by mommy2boyz, Jul 17, 2011.

1. mommy2boyz

mommy2boyz This closet isn't big enough for my boots

What's In Your Bag?

I'm considering purchasing a new lens, but I have no idea what to get!! I'm thinking maybe a mid-range zoom. Just wanted to see what's in your bag and what are your favorite lenses. Here's my current line-up:
    Nikon D90 body
    35mm 1.8
    50mm 1.4
    70-200 2.8
    18-105mm 3.5-5.6 (this was the kit lens that came with the camera) I really don't use it anymore.

So whatcha think? Suggestions?

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just upgraded from a 6 year old Olympus Evolt 300 to a:

Nikon D3100
    18-55mm 3.5-5.6
    55-200mm 4-5.6

I'm debating on which prime lens to buy next, the 35mm or the 50mm. Everyone says I need the 50 first, but I'm afraid it's not going to be a wide enough lens for the way I use it. I wish they'd make a 10-500mm lens that wasn't gigantic and still would open up perfect for indoor pictures without tripod. Oh and I don't want it to cost 8 zillion dollars. HA! We do a lot of hiking and camping type stuff in the summer and I'd be lost without my zoom lenses. I actually want a longer zoom too, but that's going to have to wait until after Christmas at the very least.

Jordan, I wish my kit lens was like yours... the 55mm just doesn't cut it most times, but then I can't stand when I can't get back far enough too. :)

3. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Jordan, why do you feel you need a new lens?

I am very happy with the ones I have, for now. My latest purchase is a 28 mm and I use it most of the time. I also have a 50 mm, the kit lens 18-55 mm and the 55-250 mm. What I would really want, now, is a full frame camera. But they cost so much that I wonder if I will ever get one!

4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Hopefully, Kelly will pop in here soon and tell you what's in HER bag. Be prepared for lens envy... LOL

5. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

There are a few I would still love to add to my bag, but it will be awhile :)

I have a Canon 5d Markii
    35 1.4L
    135 2.0L
    100 2.8L macro
    15mm fisheye (which I need to use more because it's super fun)
    85 1.8

I currently have all primes, I had the 24-105L and sold it to fund my 135 which is seriously the sharpest fastest lens ever, it's crazy. I love my macro for portraits and the 35 covers all my inside shots. I am saving up for the 70-200L (and I'll be saving for a loooong time because it's $2300) and would love to have a tilt shift and possibly the 85 1.2...someday :) I need to hit the lotto!

6. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Oh and here's my list:
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 100mm 2.8L
    Canon 18-200
    Sigma 70-300
    Sigma 10-20mm

7. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Yes, total lens envy here!! I want your camera bag, Kelly:beat!! I also literally want your camera bag. Do you still have the red Lola? If so do you like it? I am wanting this for my birthday I think, when they come back in stock.

8. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

I just have two: 50mm 1.4 and the 70-300 f4 - 5.6. I really feel like I need a wide angle because I quite often can't get back enough to get everything in the shot. I have a cropped frame so I'm not sure if 35mm will be wide enough.

9. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

You would probably do well with the 35 Tiki, I would rent one and maybe the 24 and see what you like the best. We don't have super large rooms in my house and the 35 is also plenty :) Not sure if you are Canon or Nikon but the Canon 35 version is super duper sharp.

Amanda-I love it! It can double as a purse so that's a huge plus for me :) They are very well made, totally worth it!

10. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Yeah, definitely, not just lens envy, camera envy too... Wow! :)

Tiki, I bought the 28 mm 1.8 because the 50 mm was too tight for indoors, and I'm so happy I did!

11. cherryberry

I'm a Canon girl. Renting both lenses is a good idea. I find the 50 is good for in the house shots but it's cityscape shots I can't seem to capture with my 50 (the other side of the street is not far enough back). LOL

I'm envious of your bag too - so gorgeous! :)

12. gracielou

Oh good to hear. I have been looking at that one and the Ketti bag and I finally fell in love with the Lola because the way it fit to the body like a handbag in some of the pictures I've seen with it. Now I just wish they would hurry up and get them back in stock and run a nice coupon :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  13. gracielou

Maybe the 24-70 2.8? I think you have a great line up already!

14. sillescrapper

sillescrapper New Member

I have basically what you have:
    Nikon D90 body
    35mm 1.8
    50mm 1.4

... but instead of the 70-200 2.8 (I wish) I have the 70-300 and I love it for my kids sports outdoors. It is not fast enough for indoors, which drives me nuts with my dd's soccer because she plays at an indoor arena and I need the 300 for reach but she is too far away to use flash so her soccer pictures just stink. for my boys' baseball and football it rocks.

Anyway, I dream of the 24-70 2.8 and the 85 1.4. And the D700. That would help with my indoor soccer pics. I used to have one when I was in business but traded down for personal use and I sooo miss it!

15. mommy2boyz

Woah. Wait a minute. Are you that Kelly? As in Kelly Moore?? I do live under a rock! LOL!

I was just thinking of another lens because I like the flexibility of a zoom. It's easier to keep up with my lightning fast boys! LOL! But, the 70-200 is just completely useless around the house! It did, however, prove perfect for Brady's wee-ball pics, which is why I bought it in the first place. :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  16. cherryberry

Jordan - you're too funny. Our "Kelly" is not Kelly Moore. LOL

17. mommy2boyz

Oh! LOL! Well, when Amanda was talking about her "bag" I thought she was talking about the Kelly Moore bags! LOL! I'm such a blonde some times! :giggle *doh!*

18. gracielou

Too funny!! I had seen our Kelly's red Epiphanie Lola Bag on her blog some time back and I have been wanting one so bad but they are out of stock.

19. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

LOL...I WISH I was Kelly Moore...sadly no, just Kelly Carothers wanna be photographer :)

20. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

I'm sorry I read this as Kelly Carothers everyone wants to be like me photographer.

.... am i right?