I need a new printer!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by KarenC, Jun 1, 2023.

1. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

My printer just died! Has anyone bought a new printer recently that they love? I want to print photos and scrap pages at home. Thanks so much for any suggestions! :)

Karen likes this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Watching with interest as we need to buy a new one too!

Karen and KarenC like this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I can’t recommend a specific printer but I’ve always found Canon printers to be reasonably good. I’ve found I’ve had the best success/value for money with a slightly more expensive printer with multiple ink cartridges - I stay well away from the cheap printers with tricolour ink cartridges as they are just a waste of money in my opinion.

KarenC likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I am also a fan of Canon printers with multiple cartridges.

KarenC likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I JUST bought a new printer last weekend. I went off a thread that I saw here a few months ago. Lots of recommendations for Epson eco tanks, so I bought the ET-4800 on Amazon. It was only $229 and then ink cartridges that came with it say they'll last about two years! I have printed a couple of 4x6 photos so far and they turned out amazing!

The real reason I upgraded though was because the scanner in my old Canon Pixma died and I really needed a new one.

Here's that thread in the Hybrid Pad too: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/printer.87202/

KarenC likes this.
  6. Karen

7. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Karen likes this.
  8. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

We had an eco tank, but it was the first generation so I dont know if they have fixed this. If you don’t print regularly, the nozzles get clogged and the ink dries out.

if this is no longer an issue we will buy another one! It was a great printer/scanner..

9. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

I have had my Epson Ecotank 3850 SE (the 3850 version is sold at Costco so I got it for $50 less AND two huge bottles of black ink) 4 months now and I can honestly say I love it. I've never had a clogging issue BUT I do use it weekly for hybrid projects. If you think you will use it weekly, it's a workhorse. My ink levels have barely moved and like I said, I've used it plenty. Let us know what you end up with!

10. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Karen likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a Brother with the ink tank idea. It's amazing and works so much better than the old printers. The ink is low, 3 years after we bought it!
    I don't use it for printing photos though, I bought a Canon Selphy for that.

KarenC likes this.
  12. Karen

@KarenC Just curious... did you end up picking out a printer? I think I saw that you did in another thread, maybe the thread about paper? Which one did you pick and do you like it so far?

KarenC likes this.
  13. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I did! We got an Epson ET-2850 from Costco (It came with extra black ink. And I thought I could return it easily if I didn't like it.) I like it so far but it was a challenge to get set up. I had to call Epson tech support 3 times to get the drivers properly installed. It seemed like it all installed, but if it shows 2.0 as the driver, that is a generic driver and not the correct one. I also bought Epson Ultra Presentation paper. I've done quite a few test prints and think the colors are the best (so far) printing from PS using Photoshop manages colors, Espon color profile (instead of sRGB or CMYK), and plain paper settings at highest quality. (I'd love to know what settings others are using.) It prints really clear and doesn't use much ink. It is a bit slower than my HP was.

Edit to add for anyone shopping, they are on sale starting today at Costco.

Karen likes this.
  14. Karen

Yay! I'm glad you found one that you like. I didn't have trouble really setting mine up other than it did seem to take a LONG time to install all of the drivers and extra software before I could finally print my first page. Not that I was being impatient or anything. :giggle

When I do the presentation matte paper I think I've been using the matte photo paper setting and high quality (but I think I'm still using the HP brand brochure paper). That does seem to be a slower print length too when I set it to high quality, but I think it prints pretty fast for regular documents. I never messed with the color profiles since mine seemed to print the way I looked good off the bat.

KarenC likes this.
  15. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

When I use the matte photo paper setting my prints have a blue hue. Once I got the drivers installed properly it was a little better, but still not like I see on my monitor. When I get some time I'm going to do some more test prints. Thanks so much for all your help!

Karen likes this.