Cathy Zielske Peeps!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Pachimac, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I was so excited to see so many people remember my first scrap guru - Cathy Zielske!! Her clean and graphic style of scrapbooking never left my heart. I started out this way and have moved into much more clustery and artsy. but I have never lost my love for clean and graphic.

How many of us had this book and its sequel? How many of us started out with her style?

[​IMG]

I think why I was so drawn to her is that I am married to a graphic designer, and as I was learning Photoshop, he was teaching me about fonts, typography, clean design...and she was exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

Did Ya'll know she's on Instagram and Facebook, and has a blog still? Today's MOC challenge made me go look for her and see what's up with her now!

https://www.instagram.com/czdesign/
    https://www.facebook.com/CathyZielskeDesign
    https://www.cathyzielske.com/blog/

She does mostly cards now, but I still love her designs. Her scrapbook videos are still up on YouTube too!! I've been gorging!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/czdesign

Now off to do my MOC page for the day!

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have her book too still.
    Love the pairing of story and photos.

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That book looks familiar so I might have had it during my paper scrapping days. But, it was never really my style since I came from the world of Creative Memories where the photos and their stories were the focus. I got more into the Becky Higgins sketches even following some of them when I first started digi-scrapping. Still have that book with sticky notes for layouts I loved.

I doubt I have the book anymore, I got rid of a bunch years ago that I never used.

4. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I did have one of her books and feel sure I took an online class too that focussed on typography. I too went down the internet rabbit hole of checking out her blog posts, going way back. And that led me on to Ali Edwards as well. Because I had so much spare time today ... anyhow it was a real trip down memory lane, although I can't say I've ever been a clean and simple scrapper I love the focus both give to the story.

5. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I had that book! I loved CZ. But when I was a paper scrapper I didn’t really have the patience for all the typesetting and getting it all perfectly lined up. But I did love her style.

6. Pachimac

I wish I did! I found a few of my old scrapbook tomes and they seemed so dated at the time. Now, I'm seeing some of the styles come around again!

StefanieS likes this.
  7. Pachimac

Hmm. I never thought Cathy didn't focus on the photos and stories - that's what I liked about her. She didn't have the elements take over the page, and I guess if anything, yeah, she did focus more on the photos, but there was always story too. Now I think she'd hate my style because I use TONS of elements! LOL

I did do a LOT of Becky Higgins sketches too in my day. I LOVED trying to replicate paper with my digi pages!

8. Pachimac

Oh, Ali Edwards was a fave too!! I so wish I still had my old pages. The places online I posted are all gone now and I had a hard drive crash that took everything pre 2009!

9. Pachimac

I can't paper scrap to save my life. LOL

Laura ODonnell likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

I could totally be remembering wrong, this was 20 years ago. But her style just did not appeal to me at all! Maybe it was the super clean layouts that she focused on (if I remember right) and possibly the typography mentioned above. That just was not me. I came from a world of using stickers, paper strips and triangles... I love triangles on my pages still to this day! CM always encouraged filling the page with photos and journaling again why I don't have a problem with journaling even in digital layouts. Like I said I had the book, I just never used it.

11. Pachimac

Oh she was DEFINTELY super clean. That was a given with her. :)

I tried CM for a while but it got too expensive as my hubby was unemployed at the time, and I just couldn't seem to place the stickers right. Everything looked contrived. I've seen some of the most beautiful CM pages - but I couldn't reproduce the look.

12. HavaDrPepper

I signed up as a consultant just for the discount! I still have some stuff but donated a lot several years ago. I gave a whole binder full of stickers to a friend's niece. She was a kindergarten teacher and her kids were thrilled with having stickers to play with! Like I said above, I still love the triangles that were a part of the home class in the late 90's. Those I hoard and use if I do any paper scrapping. Partial mats under photos is my favorite look using them or as corner accents.

13. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I still have both books. At some point in my scrapping days, I used to do pretty simple and I liked things all lined up. Used to drive me nuts trying to get everything perfect in paper. It was one of the main reasons I was attracted to digi -- so easy to get things aligned -- but then I started learning all the more artsy ways to play and well . . . I still love to play and add "all the things".

14. Pachimac

my best friend is just getting into CM. She loves it and is having fun scrapping her family’s memories. I just can’t do paper to save my life!

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love watching Cathy's videos. I love that she's in her scrap/dining room. I do make cards for my family's birthdays and such, so I like seeing what's out there for card design. I wish she was scrapbooking again instead of just cards.

I routinely watch Ali's videos as well. I love her approach to memory keeping.

I am definitely a "more is more" kind of scrapper, so while I deviate from the style that Cathy and Ali lean toward, I still find lots of inspiration for storytelling and thinking about supplies in different ways.

G.J. likes this.
  16. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

My paper supplies are long gone so you ladies are stuck with me

17. HavaDrPepper

My style in paper scrapping is so different than my digital scrapping. Clusters are not found at all. I was never into the "lumpy-bumpy" style. Flowers, buttons, ribbons were not found on my pages. I did more of the matting of photos with colored paper, alpha stickers for titles, and CM had a product called "Rick Racks" which was geometric cut paper designs 12 inches long. Love those and still have some! And, triangles. They were definitely not works of art but they tell the stories.

18. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I love her style, but could never make it work for me (I'm too enamored of patterned papers, ribbons, buttons, bows, etc). I did learn something about typography from her templates, though. I used to have some her templates (many of them generous freebies from her site), which unfortunately I lost in a computer crash.

19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love the look of CZ pages and yep, I have that book somewhere in my craft room too, but I just cannot do her style unless I copy one of her pages. My inner messy always comes out. Lol! Way back in the day I took a scrapping class with Cathy called Me the Abridged version and I did a whole A-Z album that was all about me. I loved that project and somehow did manage to do that whole album in a cohesive C&S style.

20. Pachimac

I used to be totally CZ, and then I got on Created by Jill's creative team, and she helped me find my inner messy. Now CZ, while I adore the look of it, is difficult for me!