Have you ever had an MRI?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dawnmarch, Jan 11, 2023.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

So, I had surgery this week to remove my gall bladder which I think makes me officially old. :lol Prior to surgery, the doctor ordered an MRI. During the screening, they asked me whether I was claustrophobic and I was like "nah, no problem". Well, WOW, did I FREAK OUT in that machine. Like full on panic attack. After I had them pull me out, I managed to go back in a finish the MRI but it was barely controlled panic the entire time.

So, now I know that about me. :lol What about you -- have you ever had an MRI and how did you do with it?

cfile likes this.
  2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I had an MRI of my sinuses and it was horrible. I never want to do that again.

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I had 2 MRI's back to back when I was having shoulder issues. One was for the shoulder area the the other for the neck. No time between them. I've also had one for sinuses. Shoulder was in 2003 and the sinuses was sometime in the 90's.

I must not be claustrophobic because I had no problems. Just kept my eyes closed the whole time.

cfile likes this.
  4. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

The sound is what got me!

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Yes I have but I just keep my eyes closed.

6. dawnmarch

There was no way I was going to get through it unless I kept my eyes closed. The tech offered to put eye covers on me but that sounded even worse! I think it actually wasn't so much the small space itself as the feeling that I didn't have any way to get out if I needed to get out - the lack of control. I asked her if I would be able to get out if there were a zombie apocalypse and she said I was not the first person to ask that question. :lol

7. dawnmarch

The sound bothered me at first -- especially the sounds that sounded a lot like alarms -- but eventually I convinced myself that the sounds meant that the machine was doing what it was supposed to do and everything was progressing.

8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Me too. I remember singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall to myself to get my mind off of it. They gave me a pill too!

I knew I was claustrophobic because I experienced the sensation years ago when we were touring the Newgrange Stone Age tombs in Ireland. Our tour group had snaked our way, single file, towards the burial chamber when I couldn’t keep going. I had to back out along with the ten people behind me! Embarrassing! The guide was used to people experiencing this behavior and told me to try again just with her. I did and made it in without the panic the second time. A few years later when we were touring the pyramids, I knew better than to even try to go in. I have always regretted that I didn’t at least make an attempt to see the inside.

9. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I've had 3. I had acute pancreatitis and they were trying to find the cause. They never did figure it out. They wanted to do more invasive tests and I said absolutely not. IT WAS HORRIBLE! I hated it, too. The 2nd time they played music for me which helped a lot.

10. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I've had two, on my right foot 4 years ago, and last year on my back for a slipped disk (or something like that - sorry, I don't know the English words). If it lasted longer, I could even sleep, I don't mind the noise.
    [​IMG]

11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I had one a few months ago on my back/neck. It didn't bother me much. I didn't like the injectable dye that gave me a cold feeling but it really wasn't much bother either. I'm ok in closed in spaces so it was no big deal for me.

12. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

I’ve had several. I’m super weird though because the clicking and knocking sounds always put me to sleep. It’s like some rhythmic knock out drug to me

13. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

I've had to have an open MRI because I can't go in a tube... They'd have to lay me out cold because I just can't do it... I'd rather pay more for the open MRI

14. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I have had many CT and MRI scans.. so many I have lost count. Normally I just close my eyes and sleep or think happy go lucky thoughts

15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Can agree! I know I absolutely hated my first MRI because of the noise but the second one was better.

16. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Too many to count with a bad back.

17. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I am lucky I can just turn off my ears and tune out the sound.. and its nice and peaceful and a perfect little spot for a nap! *L*..

littlekiwi likes this.
  18. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I'm sorry it made you freak out Dawn! I'm guessing that's what would happen to me too.

I've never had an MRI but I've had a CT scan. Thankfully I was able to keep my head out so I didn't have to find out if I'm claustrophobic.

19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I haven't had one myself, but I sat in the room touching my daughter's leg while she had one and the sound about drove me crazy. My daughter, then 30, had been given something to lightly sedate her, but after that MRI she had to be "knocked out."

A couple of years ago she had an MRI done at a different facility, the doctor (who wasn't familiar with her) was reluctant to completely sedate her, so we agreed to try it w/o deep sedation. Afterwards the doctor told me that yeah, she needs to be completely sedated.

I hope I never have to have an MRI as I am terribly claustrophobic.

20. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I have had an MRI, but it was for a shoulder injury, so I had to lay on my stomach. They gave me headphones, and I closed my eyes and took a nap so I didn't have to think about being in a weird scrunchy tube!! LOL