Senior Citizen | Pad Patter 8.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 21, 2022.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have this distinct memory of the day my dad received his first letter/invitation from the AARP. He said a few choice words and threw it straight in the fireplace. He was not about getting older. He would never, and I mean NEVER, accept a senior discount on anything! Now, I pride myself on being an exact replica of my dad, but this is where we differ. I've been an AARP member since that first letter came in the mail and I am all about any discount I can get anywhere! I love looking for hotel and restaurant deals.

I know lots of y'all are not nearly this age yet, but which team are you on or do you think you'll be on when the time comes?
    Team "burn that stuff"?
    Team "give me all the discounts"?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    umyesh likes this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Team “give me all the discounts” for sure!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m definitely not in that camp at all (still got another 30 years to go!) but I know my mum is as she turned 65 a few months ago. She’s definitely “team give me all the discounts” and will be getting full use of her free off peak public transportation discount when it arrives.

When the time comes for me I’ll definitely be in “team give me all the discounts” but in saying that because I have a permanent disability card I already get a number of discounts….public transport, taxis, swimming pool admission, exercise classes, movies and probably a few more I’m not aware of and/or don’t use enough to care or investigate further.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My grandpa always let me do the word search puzzles in his AARP magazine. At least I think it was for AARP. Yep, just looked it up. Modern Maturity was the magazine name.

I don't think I joined AARP when I got my first letter but did join closer to retirement. And, I was excited to get my "Golden Buckeye" card from the state of Ohio when I turned 65. I keep forgetting about it though! And, yes, I'm all about the discounts especially at the grocery... that's why I go on Tuesday. Senior discount day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I’m on Team Burn AARP, but I take senior discounts where I can.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. LynnG

LynnG Designer

GIVE ME ALL THE DISCOUNTS lol. But, even though I am well into AARP territory, I have a long while to go because nothing kicks in here till 65 ;-(

Angela Toucan and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

team - burn it .... was put on alot of mailing lists, after a trial i was on

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The only things I ever got by being a member of AARP were mailings about medicare supplement insurance. But I was also getting that stuff from regular local insurance agents that I had never had any contact with. Those all stopped when I turned 65.

Opting out of direct mail marketing many years ago was one of the best things I ever did.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've already gotten mailing for AARP and I just chuckled and threw it out. I don't actually know when you could start using their discounts, but I'd be all for it. I like discounts a lot. Who cares where they came from! :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Team "give me all the discounts." That said, I don't belong to the AARP or go looking for discounts. I started getting mailings from the AARP back in my early 40s when I was doing research for a paper I was writing on "grandparents raising grandchildren" for an English class I was taking at our local community college.

My father hated being given the senior discounts at 55/65, but now at 93 y.o. happily orders off the senior menu at IHOP ... mostly b/c the senior meals are smaller and he can finish them. He hates to waste stuff.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Yes, bring on the discounts!
    I remember the first time my husband got offered a senior discount back in Iowa it was at Long John Silvers (I don’t know if they are even around any more). He was probably 50 at the time and we were just amazed at the time but definitely took the discount.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'll be getting the discounts later this fall. I am all about what benefits I get for getting old :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I am all about the discounts!!! Save, save, save. What's the saying, "a penny saved is a penny earned?"

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'll happily accept discounts but I'll never call myself old. :D

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Random fact for everyone: You can sign up for AARP and use their discounts at any age. There is no minimum age to join. (Is your mind blown yet?!?) Some of the offerings are more age specific like Medicare plans. But, in general the discounts are available to any AARP member - no age required!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I look forward to getting my own "America the Beautiful" or "National Parks Pass" lifetime membership at 62. $80 for life for national parks across the US! Other than that? Meh. I'll take a discount if I can find one because why pay full price? But I'm not ready to be a senior citizen.

IntenseMagic and Sara like this.
  17. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I got a lifetime senior pass before the price jump in August 2017 ... I paid $20. What a deal given that admission to my small local national park (Great Falls Park) is $20 per car.

bestcee, IntenseMagic and Karen like this.
  18. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I'm on team "in denial." I ripped it up the first time.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'll take any and all discounts I can find.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Considering I am 44 and I've been getting stuff from AARP for over a decade now, I am firmly on Team Burn It. See also: Rude.