do you sleep with | pad patter 6.21.22

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Jun 21, 2022.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I didn't even get tested to get the diagnosis. I had a double ear infection right when Dad died and had to go to the doctor. I insisted on a shot instead of pills because it would work more quickly since I was in the middle of planning everything and had the funeral several days later. The noise in my ear was horrible (although I had really noticed it several weeks earlier) and it was thought to be because of the infection. Several weeks after the funeral it was back so back to the doctor I go. No more infection. She looked at me and said "you have tinnitus" and you need to learn to live with it. She wanted to send me to an ENT but I was having a hearing test done at this time since it had been 9 years to see if my hearing loss had worsened (I had been noticing changes). The audiologist confirmed some more hearing loss and also said that I likely had tinnitus. I have never seen an ENT because there really isn't anything that can be done with tinnitus. My aunt has it and has hearing aids. Even those don't help. She and her daughter who also has it were never tested either.

One thing the audiologist also told me is that it is not surprising that I got tinnitus in the ear that I have a better hearing level. I have a hearing loss in my left ear. The tinnitus is in the right ear. My right ear for many years has had to work harder to compensate for the hearing loss in the other ear. She told me that she has seen that quite often.

Tinnitus is more common than people know but is different for every person. Some have sounds that aren't annoying. Other people have sounds that are very annoying (ME). If you've been in a commercial building when a fire alarm goes off and know how annoying that sound is... that is what mine sounds like. Some times it is a quiet buzzing, some times it is a very loud buzzing. You just have to find what works for you as an individual to alleviate it.

(Sorry about the novel)

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

@zinzilah I hope your kitty comes home soon.

I sleep with a fan on most of the year to move the air, although I can sleep without it.

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Mostly I fall asleep best when it's silent, but sometimes, if I'm having trouble falling asleep, I'll play a podcast and fall asleep to that.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I need to get tested anyway, for my hearing in general. I hear a lot of buzzing, and sometimes nature sounds. or random sounds (like a baby crying if I heard one recently). My hearing almost brings things back to life from another experience. Oddly, when it's super noisy, I hear better in that situation. My husband finds this so intriguing.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@jk703 Never hurts to get hearing tested. I had mine tested because I wasn't hearing people that were talking behind me at a retreat. Someone was trying to get my attention and I never heard them. Someone across from me at the table told me someone behind me wanted my attention. Happened at work too when I was sitting at the desk not using the computer. My back was to everyone else in the room when I did that. I also had trouble hearing people that were sitting to my left. I'm fine face to face with people. When it is super noisy, I shut down. Pretty much end up being a zombie for a day or 2. I just can't process everything going on around me even if I'm outside when in large groups of people. "Wah wah wah" is all I hear!

The different decibels of sound ranges is what was tested. Some ranges I was OK, others not so much.

jk703 likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm an E 99% of the time. The other 1% is when it just gets too hot and I need the ceiling fan. I need complete dark and silence to sleep. That's why it works well that DH works nightshift because he has to have tv and it drives me crazy.

7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm totally fine sleeping with no noise. We do have a purifier in our room that runs and that's all that runs.

8. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Well... I have a fan going... but technically... total silence since I can't hear the fan since I'm deaf. The fan is just to keep cook air blowing on me. I also have good slobbering on me and kicking me while he is running in his sleep and sleeping eatting his dream steaks ....

9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I wish there was silence in our bedroom, but I live on a main street,so no hope of that.A fan runs for most of the year,because it is hot.

10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

For me its C - tv on. I don't sleep thru the night so I put the tv on, low volume. Usually I wake up 2-4 times a night, sometimes staying awake for a few minutes and other times an hour or two before falling back asleep. I pretty much always get out of bed between 6-7.

11. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

I have had the best sleep last night AFTER the beastie returned home as if nothing happened except she was ravenous and thirsty as anything... I am guessing she was locked in someone's garage or something like that. She is very cautious today, doesn't want to go more than a few metres in each direction from the house, mostly had her butt attached to the house or welcome mat, you call it a walk girl? poor wee thing. Will possibly get another good night, fingers crossed, now that all my fam is under the same roof for a little while. Bless you all for good thoughts and hopes that she returns to us.

bestcee, bonnenuit, rach3975 and 2 others like this.
  12. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

@zinzilah Wonderful news, Olga! So glad she is home and safe! :-)

13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

A. My fan is always on. Plus, I wear earplugs because hubby snores. So I have almost total silence.

14. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Oh I know this! Peri-menopausal my temperature would spike at least twice. Yuck! Waking up in sweat saturated sheets. Seriously yuck! Now, I tend to have a temp spike at about 4 am every morning. Biorhythms. Goodness.

It is amazing how important those hormones are, estrogen especially.

15. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

It has to be quiet. It takes me forever to fall asleep and it has to be very quiet. But our upstairs gets really hot so we need to sleep with a fan. We have a bladeless Dyson fan that isn’t that noisy but I still hear it.

Hubby snores so that’s a fun time. I can’t really wear ear plugs becauee I won’t hear my alarm go off for work. So I basically lay there hoping for divine intervention

16. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have to have a fan/white noise on or my brain imagines it hears noises that it really doesn't. :P

I cannot listen to anything with words (or my brain starts following along) so no TV, music, etc. for me. I don't like it pitch-black but I do need it dark(ish).

17. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Depending on the night it could be A, C, or E for me but mostly A!

18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

First, I'm so sorry for those dealing with tinnitus !!
    I like it DARK and QUIET. When hubs was in hospital two weeks ago, I made the mistake of leaving the tv plugged in. The little blue light kept me waking up- doze, wake, doze wake. UGH. I get soooo excited when I awaken realizing I actually slept through the niight- VERY RARE, maybe once every few months.

19. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Since earlier this year, I've been blessed with tinnitus as well. <sarcasm alert> (Imagine a hot summer night out in the country and you hear the noise of a thousand insects - that's what plays in my brain.) We sleep with a fan on every night - not because of the tinnitus, but so I don't combust from the heat generated as the night goes on. We do have a motion-activated nightlight in the bedroom as well.

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I sleep with a fan. Not necessarily my choice, but dh insists on it. Lately, our compromise is the ac isn't as low and there are 2 fans. They are pretty quiet, so that's nice. I can't with loud fans, the repetitive sound will grate on my nerves and keep me up.

I can't with tv or radio. It drives me nuts when my MIL has it up too loud and I can hear it. I love an open window and listening to nature. I don't mind white noises, or nature, but no voices. It gives me dreams that people are breaking in or whatever.

Husband doesn't snore anymore - CPAP is amazing! And his new one is super quiet.