Save me from the silver fox scammers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LynnG, Jun 16, 2022.

1. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Every day I go to Instagram and I have to zap several 'silver fox' followers who are clearly fake, some of them with the most hilarious bios.

("an honest man with love to give, I will never lie" or "I am divorce. Do not break my heart" yada yada yada)

[​IMG]

You get the drift.

[​IMG]

I love it when I get a genuine digiscrapper following me and, no lie, it would be fun to get to 1,000 followers ;-)

[​IMG]

I am a long way off that (especially since I zap a few hundred a year!) but if you don't follow me and think you might like to see my Insta posts, here I am:

https://www.instagram.com/lynn.grieveson/

[​IMG]

2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

:lol I haven't yet posted on my Instagram, so I've never bothered to go look at who is following me, but now I'm curious. :think

I was already following you :love, but I'm afraid I don't get over there very often. :blush

bellbird and LynnG like this.
  3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I get single military dads and Arabian men!

jk703, bellbird and LynnG like this.
  4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Mine at least are doctors! LOL!!!!

bellbird, Cherylndesigns and LynnG like this.
  5. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Every day, I swear! :giggle I have often wondered how high my follower count would be if I didn't block!

bellbird and LynnG like this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

In 2020 I was playing Words With Friends a lot, and I would get game invites from people who would chat with me through the in game messenger. I love Scrabble and chatting so I didn't mind. But several times it would turn into them trying to get me to switch to What's App and getting too personal. One guy even told me a sob story and asked for money! When I insisted on only playing the game and chatting in-app they rage quit our game. Finally I changed my profile photo to an image of clouds and stopped being contacted! :lol2

LynnG likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@michelepixels Maybe I need to change my profile pic too.
    I also get weird older men wanting to follow me.
    BLOCK, every time.
    I already follow you on Instagram, Lynn.
    Good luck with getting to 1000. You can totally do it.

LynnG likes this.
  8. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I think it’s time I cleaned mine out again. I noticed at least 10 more silver foxes over the past week

LynnG likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Mine tend to be military contractors in their bio and those with private accounts where you have to follow back to see. I haven't bothered to block, but maybe I should?

LynnG likes this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Lynn, I'm already a follower of yours.

I think I have to approve new followers to my account, not that I have many followers or post much of anything. I joined so I could my son and granddaughter on Instagram. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    LynnG likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am the worst at security for my social media accounts. I get new followers on Instagram and I never know what I'm supposed to do about that. It's often men that I know don't have any interest in my scrapping or painting, so I don't know if I'm supposed to block them or what. :giggle

12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I have an Instagram account but still don't really know how to use it. I follow people, that's about it. I have never figured out how to even upload a picture or a layout to it.

LynnG likes this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm like you. I just use mine to follow people and I have the setting set as a private account so that I have to approve someone following me. I have 3 posts all made from my phone when I set it up 8 years ago. But now I don't even have it on my phone. I have used the website for years and never knew how to upload a photo.

LynnG and djp332 like this.
  14. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I created an Instagram account ages ago, but I've never really figured out the draw (and it seems to have changed a lot over the years). Like a couple of others, my account is private and I mostly ignore it.

LynnG likes this.
  15. LynnG

LynnG Designer

My thought process behind ruthlessly blocking is that I think they hope that, even if they don't draw me in, they can use being 'my contact' to reach other people ie people are more likely to trust someone who is connected to someone they know or at least 'know of'.

I do wish I had more free time though. One day I'd love to try stringing some of them along by reaching out and seeing what happens .... ;-)

16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I get them too - love sunsets and long walks on the beach. My feed is private, but I get requests everyday - I have to accept/reject them. REJECT. :lol:lol

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  17. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

ROFLMAOOOO
    those bots are terrible. I hate them

But I think I'm following you, if not I will be now. ♥

18. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I get lots of randos on both my accounts. I don't block very often, only if they start messaging weird stuff. I often think about the fact that there are probably people who legitimately believe these fake accounts are real.

bellbird likes this.
  19. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

If you have to insist upon your honesty like this, you're probably being less than truthful :lol

One of my mother's friends, a Canadian snowbird who winters in Florida, almost got taken in, IRL, by a silver fox charmer/scammer. Her adult children thought this guy sounded too good to be true; and sure enough, he really was too good to be true! He was a bigamist at the very least; and he targeted lonely widows on holiday in Florida, went after their real estate and pension funds and such...

LynnG likes this.
  20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

How do you check their profile if their account is private? Sometimes people follow me and I can not identify them in any way. It looks questionable but maybe it's legit. I don't know!

bestcee likes this.