When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by StefanieS, Feb 12, 2022.

1. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have been creative and crafty for many years.
    As a child in primary school I tried out batik, calligraphy, lino cutting, decoupage, fabric painting, sewing, knitting, candle wicking. Honestly so many different things, the longest running creative hobby before I discovered scrapbooking, was cross-stitch.

But I digress.

[​IMG]

This week for the first time, I tried my hand at mosaic-ing. I was very wary. Those sharp shards of glass that went flying every where, what if I cut myself? My friend had done a class before and she was so confident in snipping and clipping the glass into different shapes. I wasn't really enjoying it too much until about an hour and a half into the class, when I hit my stride and discovered I loved placing the worm shaped slivers of glass and sticking them down. Who knew?

So share the details with me:
    1. Have you tried mosaic?
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass?
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking?
    4. What do you still want to attempt?
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time?

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1. Have you tried mosaic? I think I have with paper. And definitely digitally on a scrapbook page.
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass? In 8th grade Art Class, in 1985, we did a project involving some white substance we painted into a stencil attached to a mirror, so the white stuff stuck to the glass in the shape of the stencil. I had traced a cute cat from a coloring book for my stencil. I had that mirror hanging on my various walls until we redecorated in 2011. I think it's in a box in the basement now.
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? This question does not compute with me. I've been scrapbooking since I was 11 in 1983 as just something I do periodically. I didn't stop anything to do it.
    4. What do you still want to attempt? much more traveling! Oh, do you mean crafts? I'd like to do more knitting. So far I've only made a "washcloth" (it's actually serving as a soft place on my desk to set my camera/lenses), an afghan, and most of a scarf.
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? The first time I ever knitted was around 2008, I think. That's when I made the washcloth. Then it was a decade before I made the afghan in 2018; that's when I really learned how to knit, so it's kind of like it was my second first time.

I'm having trouble thinking of something to say I've done for the first time recently. Oh, I drove across the country for the first time last June. It felt like an accomplishment, for sure, but no individual part of it was a new activity, really. I guess life has been too stressful in recent years to decide to try something new. I usually like to though!

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

1. Have you tried mosaic? Just paper. I've never heard of the glass one you shared above!
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass? Painted on glass. And etched on it. But never used broken up pieces.
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? I didn't stop, but I read a little less. I started scrapping young, so I wasn't into a ton of stuff yet. Now, I sacrifice sleep sometimes, reading, and definitely housework to scrap.
    4. What do you still want to attempt? IDK. I'll have to think on this one.
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? Today. I bought a diamond painting. The one that has the little beads? And today I tried it out. It's actually kind of relaxing to me. (I bet it drives some people nuts!)

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1. Have you tried mosaic? No.
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass? No but many years ago I did the thing where you melted color pellets in a design by baking them in the oven. Some of the designs were mosaic looking.
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? Wasn't really deep into crafts when I started scrapbooking. That was my genealogy phase. At times I would still work on counted cross stitch as well as scrapbooking.
    4. What do you still want to attempt? I would like to make an afghan from the pattern my mom used but I need to get much better at knitting to do it. It has been quite a few years since I tried to knit, maybe 15? I was good at fun fur scarves and made a few dishcloths that I still use.
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? Knitting.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

1. Have you tried mosaic? Not in the sense you're probably talking about.
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass? No
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? Crocheting, Cross Stitching
    4. What do you still want to attempt? Crocheting
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? Decorating my front porch with hay bales. LOL

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. Have you tried mosaic? In 8th grade art, I did a piece that consisted of small paper pieces like tiles and fit them together like a mosaic. Never any stained glass work or true mosaic art.

2. Have you created with glass or on glass? I have created on glass. I went through a period when Olivia was young where I painted on vases and sets of glasses. It's fun to go to visit family and still see my creations.

3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? I didn't stop doing anything when I first started scrapbooking as far as crafts go. I **DID** sacrifice sleep many times to scrapbook. LOL At that time I was cross stitching and doing some coloring and reading A LOT. I have always been cyclical about creating though. I'll go through periods where one craft takes precedence over the others, but then it will switch around.

4. What do you still want to attempt? I really want to master watercolors. I enjoy painting with them, but I'd love to be really comfortable with the materials.

5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? I suppose that would have to be watercolors. I know I've always used them, but it's been in the last few years that I've purchased really good supplies.

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

So share the details with me:
    1. Have you tried mosaic? Yes, long time ago, I kept cutting myself and decided it was not for me.
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass? See above!
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? Sewing and making cards.
    4. What do you still want to attempt? Ceramics!!!!!!
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? WOW, I can't remember and that is sad!!!!! I better try something new soon.

8. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

1. Have you tried mosaic? - With paper, yes. Digitally, yes. Glass, no.

2. Have you created with glass or on glass? Yes, this summer I had the opportunity to make a molten glass paperweight

3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? Rubber stamping, although I alternate back and forth now.

4. What do you still want to attempt? I want to learn how to use the new cutter I got for Christmas, and spend more time with my paper supplies. I used to love paper scrapping.

5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? Crafting - the last thing I did for the first time was the MOC challenge where we had to make our own background out of stamps. That was totally new for me digitally, and I liked it!

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Stefanie, that's REALLY pretty!
    DH's grandfather was a consumate stained glass artist. DH would like to give it a try.
    1. Have you tried mosaic?
    Yes. Have YOU ever tried it with dried beans/lentils?? I can be really cool!

2. Have you created with glass or on glass?
    Yes, I used to paint on mirrors.
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking?
    Nothing. I've always like having several projects of different mediums in process at same time.
    4. What do you still want to attempt?
    A big fancy loom!!, and spinning my own art yarns.
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time?
    Warped a circle loom vertically (as opposed to sprial)

10. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

1. Have you tried mosaic? No. Me and broken glass would not be a happy match, LOL!
    2. Have you created with glass or on glass? When I was a teenager I did some glass blowing. You had a long, hollow metal pole with molten glass on the end. You blew into it to open a space (think the inside of a vase, cup, whatever) and then kept putting it back in the heat to keep it malleable so you could shape it with tools, blowing, and turning. I spent a few summers at a very cool arts camp for teens called Bucks Rock, and that's one of many things I tried for the first time there.
    3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? Crocheting
    4. What do you still want to attempt? Craft-wise nothing I can think of right now. There are things I love the idea of but don't honestly want to invest time and money in.
    5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? I don't know. It was probably something small that didn't make much of an impression. For major things, they've mostly been career-focused. I have a part here to replace the bezel around my laptop's screen since mine cracked--when I replace it, that will be my most recent new thing, I suppose!

11. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

1. Have you tried mosaic? No

2. Have you created with glass or on glass? No

3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? Maybe reading less

4. What do you still want to attempt? Water colours

5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? Knitting. I had done it when I was quite young and then relearned a couple of years ago. I’m not good though, lol.

12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@michelepixels I never even considered paper mosaic-ing. Then I have done that in paper and digi also. You've been scrapbooking a LONG time, wow. I want to travel more too, here's hoping. i would count driving across the country for the first time, definitely.

@bestcee Love the idea pf painting on glass and etching on glass. Sacrificing sleep is a huge sacrifice, dropping housework down the to-do list totally acceptable. i tried diamond dots, had such a headache from keeping my head at that angle - decided that it wasn't for me.

@HavaDrPepper Melting color pellets also sounds like fun. I used to love knitting then discovered crochet and it goes so much faster and I don't need to look at it all the time.

@Cherylndesigns Love the idea of decorating the porch with hay bales. I loved crocheting, haven't done any this year though.

@gonewiththewind I love that you can visit your creations at family members homes. I have also been cyclical- but after I found scrapbooking nothing else came close. I have a mountain of things that need to be finished though, a quilt, crochet, cross- stitch and books.

@Dalis - That glass is so sharp, I don't blame you. I don't think I can sign up for the pain and the blood. Ceramics...painting them r creating them from clay? I think we all need to try something new for the first time. It has been fun for me.

@Aerobigirl I never thought of paper or digi, I have done both too. A molten glass paper weight sounds amazing. I had forgotten I did rubber stamping too, back in the day when card making - before scrapping. I find digi so much faster than paper, I gave most of my supplies away. Love that you enjoyed the stamped background for MOC.

@AJK Thanks, I was so happy and inordinately proud of myself actually. Love that you painted on mirrors, can totally see you being incredibly creative. Love the loom idea too, and spinning your own yarns. Wonderful.

@rach3975 I was totally intimidated with the shards of sharp glass flying around. I am envious of you glass blowing - that sounds so amazing as well. My crocheting lies untouched. Crafts can be so pricy.

@jaye Knitting can be fun, water colour painting is fantastic. My daughter tried it recently and she creates amazing pictures. Pinterest and insta can be your friends.

13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I tried crochet as well. Could not get the hang of it at all!

14. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I can’t get a straight edge to save my life, lol. All the blankets I’ve made are wonky.

15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm doing #New52 this year so I've done at least one new thing every week since January 1. This past week's new thing was trying a new restaurant (which ended up being 3 new restaurants) + a bonus new thing of wearing false lashes.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

1. Have you tried mosaic? I have actually. I made the coolest turtle stepping stone a long time ago and I still have it, but for some random reason it's in the garage and not in the yard. Lol.

2. Have you created with glass or on glass? I have! I used to do a ton of stained glass, and just a tiny bit of mosaic stuff. I made lots of window hangings and then really loved making lamps. I used to give stained glass lamps to my friends when they got married. I stopped when I had babies because it just did work... plus... see the next question...

3. What did you stop doing when you started scrapbooking? I discovered scrapbooking (paper in 2000) and digital scrapbooking in 2006 and haven't done any stained glass since. Oops! I do still have all of the stuff and I have a tiffany reproduction lamp that is about 1/3 complete and I really want to finish that someday!

4. What do you still want to attempt? Building furniture from scratch. I've made some really simple items, but I've been collecting woodworking tools over the last couple of years and trying to work up the courage to try building something new.

5. What was the last thing you did for the first time? This weekend! I taught myself how to reupholster a really ugly floral couch! :giggle I'm adding it to my list of things to scrap about. :agree

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I forgot to say how cool your mosaic is Stefanie! Such tiny little piece of glass! I love the colors in your finished project!