Gutted....ACDSee

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 17, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This is what support have suggested I try which is great but for some reason I just have doubts that it will totally work and I won't lose any tagging https://support.acdsee.com/en/suppo...move-acdsee-database-folder-to-a-new-location I've done so much tagging over and over again, I really don't want to have to retag everything if for what ever reason it doesn't work/I lose my existing database/lose more tags

bestcee likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

At this point, I'm not even sure, I know I regularly attach metadata through ACDSee but whether thats the same thing I'm not sure

3. littlekiwi

@Tree City just had a closer look and yes the meta data is embedded and can be seen in the properties of the file when in the "properties" pane of a file in Windows Explorer. I'm just more and more confused as to what I should do with this as one part of me is like...jump ship from ACDSee to god knows what but the other part of me is like, nope I've paid for it so I should be able to use it normally

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@littlekiwi I get it. Why stop using a program you paid for? But at the same time, why use a program that doesn't work for you?

bestcee, HavaDrPepper and littlekiwi like this.
  5. littlekiwi

And I'm back having issues with losing my database, sure I can keep restoring the database and embedding tags but it doesn't seem to prevent the entire issue....I'm beginning to wonder if the issues I'm having are less related to ACDSee and more related to my 5 year old laptop and ACDSee just happens to be the "weak link". Just got to save the other $600 and I'll have a new pc

6. littlekiwi

now I have a real issue, ACDSee is taking forever to restore my database, is it worth it for me to keep going or just flag it and wait til I have a new computer to do the restore (thinking its probably going to be 4-8 weeks away). I did try a couple of days ago as well and it was just as slow.If I don't restore, I've got none of my tagging available until the new computer which is kind of annoying. I'm thinking its really slow for one or two reasons....1) slow computer in general and 2) potentially a large database (I'm unsure how big the database is)

7. littlekiwi

I'm not even 1/4 of the way restored. I think I screwed up when setting up the back up as I've got the files, I just need the database which is after this part of restoring the files. Not sure if I should give up restoring and start afresh again.....bit over doing that but it might be better than waiting hours or days for my computer to do this restoration

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I would wait for the new computer.
    Also, it does sound like you backed up more than needed, but I'm not sure what the right settings are?