Work In Progress Layouts

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Oct 26, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

How do you get past layouts that you are struggling with? I've done two layouts today where all I could do is photos and template choice.....I am struggling to find kits I like to go with my photos/stories I want to tell. I've saved both of them which is so unlike me....I'm normally a finish a page in one session but these two just aren't flowing for some reason.....honestly think its because I'm struggling to find product that will work in my stash

gonewiththewind likes this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

For the most part, though, I finish layouts in one session. I try to be quick about my decisions and then stick with them. Even with doing that, I **still** have times that a layout doesn't work for me. I will save the layouts just as you have and then leave it for a day or two. When I go back with fresh eyes, I usually can spot what's bothering me. Sometimes it's a matter of changing the photo editing or a piece of paper or an element. On rare occasions, I just have to ditch it and start over completely.

I don't know how personal the story is that you are trying to tell, but if you feel comfortable doing it, share the draft layout with the photos. Getting someone else's viewpoint on products to go with the photos might be just the thing you need. :)

3. littlekiwi

I haven’t done the journaling yet for either as I usually do it towards the end but I am happy to save what I’ve done and share it though it’s not much yet.

4. littlekiwi

@gonewiththewind - here they both are as they stand now. I will say I am not 100% locked into the template choices I've made this far either but my issue is more of the product choices for the rest of the layout

Using Joy In the Now Dressed Down by Fiddle Dee Dee Designs
    General story for this page is wandering a small village on Vancouver Island that's known for having murals on buildings
    Chemainus-Murals.jpg

Using My Darling Dressed Down by Fiddle Dee Dee Designs
    FYI: I have played with photo placement of these but unless I get cut off/or Flat Stanley gets cut off I'm not able to rejig the photos that much. I am happy to lose the smaller one of me if it works better though.
    General story for this is I was part of a "Flat Stanley" group on a message board and I took him to a day out in a small village and went to the beach (in our winter) before sending him to his next host.
    Flat-Stanley.jpg

I had considered the sand alpha in this pack from Allison for the Flat Stanley layout
    [​IMG]

For either layout I had also considered using this collection from Little Butterfly Wings & Studio Basic but I have used it a fair bit recently so I'm kind of in two minds about it and I'm not sure its a great fit either.
    [​IMG]

5. gonewiththewind

I know you've mentioned that you have a large Just Jaimee stash, so I'm suggesting this one for the Flat Stanley layout, based on your hoodie color and that you are at the beach. I think it would also work well with that alpha from Allison.

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

And for your Vancouver page, another kit by Just Jaimee:

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

That could work, I hadn't thought of that with it being a summer kit as it was the middle of Winter here when I had Flat Stanley

Anyway I just had a play with a different template from the same set and I think I like it better
    Flat-Stanley-2.jpg

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  8. littlekiwi

Great choice and again, one I have in my wishlist but haven't bought just yet

9. littlekiwi

rach3975, bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  10. littlekiwi

11. littlekiwi

Thanks for your help @gonewiththewind - I think I was stuck on theme rather than looking at colors initially so didn't really "see" what was virtually in front of me the whole time!

12. gonewiththewind

@littlekiwi Your pages look amazing and I'm so glad I was able to help you refocus and get those layouts complete for your albums! One of my favorite challenges is to try to use a themed kit for a non-themed layout. Once I did that first challenge years ago, I started looking at my kits differently.

littlekiwi likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yay! Your pages look great. And what a fabulous idea to crowdsource some help!

14. littlekiwi

I was like I know I have stuff that will work but all I was finding was bits and pieces so nothing was truly gelling like I’d hoped. I am trying to make good use of my week long trial for PSCC before I decide whether to subscribe - still on the fence. I like it but whether I like it enough is another thing.

bestcee likes this.
  15. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I love this idea! Great pages, @littlekiwi .

bestcee likes this.
  16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

The layouts look great, and I'm glad Cheryl was able to help you break through your block. I've been dealing with a lot of that lately, too. So frustrating!

17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

18. littlekiwi

Thanks Christa! Now I can totally see that they were perfect kits....I think for the Flat Stanley one in particular I was getting hung up on Beach which kind of meant summer type kits and I was scrapping a day during winter so just hit a roadblock but as soon as Cheryl mentioned matching to what I was wearing it came together so easily.

cfile likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

This one has been staring me in the face for a few days....I have a few kit ideas that I already own but none feel quite right

It's pictures from visiting girl scout troops and provincial headquarters while I was heavily involved in girl guides/scouts years ago. I know there is a Girl Scout kit but would rather not buy that just for one layout

girl-guides.jpg

While the theming isn't perfect on these kits I'm thinking they may work but not 100% convinced about any of them so open to suggestions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I put them in a folder named WIPs and just forget about them for a while. I go back later and if I still feel that way, I trash them.