Tips for stretching your stash?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by LivyBug, Sep 9, 2021.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Angela uses affinity software, but I think the idea would be the same in PSE or CC. The idea is to make a brush from the element. Duplicate the element to a new file so you don't ruin it. Flood fill the element with black (ctrl, shift, alt, backspace) and choose edit > define brush. Name it and now you have a brush to use. HTH :agree

BrushFromElement_web.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

You mean you don't take after your mom and use everything in sight on your pages? LOL!

I'm a big fan of kits with lots of papers, both solid and patterns. I use a lot of Liz's templates and hers just scream to use lots of papers.

LivyBug and Angela Toucan like this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

The method @keepscrapping shows is one way I've used elements as brushes. I don't know if you can do this one in Photoshop, but in Affinity we can also use image brushes, these are great for turning elements into scatters, or a row of straight stitching into a drawing brush to make curves etc. If using the elements as scatter brushes I can have multiple elements or just one in the brush, and can set it to rotate, resize and change the spacing etc. I could do some Affinity tutorials later in the week.
    Screenshot 2021-09-12 094223.jpg
    in the screenshot above the flowers are from Lynn Grieveson's Glitz Girl, and those sunny faces are stickers from Becca Bonneville's Universe is Calling.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  4. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Hmm, I'm curious if PS has a similar feature. So cool!

5. LivyBug

Oh, I definitely do. But it's just from one kit. Maybe that's why I feel like after scrapping with a kit twice that there's no more to do lol.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  6. LivyBug

Thank you!! I'll have to try that.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

We'd have to check your "scrapping DNA" if you didn't use everything in sight! You two are far more alike in your scrapping styles than my mum and I ever were, though now that I have discovered my love for digi paint and stitching I'm getting closer

LivyBug likes this.
  8. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Me too! I love using lots of papers, and I love how Liz's templates sort of give me permission to do that.

For me, the best way to stretch my stash is to "shop my stash" and actually use some of the stuff that I've already bought but have yet to use. A few weeks ago, I found a great kit (Kristin Aagard's "Artsy") that I had purchased a couple of years ago for some hypothetical LO that never materialized, and it was like finding a new kit ("Wow, this is great! Why haven't I used this yet?!"), and I had great fun making a new LO.

bestcee, Angela Toucan and LivyBug like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My best way of stretching my stash is using the search function in Windows for whatever type of page I'm making... so like if I'm making a camping page, I search for camping and see what pops up. More often than not, I find something I completely forgot about in my stash and then it's brand new again. :giggle And then I also get a couple options and that helps me mix and match stuff so it's also like a new collab kit!

LivyBug likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I just did a stash-busting layout! I went into my folders and picked a designer. In this case, it was Sahlin Studio. I started with a patriotic kit I knew that I had. Then I simply looked at the folder previews and opened up products that caught my eye. I ended up using 10 different products.

And this is a related, but separate, comment . . . I love how TLP designers don't do a lot of product retiring. These products might be older releases, but they are still beautiful and I ended up with a page that looks like I made with a new release!

Here's the layout:

[​IMG]

rach3975, LivyBug, bonnenuit and 4 others like this.
  11. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

Love the ideas above.

I also use the search function on my computer to look for certain elements. Another thing that I always do when I want to stretch a kit is, I'd go shopping in my stash and look for kits that have similar colours, create shortcuts to their folders, and place the shortcuts in the same folder as the kit that I want to stretch. This way, I have similar-coloured elements or papers that I can browse through instead of being limited to just one kit. Kind of like my own BYOC, hehe.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Lived in Vegas for 4 years. There was 1 day of tiny snow. That was hard in January with all the snow kits!

rach3975 and Angela Toucan like this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My mom and I have totally different styles too. We always have from when we did paper to now doing digi. What's funny is with paper I was the plainer one, with digi she is.

14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

There's a lot of style differences here too with me and the Toucanettes.

bestcee likes this.