Photoshop CC 22.3.1 file size

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by amien1, Apr 26, 2021.

1. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Anyone else notice after the latest update that the file sizes are just huge- like over 10mb when I flatten & save!?

I would occasionally have a very large one if I had a super detailed background paper but even all of my full size layout since this last update have to be (ctrl + shift + alt + w/ or Export As- I hate the save for web in CC) to get under 5mb. I've searched a bit on Adobe's community forums & haven't found anything but I swear it's only been after this last update... Just me? anyone else? ;)

**I always save my 12x12 300 dpi around 5mb, then resize to 600x600 or 700x700 & save under 500kb

2. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

Hi Amie
    what kind of Quality do you choose if you save your flattened file? I save everything with a Quality of 8.
    If you have 10 it increases the size a lot.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-26 um 18.20.50.jpg

amien1 likes this.
  3. amien1

I change it to get to around 5mb- so sometimes it's 8 sometimes it's 10- but lately I can't get it to 5mb even at a 1 (which I never would use...) Instead I just save it at 8 and then do my export as shortcut to get it down to around 5mb. So weird!

4. amien1

For example- this layout I just did (this is after it's resized to 600x600 (!!!)) I realize the busy background makes a difference but 7.3MB for a 600x600 layout is excessive compared to what it used to be!
    pscc.JPG

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm still in OLD CS5 Photoshop, but I have noticed this happening more often too. I wondered if it's because more designers are using CC and it's saving more detail in their files, therefore causing even my files to increase. Sometimes the stamping thing doesn't even work and my only option to get my 600 x 600 files size down small enough to post online is to do the save for web... which I also hate. The quality is just not great.

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I haven't noticed any issues. I've created small actions that I use to do all of my various flat saves. The first steps are always:
    1. Select all
    2. Copy merged
    3. Create new document
    4. Paste
    From there I do whatever resizing, etc. and then save, either just using Save As for larger images or the Export > Save for Web for smaller online images. Doing those numbered steps clears out all of the extra hidden stuff that is lurking in your file and just puts your final pixels into a fresh "uncontaminated" file. Just merging your existing file can still have unnecessary data bulking up the file size.

Hope that helps!

bestcee, Karen and amien1 like this.
  7. amien1

Oh good idea! I have actions that I used now- but maybe I'll have to add that into them. My is: 1. Flatten 2. file info (stop to add credits into metadata) 3. save

And then I have different resizing actions for 900x900, 700 & 600: 1. Image Size resolution 72dpi 2. fit image 900/700/600 3. smart sharpen (slight increase) 4. saturation (slight increase) 5. Save with copy

I even have actions to add my ct banners too- I'm slightly action-obsessed! ;)

Karen and KimJ like this.
  8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Yes, those numbered steps I listed would basically replace your #1. I don't put anything into the metadata, so that would be the only other place I could see file size creep. If you're still running into problems, you could try it without adding the metadata and see if that makes a difference.

amien1 likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Like Kim mentions above, I think it might be the metadata, Amie. I don't love CC's SFW, either, but I notice a huge decrease in file size if I use it and make sure to "uncheck" Save metadata (or "include file info" or however it's worded lol).

You could try saving without any metadata; then, close PS, open it back up and open your file. Add the metadata and choose Save As: save this Metadata-ized version and see if it has an increased file size.

amien1 likes this.
  10. amien1

The crazy thing is that's how I've ALWAYS saved my credits- and didn't notice a huge increase in size before. It literally has just started after this last update. But I will try your suggestion & see if for some reason now it does make it so much larger!

Tree City likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm going to go try it out! I hadn't noticed.
    But, I'm wondering if something changed to have it save the photo metadata, kit metadata, and such too?

12. amien1

So funny thing- of course as soon as I post about it- Neither have the last 2 layouts been super big (even WITH adding the credits in the file info like I've always done.) :eyeroll Just for fun, I did try not adding the metadata & it didn't change the sizing at all... so who the heck knows!? :crazy3

bestcee and KimJ like this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

[​IMG]
    lol, fun gifs aside, I honestly don't know. PS likes to mess with us, doesn't it? :)

amien1 and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Maybe they pushed a silent fix?

But yeah for it working again!!

amien1 likes this.