Earth Day | Pad Patter 4.22

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Apr 22, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Today is Earth Day.
    I know because I got some ads on how to spend money to celebrate in my email. Okay, I actually knew anyway, but seriously. What's with random companies trying to make their products fit every.single.holiday?!?!?

Back on topic: Are you doing anything special for Earth Day? We are supposed to be getting a tree for munchkin to plant from a program. I'm thinking the snow yesterday has held that up, plus the frost has made the ground pretty hard right now. We want to plant one anyway, but I think we'll wait until next week when it's warmer.

Does your town/city/country celebrate in a special way?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I know in non-pandemic years the park service has done something, but I can't remember what. I haven't done anything specific, but then I try to do little things all year long like using native plants in my garden, no pesticides/artificial fertilizers, recycling, having a compost bin, bringing goods to thrift stores rather than trashing - and then going into said stores to purchase more things. That's the ultimate recycling! LOL~!

bestcee likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I know when Daniel was in elementary school that they always had some kind of activity for Earth Day. Now that he's in high school, I don't even know that it's mentioned unless you are in an Earth Science class. Hmmm. I'll have to ask him about that.

As far as our little town, we don't have anything, but the next city over, they do have events scheduled for Saturday. Music, speakers, etc. Like a mini festival.

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

Oh that reminds me! Our thrift store here is having a big sale. I want to check it out. Munchkin could use some clothes.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. bestcee

That's fun!

Our waste department is giving away a rain barrel, but I think that's it. I love little town mini-festivals though!

gonewiththewind and QuiltyMom like this.
  6. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

In non-Covid times our parks and rec probably does something, but I doubt they're having much this year. In preschool we do our Taking Care of the Earth theme the week of Earth Day. My daughter's elementary school did a grounds cleanup today at recess. I don't think the MS or HS did anything, at least not that my kids mentioned.

7. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

We used to get tiny, little pine trees given to us at school to bring home and plant when I was in elementary school. I don't know why schools don't do anything around here that I know of. We also used to plant flowers around the school, too. It's way too cold to plant anything here in PA right now, but hopefully soon!

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Courtney @bestcee I thought the same thing. WTHeck??? ANY excuse for a sale, I guess. But, Earth Day? My inbox was full of "Earth Day" sales and specials.

Earth Day should be every day. :heartlub:heartlub

bestcee likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I try to be kind to Earth every day. :) I just had a usual work day today. While driving from one address to another to deliver packages, I admired how green everything is becoming.

bestcee likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

It dawned on me at the end of the day that it was Earth Day. I mean I knew that and had planned to do some activity with the kids or at least talk about it, but somehow in the midst of the crazy, I just forgot. :spin

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

Random Update: We did get a little baby tree. Munchkin brought it home from school. He says "Mom, I got a tree today. Apparently, you sign me up for everything." :rofl Turns out, only 2 kids in his class got one. I'm not sure if he was embarrassed or happy? He is excited to plant it, so I guess that's something?