Who's in the path of Brood X?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Apr 15, 2021.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

It's the summer my son has been dreading for years, the emergence of the Brood X cicadas. I remember the last time they came out 17 years ago and it wasn't very fun since they're EVERYWHERE.

One male even attached itself to the underside of my hat and sounded its mating call ... I thought there was a fire truck directly behind me it was so loud! When I couldn't see the truck I checked my hat. I had a hard time hearing from that ear for an hour or so.

So, who out there will be blessed with "hosting" these creatures? That way we can commiserate with each other when the time comes.

And for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is what they look like. They're about 1-1/2' long.

[​IMG]

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Me ... I live near Tysons Corner in NoVA. I hate cicadas, or at least the Brood X invasion. My granddaughter had a blast collecting them back in 2004 ... somehow I don't think she'll be collecting them this year, lol!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

They live here in my town. However, they are more concentrated up near one of the rivers that runs through the city. You can hear the noise increase as you drive into that area. Sounds like a bunch of aliens.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

AJK and QuiltyMom like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

You're close to me! I'm up in Bailey's Crossroads and my DH works in Tysons.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

My DD was in preschool and I can't tell you how many times she came home with cicada crafts that spring!

One of my neighbors lives a mile from me in a highly wooded area. she said she'd have to go out every morning and shovel her walk and drive so she could get to her car. EEk!

I found one last week when doing some gardening. I moved a pot that was directly on the ground and out it came!

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I guess so . . . ? I'm down in Fredericksburg. Or maybe not the same brood. I remember getting some around a decade ago, not 2004.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Ours are not until more years, no offense but I hate them.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We had Brood IX last year. Here at the house it wasn't as bad as it was 17 years ago, I think because we cut down a lot of trees in that time. But we sure heard them on our hikes and my cats liked bringing them to the front door.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. BevG

So I looked and we are NOT getting Brood X. According to the map that was posted we have the 13 year variety and have until 2024 before they show up. That said -- we have lots of regular cicadas that are loud, especially when joined by the crickets and ?? It is not quiet in the south.

From an August night in my backyard.

QuiltyMom and AJK like this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Well, that should count me out- :agree but we'll see!

@BevG Sounds like a miniature wood shop!! Since the Pee Dee is so stinkin' swampy, add several bull frogs and you have MY backyard serenade! :D

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. BevG

Well I have a video of that too, but the pond is about 1/4 mile up the street so we only hear the froggy things when we are near it.

13. QuiltyMom

I remember last time I called my parents so they could hear it. I had to use our land line rather than my cell because the cell service considered the roar background noise and buffered it all out! Also, you could always tell which shows on HGTV that were filmed in what area of the country just by the noise! I thought that was funny.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It looks like they are very close to me, but not quite in my area. I'm in the very SW corner of Michigan, so it looks like we'll have a batch in 2024. Just across the state line in Indiana it looks like the Brood X will be hatching. I might go for a drive to see if I can find any. I know they are huge, but they are kinda cool. I actually found a cicada just sitting in the parking lot of my work place last week. It had gotten really warm and then the temps dropped again, so maybe it came out and then got frozen? I didn't even take a picture. Oops.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

not here in Va Beach.. we are spared.. thank goodness.. they are not coming to Hampton Roads.. they are staying in Northern VA.. guess they didn't want to go on vacation to the Beach LOL... I am so grateful.. I dislike them!

HeatherB and QuiltyMom like this.
  16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We have enough alien bugs here in Florida, so I'm happy to report that these bugs are not going to be around here.

We get the huge Palmetto bugs aka big ole roach. One time, my hubby was trying to kill one that had got into the house and he hit it hard with his shoe and the thing turned and started running at him. It had really long legs, so it was flat on the ground and then lifted up. Jay was screaming, it's after me! It's got a lift kit! Bwahahahahaha! That was a night of side splitting laughter for me!

17. QuiltyMom

Oh. My. Goodness. I would’ve died! I don’t have a bug phobia so I would’ve been laughing with y’all!

You are so lucky!

They’re kinda cool if you haven’t seen a swarm come out and hatch/mate like that. But having to deal with it (and the huge mess of cleaning up skins and carcasses afterwards) for at least a month tries the patience of a saint. They fly at you, drop onto you, make noise 24/7, and molt everywhere. I also guess they’re a huge delicacy for people who eat insects. Last time people came from around the world just to eat them! Eek!

gonewiththewind and Karen like this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Lol and they fly too Cheryl! They really are huge.. palmetto bugs is the snooty word to make them sound more ‘posh’ but you are so right.. they are roaches.. they are huge like that in TX too.. lol

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We have some cicada shells in our tree. No idea how long they have been there? But we knocked them down. With the map above, we look on the edge of this year or 2024.

So did I! I was digging out ivy and stumbled upon one. It may have been sleeping. It's dead now.

QuiltyMom and HeatherB like this.
  20. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Ew...that pretty much says it all. Just ew!! I am not a bug person. I'm glad we don't have to contend with this in our part of the country!