Old school | Pad Patter 26 Mar

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Mar 26, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So this week i reluctantly tackled one of the jobs i procrastinate regularly, photographing and then deciding whether to throw out items from the kids 'made this/wrote this' pile that accumulates into a fire hazard. One of the things i found was a 'note to self' DD had written when she was 10yrs (&10months!) old, because she wrote that exact age on it - it was addressed to herself and marked as 'to open when in Year11 at school - which she is this year. It was just her likes and ambitions from back then and such but it was cute to see. This lead me in to the next task of culling through their old school books. So much of their work is now done in a google classroom (which i don't see unless they print something out and have some kind of printer accident (which is actually pretty frequent; sometimes asking for 1 copy of something somehow translates to this stupid printer as 'print 3 copies!' Uggh!) But anyway, it made it a bit harder to cull some of their school workbooks - like the early handwriting practice books (where DS still wrote S's backwards) & spelling list practice books with the kinda weird sentences they made up to show examples of use.

Do you have your kids or your own workbooks from school? (And if so, how do you store it?) Or do you have a rule that you stick with, like only keeping work from a few years back in case it's still relevant for them??)

2. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Oh gosh Justine, I can so relate to your post. I went through years of stuff back in February. To be totally fair, I'm a ridiculously sentimental person, so it's SOOOO hard for me to part with stuff ... and to have to wade through 3 kids' worth of stuff about did me in. Some of it I scanned and dumped, so I still had record of it but not the clutter. I have a big box of projects and other noteworthy assignments, but dumped a bunch of it.

bellbird likes this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I have a few not all in folders in a cabinet, nothing fancy.

bellbird likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

No kids so have nothing there.

However, when I cleaned out the basement, I had to go through all of my notes from my college classes... in the 1970's. Also some stuff I had from when I taught 1 year in a local business school (handouts etc), most of which I had obtained during my college days in business ed classes. Since it was all paper, I recycled it.

I also found some school work belonging to my mother when she was 13 years old. One item was really interesting since it was a mini scrapbook of "13 things about me at 13" (written in 1945). I scanned it and recycled the original. All the gradebooks from her 32 years of teaching were down there as well. Got rid of those too. They hadn't been looked at for 35 years, why keep them.

Let's put it this way... I got rid of a heck of a lot during the purge. Anything that I thought was interesting, I either took a picture or scanned then got rid of it because to be honest, most of the stuff was falling apart anyways.

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

What a treasure!! Scrapbooking must be in your blood!

6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I got better and better at throwing things out with each kid lol. I have tried to keep a few things from each one, but more of Chance's stuff is in picture form rather than the original. As they got older, a lot of their stuff was thrown away by them before I ever saw it. I have a few of my things and they are tucked away in our attic space (which I really need to clean out). The kids' stuff is here and there, in drawers and cabinets...no organization at all.

bellbird likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Looking back, that is a definite! I used to put newspaper articles in those artist drawing paper tablets when I was in high school and college. Photos went in albums. Mom did photo albums of my childhood that sadly were falling apart. I transferred everything in them to Creative Memories albums. She included all kinds of ephemera as well as photos and most things had a notation of what/where/when for it. I also found an album she had done of her wedding! That ended up being one of the first things I transferred to a CM album since it was falling apart. I never knew she had it and found it in a closet when I was moving into that bedroom.

Sadly, I didn't actually find "scrapbooking" until after she had passed away. Had it been around and popular even 15 years earlier I think it would have been something we would have done together.

bellbird likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

DD is in her 3rd year of Uni and we recently got rid of grade8, 9, 10 etc note books.
    She doesn't want to keep them, I have her early years and her art photographed and her written stories so I think we are good.
    Each of the kids now has a container of stuff to keep and I am good with that.

It would have been better if they decided for themselves what was important but they left it to me.

bellbird likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am still trying to go through stuff.. I went through and chucked 2 bags of stuff.. old papers over 100 years etc photos with unknown origins or of a fish or a tree LOL I have tons more to do but my mental state has issues going through my parents stuff plus my old stuff. I have stuff like stamp collections etc and while I do not like yard sales there are things worth money so I need to take the stamps to a stamp collector etc. I do not sell on the likes of ebay etc. I do not trust that stuff so that is wearing me down too once I go through stuff is where can I go to sell. I have reel to reel tapes with the recorder, my mother would splice home movies so I have the splicer and other stuff the metal movie reels all that stuff and no clue where to part with it. I have VCR tapes to ditch amongst other things.. It is so overwelming for sure and the older paper is it is a fire hazard so the stuff I do not need that is not family history needs to get tossed. UGH

bellbird likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I photograph large art items. Most of Daniel's is pretty slim because so much is online or computer based, even when he was in middle school. Olivia has quite a bit of her own memorabilia and such from high school, but what I do have . . . certificates, ribbons, special writing . . . for both O & D, I have one box and they have a folder for each year. I can't remember now the website where I got the labels and form from, but here's what it looks like. You can click on the thumbnails to see the photos larger.

2019-07-05_Pixel3XL (1).jpg 2019-07-05_Pixel3XL (2).jpg 2019-07-05_Pixel3XL (3).jpg 2019-07-05_Pixel3XL (4).jpg 2014-07-29 14.49.45-10.jpg 2014-07-29 14.49.31-9.jpg 2014-07-29 14.49.59-11.jpg 2014-07-29 14.50.35-12.jpg

SeattleSheri likes this.
  11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I photographed anything I wanted to save and kept very little of the paperwork my kids produced. What I have kept is in a file cabinet.

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

DD's method of organisation is throwing everything on the floor - i've sorted so much paperwork into the appropriate school year for filing away in the last week or two it is ridiculous but i think i had a similar organisation method myself in high school so i guess this is the karma my mum always warned me about!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

it definitely sounds like it and having notes and info kept with the photos and even ephemera is pretty priceless

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lol i don't have a crystal ball but i can already see this will be me in the future too

16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I photograph a lot of things and have them on EHD's. There are some things I just can't part with. The grandkids about ran me out of the house with all of their art. As they got older, their art got photographed and they get the biggest kick out of seeing pictures of some of their art projects.

That being said, I still have tons of pictures and slides. Yikes! Slides were "the thing" at one time and I had everything to show them. Like people really wanted to sit and look at slides. LOL I'm in the process of scanning my slides - I'm doing them myself, but I'm going to give up and take them somewhere. It's a grueling job.

It's really draining to look at old pictures, like Christa @cfile - she put it so succinctly - "mentally draining". I just can't do it for very long and then I'm depressed, so I don't put myself through it very often. Some of you know that I lost my son several years ago and I can still hardly stand to go through old pictures. I have beautiful pictures from his Marine Graduation that I've asked Ava to do something with one of these days. They're all safely stored away but they pretty much stay there. Anything after the digital age is safe and I have lots and lots and lots of digital pictures. I've been on Flickr since 2008 and have about 30,000 pictures on there. :faint2

cfile likes this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Big hugs my friend. I did not know re your son. Sending a big hug. xo (I have scanned all my slides and still have them and the movies and the reel to reel .. I don't know what to do with them. It will hurt me so much to throw them out.)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have some originals - combo of art work and school work. Plus various awards. I haven't kept a lot but what I do have is not well organized at all. @gonewiththewind I'm impressed - I could probably get everything for both kids in one bin, but I really like the way you have your storage system set up! Maybe a project for next winter.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. jenn mccabe

OMG Cheryl I didn't know that either. My heart hurts for you.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

If I did that ... one would have kept everything :faint2and the other would have tossed everything. :giggle