Back up your backups' backups

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bho, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bho

bho Active Member

Back up your backups' backups

So who do you trust when you can't trust your backups?

I have an Apple Time Capsule and it has always rocked. I use it as a 1TB wireless EHD. I have always known that it has a limited life span, so I was good about backing up with Mozy.

Well, the Time Capsule failed about 10 days ago. I didn't lose any photos off of it, but I lost all of my digital elements. When I went to Mozy to restore my files, I discovered that for all these months, it hasn't been backing up my Time Capsule like it said it did! ARE YOU KIDDING ME PEOPLE?

So who do you trust when your backups that you pay for fails? Aaargh.

I'm especially sad now that Emily has retired, as she was my favorite designer and I lost all of her stuff.

Just thought I'd vent.....

So the moral of the story is even if you back up your files faithfully, make sure you do it in more than one place and more than one method!

2. coco

coco coco

oh no i`m so sorry...

i have an EHD and backup from time to time on DVD but most of the time i forget it... one of my drives crashed last year and i lost almost everything i had, since this time i try to backup more regularly
    i`ve never tried an online backup service... maybe i should?!?

3. cnscrap

cnscrap Humphity Humph Humph

oh wow. That is really scary. I'm so sorry to hear this!

4. Valoriew

Valoriew Valoriew

oh man! ack!!!! so so sorry!!!

5. sahlink

sahlink sahlink

The same thing happened with me... and Mozy! :td
    It seems like there are ALOT of problems with that company.

SO SO sorry!!!

6. renee82

renee82 renee82

Ugh... that totally sucks, Barb! I got tired of doing a million back ups to DVD so now I back up to two EHD's... I hope it's enough!

7. Gabi

Gabi Kate's best friend :)

That sucks, Barb. Sorry to hear that!

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's horrible. It's like my greatest nightmare. My hubby just signed us up for Mozy about a week ago and since then I've heard so many problems with it. I'm not really excited about having it either and I think we may just cancel it anyway. I hope you're able to get some of your digi stuff back. :(

9. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

oh no that sucks especially when you are paying mozy to do a job,maybe emily has all the stuff for you try pming her

10. Kelleanne

Kelleanne The One with Unagi

I am SO sorry to hear this happened to you. As soon as I read this thread I jumped off the computer and did a backup. I am embarrased to say how bad I am at doing regular backups and I know one day it's going to bite me in the butt. I was talking to my hubby about it last night and he suggested we buy a dedicated backup server to do regular backups. We might look into doing that. Losing scrapbooking stuff is terrible in itself, but I can't imagine losing our photos.

11. eryn

eryn gross no longer

ah no that is terrible! And OMG I have to do a backup. My didi stuff gets backed up to my second EHD, but my photos are only on the second. I have the old ones on DVD but haven't backed up in a long time.

12. amandajane

amandajane amandajane

Oh Barb, I am so sorry this happened to you. :heythere

It's always good to have a reminder to back up often and well.

13. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I back up to DVD and my EHD. I also use Backblaze to backup everything. I had my hard drive crash a few weeks ago, and even though I had recently (just that weekend) backed up all of my kits to DVD, there was at least 30 gigs of photos, layouts and my iTunes that hadn't gotten backed up. Backblaze was wonderful!! So easy to recover my files, and it even backs up my EHD! I could not be more happy I chose to go with them. It's $5 a month, or $50 a year.
    I heard about too many problems with Mozy. I'm so glad I didn't go with them!