Ways to earn extra cash

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Jan 31, 2021.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

What are your go to ways to earn some extra spending cash?..do you have an etsy shop? Do you donate plasma.. sell things online... posh? Ebay?
    Magic money tree in your backyard?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'd like a Magic Money tree please.... sign up up!

Honestly, I'm curious what people will offer. I've always wondered if there is anything I could do from home, and how to start! Great question!

dotcomkari likes this.
  3. dotcomkari

Finally setting a date for our wedding and being out of work since the beginning of last year.. ..I'm desperately looking for ways to get a little extra income ...$$$

jk703 likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'd love to get some ideas as well. I've thought about it a lot, but can't ever seem to make anything come to fruition. I think it's the start up costs that get me every time. I'm going to follow here because I'd love to know as well.
    I'm all in for a money tree!
    Congrats on the wedding, Kari!!

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I design scrapbooking stuff and do some freelance graphic design.

dotcomkari likes this.
  6. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the wedding! I've thought about transcription work, but I've never taken the plunge and done the training course. I'm also in the middle of getting hired as a sub in the public schools, though at this rate who knows if the schools will be back in person and needing subs at all. I see that your avatar says that you're deaf--are there any programs that might need subs? School programs, summer or after school programs, adult ed, etc. (I apologize if subbing in programs with people who aren't deaf is also a possibility and it sounds like I've ruled that out--that wasn't my intention!)

7. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I did this many, many years ago (transcription for court cases), since my husband worked nights and I figured it was a good way to earn some extra cash. I figured it would be a piece of cake - I had a LOT of experience with transcription (I was a paralegal at the time). Let me just say that for the time ispent, it was NOT worth it from an hourly wage perspective.

HavaDrPepper and rach3975 like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My friend is not deaf, but she is a sign language interpreter. She makes extra cash signing for church services and such. She also is working on getting on the local/state government interpretation lists. If you know a second language, that could be an option?
    I know the VIPKids and such where you teach English to Chinese kids are very popular.
    Piano Lessons is a big one for a side hustle, really any music lessons! Another friend even teaches them as a group, and online right now!

For wedding specific: You could see if there are any local places that get rid of decorations that were used for weddings and still in good shape. I know a lot of them are only used once, but look fabulous!

cfile and dotcomkari like this.
  9. dotcomkari

I actually went to college for education..elementary ed with a minor in Spanish..never finished my degree sadly as life got in way.
    ..but maybe I could sub....or online english teaching is a good idea too.. thanks

rach3975 likes this.
  10. dotcomkari

I've been doing a lot of looking on fb marketplace.for wedding stuff and goodwill..and dollar store. I plan on dyi a lot of my stuff too... cheaper the better.
    I know Spanish so maybe a tutor or online english lessons ..I'll look into that...
    Thanks for ideas

bestcee likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Over the years, I have done quite a few things to make money. I've tried direct sales. I'm just not pushy enough so that was a big fail. LOL I've done commissioned art pieces. I've done cleaning and organization for hire. I think right now with COVID restrictions, selling on ebay or etsy might be a good bet? I don't know though! Good luck on finding some $$ and on the wedding plans!

12. bestcee

That would be a great one! There may be an option for at home translating for Spanish too.

dotcomkari likes this.
  13. bestcee

My sister in law had these really cool mirrors at her reception with the seating table and welcome on them. She paid for the mirrors at a thrift shop. Then paid someone $300 to vinyl the lettering on them! I thought - dang! I could have done that for way cheaper! They were totally beautiful, so I bet you can come up with fabulous DIY stuff - especially with time on your side!

dotcomkari likes this.
  14. dotcomkari

We are planning a 2022 oct or sept wedding so I got lots of time to create .and I got me some.amazing creative girls to help...

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have thought so many times about trying for just some income but as my main source of income is income tested (after $120 income, I lose 30c per $1 and after $220 income I lose 70c per $1 off my main government benefit) it’s not worth it plus I’d have secondary tax and student loan repayments gobbling up about 30% of any income. I know when I was working part time I used to joke if I had a 3 hour shift, it was 1 hour to the tax man, 1 hour to the bus/train company and 1 hour to me.

dotcomkari likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Sorry to hijack but I just had to respond to this because it is so important!

The ASL interpreter for all of the governor's press conferences in Ohio is deaf. There was a lot of press about her last March when there were daily COVID press conferences. Now you wonder how she could hear what the governor was saying? There was another hearing interpreter behind the scenes that signed so she could then do her thing. Her facial features are so expressive. I like to watch her even though I don't understand a thing she is saying!

https://www.wcpo.com/news/state/sta...-language-interpreter-spreads-her-own-message

rach3975 and bestcee like this.
  17. bestcee

@HavaDrPepper That's awesome! I love watching sign language interpreters. I don't understand much, my sign is limited to about 10 words. But I really enjoy watching their facial expressions and hands move.

18. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

@dotcomkari Hey Kari, as far as the wedding goes, when we did my daughter's wedding back in October we rented a lot of the decorations. I don't know if anyone in your area does that, but it was a really economical way to go if you find yourself needing anything We rented things like signs, candles and candle holders, easels, whiskey barrels, a carriage, and even an old door to use as a table top. I remember thinking at the time that I should just collect all those things and start renting for weddings to make extra money lol. And if you do DIY a bunch of stuff, you could always hang on to it all and rent it out to other people haha

dotcomkari likes this.
  19. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

If you can translate for medical appointments I know with covid at work we are using phone translators (who get patched in by the company)

20. dotcomkari

Sadly I dont hear well enough on phone... but great idea