Help with buying a new desktop computer

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by A-M, Jan 3, 2021.

1. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I thought I would put out this request for help as I know there are some great computer pros here at The Lily pad.
    How much RAM do I need?
    My current desktop computer has 16gb so do I need that much?

2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I had to buy a new computer recently. Like you, I had 16 and I bought a computer with 64 this time. It really makes a difference with Photoshop, especially opening layouts and saving them.

Good luck.

GodBlessAmerica, Memaw2Wm and A-M like this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’d go for as much ram as you can a) afford and b) your new computer will allow, it’s only going to make scrapping a nicer experience in my view.

bestcee and A-M like this.
  4. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes you definitely need that much. If you can get a system where you can add to it easily without disrupting anything else,for the future....

Memaw2Wm and A-M like this.
  5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I have 32 GB in mine and sometimes wish I had more with some of the very heavily layered files I create for my design work, but it's great for scrapping. There is a chart with Adobe's minimum and recommended specs for Photoshop use here.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have 16GB on my current desktop. It's about 3 years old I think and I've never needed more. I'm excited to see you're shopping for a new one! How fun!

A-M likes this.
  7. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Good luck with your search. Having switched to a MacBook pro in 2014, I don't keep up with Windows computer specs much anymore, I would think something marketed as a gaming computer (or maybe use that as a guide for top end and scale down from there). And I can't believe it has been 6 years and this beauty is still working great -- she does have 16GB of RAM and she seemed like quite an investment at the time.

A-M likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have 16 GB in mine with another slot for increasing that size. Processer is an Intel I7 @ 3.20 GHz. I have had no issues running multiple Adobe products simultaneously. I purchased the HP Omen Obelisk from Best Buy . . . I think it's been two years ago now? Anyway, super good price and it's still humming along . . .

A-M likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have 16GB installed. Someday, I may add more. I haven't needed to currently. My last upgrade was a solid-state drive. Photoshop loves that!

I have a laptop I occasionally use when on the go. It only had 8 GB, and while technically that's enough per Adobe, it struggled. So, I really don't recommend 8 GB. It really struggled if I had PSE or PSCC open with LR. But yeah, stick with at least 16GB if you can!

10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@bestcee I agree, I have 8gb and while it works its not amazing and as soon as my ram is back instock in this country and I can afford it, I'll be upgrading to 16....when it happens I have no idea though

bestcee likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I agree I wouldn't go lower than 16 GB of RAM. Go for 32GB or more if you can afford it. I only have 16 GB of RAM and wish I had more, but I went with a solid state drive for my programs to run from and got a second bigger HDD for storing my data/kits/photos. Also ask about a better graphics card like the gamers use or one adobe recommends. Basically buy the most computer you can for the money you have to spend. I have a laptop so I'm not sure what graphics card would be good for a desktop, but I bought a dell gaming laptop last year so I would have better performance and have loved it. You're gonna love having a new computer so you can focus on your scrappin and not worry about the computer. ENJOY!

12. A-M

I ordered my new computer today and it will have 32gb of RAM. I will not install it until after MOC unless this old computer dies before then. I pick up the new computer next Wednesday.

Karen, KimJ, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@A-M Between you and @littlekiwi , now I'm feeling the urge to add more RAM!

bestcee and A-M like this.
  14. bestcee

Me too! And I don't think my computer runs slow.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's so exciting Anne-Marie! @A-M

16. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Congratulation! You will be happy with 32 gb, I have that too and another slot for increasing if necessary.

17. A-M

I now have my new computer but I am not setting it up yet while this old one is working. With only two more MOC challenges to complete I am not going to spend lots of time with setting up my CS6 on the new computer. So I will start up the new computer next week.

18. bestcee

@A-M I don't blame you! Good idea to wait until you finish.

Yeah for a new computer!!

A-M likes this.
  19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Yay for your new computer! Enjoy!

A-M likes this.
  20. A-M

Well, my new computer is all set up and I finished this afternoon my first digi layout which is my page for this month's Random Challenge. Everything moves along quicker now. When I open my program it opens up straight away whereas before I had to wait for about 10 to 15 seconds. So glad I got the extra ram to bring 16 to 32.

elseepe, Memaw2Wm, Donitab and 3 others like this.