Moving | Pad Patter 9.3

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Ours wasn't college/apartments. It was from a rental home to a purchased home. We liked the neighborhood and a friend of ours found out her friend was going to sell and she told me: it was a pocket sale (house never went on the market). DH put our garage fridge on the dolly and walked it down the street. DD packed a suitcase and we let her walk it to the new place. Obviously we had a LOT more stuff to move lol but I got some cute photos. :)

Memaw2Wm and bestcee like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

bestcee likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

What changed my mind about leaving my bubble?

The sheer terror of having to move! And, the more I thought about it, my house is paid for and I have everything I need right here. I love living in my small town and not sure I could adapt to a larger town/city at my age. I actually love the weather for about 8 months of the year, it is the 3 to 4 months of winter that I hate. I can become a "snowbird" like my parents and spend those months in warmer climates (once my dental issues are fixed).

bestcee likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Those are fabulous reasons!

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? No, but close, about 35 miles away.
    Or your partner's mom? No
    Do you live in the same state? My parents: yes, DH: No
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Very far away.

What's the longest move you've ever done? Ky to NC - some day I will have to scrap that trip, although I am pretty sure there are no pictures because the pain level was high.

I grew up in Michigan, moved to Ky after college, and then to NC. We have lived in 3 locations here in the same city and they are all about 2 miles from each other. My youngest brother moved to NC, lives about a hour away. Then my parents moved to NC and are about 35 minutes from us. My 3 sisters still live in Michigan. DH family is all in Ky on his mom's side. His dad's side cousins all live in Va and parts north.

Lisa B likes this.
  6. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? No; it actually funny that out of 5 kids and the youngest I moved the farthest away and I have to admit it was very hard. The day after I got married I told my husband that I wanted to go home and that meant I needed to see my mamma. They have since passed away and I now consider our home actually "home".

Or your partner's mom? We first had an apartment about 5 miles from my in-laws and then lived with them while building our house. Our house is on the same driveway as theirs. My in-laws have since passed away and I don't know what my MIL would have done without us being here when my FIL passed away suddenly.

Do you live in the same state? Yes, I don't think I could really be happy living anywhere else. I bleed BLUE.

Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? My hometown (closest city where I grew up) is about 30 minutes away but I actually grew up in the country and lived half way between 2 towns.

In my entire life I have lived 4 places:

Place #1 - Birth to day I got married
    Place #2 - Moved to apartment after we married for 5 months
    Place #3 - Moved in with in-laws while we built our home
    Place #4 - Our home which hubby built and still live there (moved in 1980 and have built on remodeled a couple of times)

7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Or your partner's mom? I did when she was alive.
    Do you live in the same state? I did when she was alive.
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Until last year, I lived less than 10 miles from where I was born and where I grew up.

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? August 2019 - Pittsburgh, PA to Sarasota, FL - 1067 miles.

8. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Or your partner's mom?

No! About 8 hours drive from my parents. And DH's mother is in a rest home in Australia.

Do you live in the same state?
    I was born in England but grew up in various places. I did live for a few years in the same region [we don't have states] where I am now but only for a short time.

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done?
    Back and forth between New Zealand and England. I have lived in England, then NZ, then England again, then NZ, then Australia, then England, then Singapore, then NZ. Lost count after 30+ house moves. :circles

AJK likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

bestcee likes this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Awww, you make me feel good! We stopped counting at 24. :imok

bestcee and LynnG like this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

It’s been a rental home for 60 years, I rent it from my dad. Housing is $$$ in Northern VA and I can’t afford to buy it, plus (for tax reasons) it doesn’t make sense for him to sell it. So my renting it works for both of it. Two of my three younger sisters rented it at different times prior to me. They and their spouses bought houses and moved out.

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

That's awesome that you have that ability, and it works so well for both of you!! I totally get stupid high housing!

13. bestcee

Wow! That's a long move!

My longest was 2,745 Aylmer, Ontario Canada to Pitt Meadows, British Columbia - with a pit stop in Salt Lake City, Utah for a family reunion.

A close second was 2,390: Ann Arbor Michigan to Salem, Oregon.

AJK likes this.
  14. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

18 miles away from your mum ? No both her and my dad are gone now, but around 3000 km .
    Live in the same state ? No Different country
    live in the same town you grew up in. Nope

My hubby on the other hand ; yes to within 18 miles, yes to equivalent of same state, no to same town he grew up in.

bestcee likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? Or your partner's mom? Yep! My Mom is about 8 miles away and my MIL is about 20 miles away.

Do you live in the same state? Yep!

Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? Yep! I moved away to college and came right back to the next town over from the one I grew up in. :giggle

And my curiosity, what's the longest move you've ever done? An hour to college and and an hour back home.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Do you live within 18 miles of your mom? No, She lives about 90 miles away - My dad is deceased . His last residence was in Saudi Arabia with Boeing so no telling where he would be if still alive.
    Or your partner's mom? She is deceased but we live about an hour away from his dad (who coincidentally, only moved across the driveway from his parent’s house where he was born)
    Do you live in the same state? Yes
    Do you live in or near the city you grew up in? I went to 11 different schools before I graduated from college, in three different states, so I really don’t have a childhood home. But, I do live in the same state I was born in - It’s Texas, so I still love 8+ hours from my birthplace.

What's the longest move you've ever done? From Waco Tx to La Miranda CA - 1431 miles

bestcee likes this.
  17. Donitab

18. Donitab

From Dumas Texas to Brownsville Texas is 833 miles, so it’s possible

bestcee and KimJ like this.
  19. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Good point! And Texas is an awfully big state! :agree

Donitab likes this.
  20. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Our FIRST big move was Myrtle Beach to Dallas. (1,143.0 mi) Still regret that we didn't stop along the Trail of Tears memorial. Hubs is Cherokee- would have been significant to us. Guess you don't realize what you pass up sometimes! Never been to Canada- always been curious!

bestcee likes this.