Cooking Woes | Pad Patter 8.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Aug 23, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

super impressed and trying not too...!

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

re: oil @michelepixels when DH makes coffee in the mokapot or before when we used coffee pods, i used the 'old' coffee grounds to soak up the oil and wrap it in newspaper (they're good for scouring burnt pots and glass baking dishes as well) and threw it away like that but we do the same as @Karen now with the new and old containers but her funnel idea is so clever, i use an actual old funnel!

michelepixels and Karen like this.
  3. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I love cooking..... but could someone please just tell me what to cook!!? LOL I always ask for suggestions and everyone says ‘I don’t care’ Im serious, I would love some suggestions once in awhile!

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I leave the skin on! love it! my kids had regular skinned ones at a friends house and they were all mystified...asked the hostess, what did you do with the skin? bhahha

I love cooking. I do find if I plan it goes better, but I have been doing it for ions and so many folks, I just pull out a meat and a vegi, starch and figure out what sauce to go with it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We use lots of lard here, and once it rehardens, it is a scrap and into trash. Any oil (liquid) I keep old pickle jars or cans and pop in the garbage. The odor of grease is something that gags me...it has to go straight out to dumpster.

6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm not a fan of peeling potatoes for homemade mashed potatoes either. But the finished product is worth it! I probably only make them 2x a year since I hat it so much!

I also don't really like working with flour. Most baking drives me crazy. Unless its already in a box!

I love to chop things though. I find it soothing!

wvsandy likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm getting a kick out of those of you that hate peeling potatoes. I was the potato peeler when I helped mom and all these years later, I still don't mind peeling potatoes. I will admit that I don't like the newer model potato peelers. I still use a really old one that I bought when I got my first apartment in 1978. Bought a newer one several years ago at Wal-Mart and I didn't like it the few times I used it. Went right back to my old one. Probably should see if I can find one in the style I like.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

This is the kind of potato peeler you need, but you can't find it in any kitchen shoppe these days. You might get a similar shape, but it won't have the steel "eye remover." Can only be found at estate sales, your grandma's kitchen junk/tool drawer, thrift stores, antique stores. Grab one if you can find it. I haven't checked e-Bay. I would NEVER peel potatoes with any other kind of peeler. We'd have to go to instant.

[​IMG]

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/potatopeeler.443621/

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

wvsandy likes this.
  10. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Hahaha! I can't even PEEL a potato with that style! We're all different.

HavaDrPepper and IntenseMagic like this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

Only kind I have ever used. Now if you want the perfect peel with the skin all in one piece and "curly", I'm not the person to do it. But I can get potatoes peeled relatively quickly using that tool.

SharLamb likes this.