July 2020 Book Club - Before I Let You Go

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Time for another batch of books to read together! Yippee!!! I did add an extra month because we had a tie for the last book and I didn't want to pick just one! :giggle

You will soon see FIVE new threads (we had a tie) in this forum for the next few months (July - November 2020). This will allow everyone to start getting these books on hold at your libraries.

The book for July is Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer. Feel free to read them in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]
    Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm 4th in line at my library for this book. :D

Karen likes this.
  3. Karen

Lucky! My library doesn't have this one, but I think it's only $5.99 on Amazon so I'll probably buy this one. :agree

michelepixels likes this.
  4. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this book to my phone thru Audible. I can't wait to get started.

Karen likes this.
  5. Karen

Yay! I'm glad you're joining us Carla!

6. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Seems that these days I rarely have time to read anything but it is just so much easier with Audible! I can listen to the book while I do other things around the house or while I am walking.

Karen likes this.
  7. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Does anyone else listen to these books on Audible? I wish you gals could hear some of the dialog! It's killing me! Only because I am from Mississippi and this story line is taking place in Alabama. I know I have a southern accent but Oh my goodness is this lady totally over doing it! LOL! Other than that, I am enjoying the read!

Karen likes this.
  8. Karen

I haven't started this one yet, but I'm chuckling at the over done southern accent. Lol. A narrator sure can make or break an audiobook, huh? Glad you're enjoying the read anyway. :agree I need to get on this one, but it's taking me forever to finish the book I'm reading right now. Ugh!

9. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

@Karen I can relate. I have had books that I was so excited to read and they were interesting until about 3/4 of the way through and for some unknown reason, I just lost interest. I hate to leave a book unfinished.

Karen likes this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have actually received this (ebook) already, along with a few others I'd requested, so I'm bogged down with books right now. Just checking in quickly at TLP; now back to reading! :)

Karen likes this.
  11. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

My library doesn't have this one yet, but this morning Kobo had it on sale for 2.99!

Karen and Tree City like this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm with @michelepixels All of a sudden I have a lot to read including this one that I got yesterday.

eta:I started this book on July 10 and finished it today the 11th. I found it very very accurate and exhausting. I wanted to finish it in some ways just to get it over. << It has most every form of family dysfunction in it. The portrayals of addiction/treatment, co-dependence, religious isolation, sexual abuse - did I miss any??? - are spot on. I have an adopted, now adult, daughter who could be Annie with the resistance and rage and drama that never seems to end. She is addicted to the lifestyle more than the periodic substances. The line between loving and enabling is a difficult one to see when one 'is only trying to help'. btdt and l will also say when you set boundaries, there are a lot of people who will think and sometimes say, Oh if this were my child,relative etc. I'd do xyz. I had one woman tell me she was a better mother than I was and I should just get my daughter better friends! This is not a book for the faint of heart but if you want a family story that tells it like it really is, I'd say this is the book. I'll remember it for a long time...>>

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  13. Karen

Oh man! I just bought it on Amazon for 5.99. Oops! :giggle I'm already enjoying this one though... it was really easy to get into thankfully after that last slog of a book I just finished. Ha ha!

janedee likes this.
  14. Karen

I'll have to come back and read your thoughts after I finished @cookingmylife :agree I think I'm halfway done already.

cookingmylife likes this.
  15. Karen

Oh my gosh you guys! I was up until 1:30 am reading this last night. It's so good. I haven't quite finished yet, but I know I will at lunch today!

16. Karen

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

Wow! This was powerful! This one kept me up until 1:30 am last night because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until I knew what happened next. SPOILERS>>>I really loved the close and hopeful bond between the two sisters, Lexie and Annie and how much they went through together and still loved each other. And they went through some awful things at such young ages. I live in my tiny bubble where I don't know anyone personally who struggles with addiction, but I feel like this book portrayed the struggles of addiction well and thoughtfully. I really appreciated the transparent journal entries written by Annie from rehab and they helped clear things up from her perspective and didn't leave her struggles open ended. ...and although sometimes I don't like everything spelled out so neatly and tied up with a bow at the end of a book, I really liked knowing how everyone ended up. It was heart wrenching that Annie OD'd when she was so close to making progress towards getting back to her daughter, but from the beginning (hello spoiler title) you just knew how her story was going to end. The commentary by the social worker was heartbreaking too and I'm sure was all too accurate. <<<SPOILERS Great, complex characters and a story that's going to stick with me for awhile!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am next in my library, but might not get to it in time.

18. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Well, I was a bit slow seeing the selection but I've just requested it from the library. It was available at another branch so I should have it in a few days. This book isn't really the sort of thing I'd normally choose but that's the point of bookclubs right?

Karen likes this.
  19. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

It is not what I would normally choose either, but I find it very interesting and annoying at the same time. I will keep any other comments to myself until the rest of you have had a chance to read.

20. Karen

You can read it whenever and come back to comment when you finish. :agree

Dalis likes this.