Save for Web?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by KarenC, Jan 22, 2020.

1. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Would someone mind sharing how they save for web? What size and do you sharpen? I think I've been at the computer to much this week so far and my eyes are blurry. Thanks!

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This might help you. It's free and from Cheryl of Fiddle Dee Dee.
    :)

[​IMG]

I have an old one from another designer. You should be able to adjust settings after running the action.

cinna, bestcee and KarenC like this.
  3. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Thank you! I just downloaded and will give it a try.

cfile likes this.
  4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks for asking this question, @KarenC and @jk703 thanks for giving this information. I have downloaded it also. Now if I can just figure out how to use it. Hopefully, there are some instructions.

gonewiththewind and jk703 like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

There should be. If you do run into trouble, post here! :)

KarenC likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

What software are you using?

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have an old one that came from another (now retired) designer which she has left up and free on line.

I don't know if Cheryl's does this but one reason I love it is that it works with PSE and CC and 2. it replaces the older version of the 3600 print jpeg or a 8.5x11 print, and the 6/7 or 800dpi print so if you edit your .psd and then do the File save action again, you don't have two versions of each.

KarenC likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I use Cheryl's above in tangent with an action I made up.
    So I press "F2" and it saves a full size jpeg and then runs Cheryl's action for me and prompts me to save it.
    One of my favorite cc features - making actions!

KarenC likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just wrote my own action a LONG time ago... I open my full size .jpg and hit F5. It resizes to 72dpi and then to 600 x 600 pixels. Then I do file save-as. 99% of the time my resized version is small enough to upload. but occasionally the resized down version will be massive... like 1-3 MB and if that happens I do File, Save for Web and adjust the percent of quality until it's small enough to upload.

I don't do any sharpening because I personally don't like it that way, but that's probably because I always seem to over do it. :giggle

Pachimac, keepscrappin and KarenC like this.
  10. cookingmylife

@gonewiththewind I decided to try your action again and ran into issues. I'm on PSE 2019 on a Mac Catalina. ( I also have PSCC2020 if this is supposed to be used there. I just didn't try there.)

While it whipped down the steps in the action and I went to Save As, the choice I used took the quality all the way down to low but still well above the size requirement here. I usually have layouts just under 250kb when I use the other action. So this didn't seem right but I had wanted to try yours again and see if I like the addition osharpening (which I normally do when I upload into LR). Am I missing something?
    Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 12.39.07 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  11. cookingmylife

Bumping this up if anyone other than @gonewiththewind can answer me. fwiw, I posted the larger size 72dpi (617kb) web image to the gallery. I thought the limit was 250kb?

12. bestcee

If it's larger, the gallery will resize it down. You may not notice it with those sizes, but depending on the original size, sometimes you'll see the quality loss.

13. bestcee

I've used it in pscc2020, I don't have pse2019 to try for you.

Is it all layouts that the action movies it down to 1 quality? Or just one layout?

@keepscrappin are you using pse2019?

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

@bestcee Thanks Courtney! I hope Cheryl is ok... but I was also looking for a video on her YT channel to see if she made one for this action. Didn't find anything and wondering IS it for PSE as well as PS?

bestcee likes this.
  15. cookingmylife

Yes, I'm on PSE2019 (we crossed) I think I tried it with a couple but when I have time, I'll do some older 600kb images and see OR are you supposed to use it on a .psd?

keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  16. bestcee

I'm pretty sure she's used it in pse. I believe it was originally from 2015? And Cheryl was scrapping in pse and pscc at that point.

17. bestcee

I use it on the .psd file. I finish a page, then save a full size jpeg, then run the action for save for web.

I haven't used it on jpegs that I can recall. I can try it for you.

18. bestcee

@cookingmylife I should add, when it came out, I was in pse still and used it there. Pse11, pse13, and pse14.

19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Yes, I do use PSE 2019. I'll download the action and give it a try. I haven't used it for a long time, but I do know I used it with earlier versions of PSE on my old laptop. Be back in a second to let you know about PSE 2019.

20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@cookingmylife
    The save for web action doesn't actually save your image for web. It just gets your file ready to be saved for web by flattening and resizing it to web size (600 px @ 72 dpt) and then running a high pass filter to sharpen the image. Then, you'll still have to click on file > save for web to be able to save the file to 250 KB in PSE.

I think I figured out why your files are so large. I think it's because you are using SAVE AS instead of SAVE FOR WEB for your web sized jpg. You mentioned earlier and showed the save as screen but like you, I wasn't able to get the file size down in there without lowering the quality to 1. However, if you use the save for web command you can save it to a size suitable for the gallery. Also, you mentioned that your original file was being saved over. To prevent this I like to add _web to my file name so I know that particular jpg is the web sized version of my layout.

Here are some screenshots in PSE 2019 for the save for web that will hopefully help you.

After I have saved a layered .tif or .psd version, I merge visible and save as a full size jpg for printing with the save as command.

Then, I click on file > save for web to make my web sized jpg.

On the save for web screen I change the following:
    • width & height to 600 px
    • make sure the image type is jpeg
    • make sure the quality is high or very high
    saveforweb_01.jpg

Then, I click on the dropdown arrow with the 4 lines that's circled in the image above. I click on optimize to file size and this pop up appears.

saveforweb_02.jpg

I put in the desired file size and click ok.

Next, I click SAVE.
    Add _web to my file name and click SAVE to save my web sized version jpg.
    saveforweb_03.jpg

This is what works for me. Hope that helps you! :agree

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    omlialie and meganmecrazy like this.