June Monthly Muse - Week #1 - Coat of Arms

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Dalis, Jun 1, 2020.

1. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Sorry- was pretty occupied yesterday. Just seeing it today. I think it's a great challenge!! No worries here, @Dalis :agree

Dalis likes this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@michelepixels Coats of arms have been representing families, clans for centuries. Maybe you can think of your family- or even research your family's regalia. That is part of keeping history. :D

michelepixels and Dalis like this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I have added a template that you can all use if you want! I hope this helps get the creative juices flowing!

The template is linked on the first post!

4. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is a first try - I can't find a background I'm happy with. This might be because I would like each section to be a different color, but I don't remember how to do that. Also, I can't remember which option posts the image with a link to the gallery?

5. Dalis

I am thinking for the splitting you would have to select the area, create a new layer and then bucket fill.

For the gallery is the one that says: "Share BB Code:".

I like your first try a lot. Just in case, did you see I added a template that you may modify to fit your needs. I might even divide it for you. {so glad to see you back!}

6. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Dalis, I appreciate that - but the shape is quite different. This would mean starting over. Which I might do, as I seem not very good at "selecting" the sections on the one I used. Frustrated but glad for the challenge.

Dalis likes this.
  7. Dalis

At least you have a first try, I keep trashing mine. LOL!!!!

8. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I gave up on selecting, and just cropped each part of the template/image, then painted and copied/pasted the elements. I think I do like this better with the color.

EDITED TO ADD: I appreciate this challenge, for making me think, learn something new, and identify the strengths that I have and need right now. I feel reassured. Thank you.

AJK and Dalis like this.
  9. Dalis

Sharon, that was my hope! In these uncertain times, I needed to remind myself that I am strong and capable!

10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Fun challenge! I went for symbols.
    [​IMG]

sbpoet and Dalis like this.
  11. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

So now I'm eager for the next step. Any hints?

Dalis likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I included my maiden name. We have done research, and there are Knights Templar and a castle in my ancestry. The name means "strength", so it was appropriate for the challenge, haha!
    Really cool challenge for AJ styling!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Dalis likes this.
  13. Dalis

Girl... I am making this a go, I kind of have an idea but it's hasn't solidify yet!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is mine. I was inspired by the color chart & traits represented by each color. I selected the ones I thought best fit me, used that as the backdrop of my shield. Added some word art (perhaps more for my sanity) and a few symbols.

[​IMG]

AJK and Dalis like this.
  15. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

OMG this was so much fun and I went round and round on how to approach. I even got back into my ancestry research and found really interesting coats of arms for two of my ancestral names (Mum's side). Then I went the animal route and chose four animals that I have an affinity for - long stories, other things to journal about in the future. Found that these animals are associated with traits that I need to get through this current situation. Also had to add in my "weapons" a paint brush and pencil to do art. Have never written this much, but needed to share.
    [​IMG]

AJK, sbpoet and Dalis like this.
  16. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Super cool idea Dalis and loving the inspiring coat of arms that everyone has created so far!!!! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

Dalis and mcurtt like this.
  17. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

Went very simple with my design:
    [​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

First of all my scrapping mojo is very low this year (and last year too) so my lack of participation would be mostly due to that.

But also, yes, I saw lots of references to battling in the first several posts and totally missed the idea of talking about our strengths.

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday -- I hope you didn't worry -- I never even visited TLP yesterday. Maybe I will do some scrapping today. Thanks for running this!

Dalis likes this.
  19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've done it! :D
    I started by brainstorming a list of my strengths and I came up with 9.
    Then I found one of the sign custom shapes in Photoshop that I think looks like a shield. I created an outline of it on a new layer and added some lines. At this point I thought I was going to put one strength per section of the shield, but ended up dropping that idea quickly.
    It was hard to find symbols for my words so I wrote them too because I want to be able to remember what I was thinking of!

[​IMG]

Dalis and AJK like this.
  20. Dalis

Oh Michele, I understand. These few months have been brutal for my creating. When the pandemic started, I was a bit excited that I was going to get to paint and sketch! NOTHING!!!!!! tonight I am painting with friends in a ZOOM call, first time touching my paint brushes since all this started!

michelepixels likes this.