Flowers / Pad Patter 8 May

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, May 8, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm not big on giving or receiving cut flowers. For the last few years I've been given & collected succulents though & I often forget that they flower & one of my hanging pot ones is looking like it should have flowers open by the end of the week, I think I've only seen it flower once & it's an odd combination of peach & hot pink - small things but still makes me happy at the moment especially!

• What's blooming at your place? Or if it's not the right season where you are, what's your favourite type of flower?

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

My favourite flowers are roses and we have a few different ones in our front yard with a couple of them flowering at the moment. Our Hibiscus are flowering but they are not a favourite of mine because they do not keep in a vase. I do not often bring the flowers into the house but at times Ken will pick some. The other day he picked a hibiscus not realising it does not like being cut so it withered and dropped within hours on being placed in a vase.

Lisa B and bellbird like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Nothing blooming right now. Spring perennials are done blooming and early summer ones haven't started yet. I had the landscaping company put all perennials in my beds they did because I'm not able to take care of the beds myself. I even pay them to weed them for me a couple times a year!

But the trees are starting to show green and the wheat grass is starting to sprout so there are some signs of spring... although the temps tonight don't show it. Freeze warning out for over night temps.

I don't really have a favorite but I did request the wheat grass around my fencing. And, I love redbud trees in the spring. Wish I had a couple.

bellbird likes this.
  4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I love fresh flowers!! They make me happy. Now mind you, I can't grow anything. But I am satisfied with just a grocery store bouquet and with my prime membership I can usually get them on sale at Whole Foods.

My favorite cut flowers are tulips and peonies. I have a bouquet of yellow tulips on my table right now.

5. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Currently the lilacs, late tulips and irises are blooming.

6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

My sweet husband buys a bouquet of flowers each week at the farmer’s market each summer. I don’t the night that will be happening ths year.
    In Washington state the Rhododendrons and lilacs are spectacular right now. We have a couple of bushes so it is so nice to have the fragrant bouquets.

Lisa B, Cherylndesigns and bellbird like this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think irises must be similar. My main memory of the deep purple irises that grew everywhere when I was young was my mum putting them in a vase on an occasion & the wilted petals leeching a dark blue stain onto one of her 'good' tablecloths - maybe that's partly the reason I don't use table cloths & vases often if ever!

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Lots of Hibiscus blooming right now. I love them! They do have gladiolus farms around here so we can usually get them fresh and they're inexpensive since they're local. My husbands brings me great big long bunches of them home from the market quite often. They're so beautiful and graceful. I'm fond of the peach colored ones.

9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Our daffodils are pretty much done for. Bluebells are in full bloom. Some creeping plant with yellow flowers is in bloom. The bleeding heart are in bloom. Lily of the valley should be blooming in the next few days. We also have some fruit trees and a honeysuckle bush that is loaded with flowers right now.

bellbird likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

It was 80 on Sunday and 33 when I woke up today ... with snow covering everything. Ugh. But our cherry trees blossomed and our plums trees too. I see daffodils around the neighborhood too.

Mostly I'm just happy to see some green leaves starting to sprout on the trees again! Yeah!

11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Everything here is bright bright green! I don't remember a Spring bright as long as this one has been, of course it is probably due to the cooler temps. We have lots of flowers blooming- ones purchased from Garden Center. My Hydrangea bush has buds! Waiting for my Morning Glories and Sunflowers to grow big. Had Mammoth sunflowers last year and Morning Glories nearly took over the side yard. Love that!

bellbird likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Waiting for summer flowers to grow a bit more. I have a pot of begonias out front that are blooming.

Oh I forgot, two of my three orchids are blooming inside.
    [​IMG]

Lisa B, bellbird and AJK like this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Well, considering we had a freeze warning last night with some snow flurries and one again tonight...not much blooming here at my house. I am really itching to go shopping, but I can't do with until I'm sure the cold is gone :( It's hanging around extra late this year.

My honeysuckle bush is blooming and my Azaleas and Rhododendron are getting ready to bloom. Flowers are one of my favorite things ever and the one thing I allow myself to go nuts on buying haha. They just make me happy.

I'm usually not a fan of cut flowers at all but I got a beautiful bunch delivered today from my son overseas :) Those I love!!

Lisa B, bellbird and AJK like this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I can't have fresh cut flowers in my house. I received some when I retired and I was miserable for over 10 days. When I was working, there was a retired employee from before my time working there that would bring in fresh cut flowers from his garden for the owner's wife and daughter with a few extras for the other office girls. I could not even have that single flower at my desk, it made me so miserable. And, even though our desks were a socially distant spacing of at least 6 feet apart, I could still smell the other 8 flowers in the open office. I had to live on Claritin whenever he did that just so I could function without sneezing constantly and having watery eyes.

In other words, that's also why I cannot work in my flower beds outside. I would love to have fresh cut flowers once in awhile but it just isn't meant to be.

bellbird likes this.
  15. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I love flowers!! in Brazil, the national tree is called Handroanthus (Ipê, is howwe call it) and there are flowers from different colors, yellow, purple, pink, it's very beautiful.

I love sunflowers...but I live in an apartment, difficult to grow things, but I try to always have a small vase here with kalanchoe, violets, or other things

AJK likes this.
  16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I got these from DD! The photo doesn't do justice, but I am thrilled with them!!! . These absolutely made my day!!!!!!!

FromDD.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    BevG and Lisa B like this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That's so wonderful!

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm the same - most flowers are pretty but headache & rivers of tears-inducing to me too, that might be part of why I like succulents actually; I do have some fabric/artificial flowers in a vase, that's about it for what I have indoors!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@bellbird @HavaDrPepper WOW! I didn't know that was even possible. That's rough! Allergies?

20. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

All sorts of trees and flowers blooming. I have two huge hibiscus bushes in my front yard that bloom almost year-round. My favorite flowers are Gerbera daisies and ranunculus, with the beautiful heirloom climbing rose, Eden (below) being right up there too. We live in a community setting so I have a small potted garden and not really any room for my favorite climbing roses.
    [​IMG]

BevG likes this.