Internet Browsers

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 7, 2020.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’ve used Google Chrome for a long time it seems now but I’m noticing it either not responds or crashes with great regularity especially when downloading zip files within the last few months. I also find downloads are super super slow to the point it doesn’t look like anything is happening right at the end (to the point I think it’s stopped downloading) - I think that’s more to do with my crummy internet speeds and the fact everyone is online at the moment.

Does anyone recommend a different browser that doesn’t crash or not respond? Or have any other suggestions.

Increasing RAM isn’t an option right now as it’s out of stock. Hard drive isn’t full at all.

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I don't have any problems with Chrome. Have you cleared your cache and deleted temporary files from your PC recently via disk clean-up?

Dalis and cfile like this.
  3. littlekiwi

No I haven’t, will try that in the morning.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I use Firefox, but it does sound like it's your internet speed. Both my daughters are home schooling right now with Google Chrome, and I haven't heard any complaining from them.

littlekiwi likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@littlekiwi It’s likely heavy internet traffic but other things could affect it too. Make sure you have the most recent version of chrome and that your windows and virus/malware protection are up to date as well. I turn my pc off everyday but some don’t. If you don’t, then shut it down and let it sit for a minute before turning back on to clear it out. Windows updates need the computer to restart for them to get installed. HTH

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    cfile and littlekiwi like this.
  6. littlekiwi

Definitely up to date with antivirus and windows updates etc but unsure on Chrome - will check that in the morning. I always shut down and in fact I’d say it’s more often not on cause for recreational internet use etc I use my ipad 95% of the time.

7. littlekiwi

I’d say my issues started in the last 2ish months - the straw that broke the camels back was when Chrome crashed at the end of the NSD blog hop and I had to redo the entire thing, if it was one or two stops that crashed or didn’t work then I would have been okayish about it.

Thinking the slowed downloads towards the end could just be a case that I’m trying to download too many zips at once (I tend to group them into each kit or in the case of Storyteller, three zips at a time so I don’t miss any) on my slow as connection - roughly 22Mb/s (in comparison to what is offered elsewhere)

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I had trouble downloading the blog hop when I finally did it. I pay for faster internet and it was taking forever to download even a small zip file after 11 at night. I shut my computer down the next morning and after that it has been fine, even during NSD sales. I do use Chrome as well.

But I will say that I know usage is extremely high these days. I have 2 teachers and 2 seniors (1 high school, 1 college) living next door to me. Dad says the 2 girls are talking to their friends on zoom every night along with their online school work during the day. He upped their speed to get through this. And, since I'm the last house on the "line", I would not doubt that is a small part of my problem at times as well.

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

When is the last time you restarted your computer? You're on a PC, correct? If you're running Windows 8 or 10, there is a huge difference between "restart" and "shut down." Shut down no longer fully cleans your RAM/etc; it leaves some processes' info in order to quickly start up again. Restart, on the other hand, actually closes out of everything. Anyway, after you make some big changes, perhaps by updating Chrome, then restarting is probably called for.
    I'm curious what happened with Chrome that caused all of your blog hop files to disappear. That's a total bummer, especially since any files that were completely downloaded should have stayed in your downloads folder. Or maybe I have the wrong issue lol and the problem was that no file actually finished downloading? That would be so frustrating!
    Hopefully you figure this out! I hate slow internet, to the point where I basically grabbed a mesh network soon after DH started WFH. It has been on my mind anyway because our wifi doesn't travel well through our house. Oh! That could be another issue: if you are on Wi-Fi, how close is your router to your computer? Distance and obstacles can have a huge effect on speed. (Our issue was obstacles: too many walls between the best place for the router and where we actually use the WiFi lol, so the mesh network helped alleviate that.)

10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I like FireFox a lot. I always found that Chrome loaded a bunch of extra things into memory and it slowed me down.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I use Duck Duck Go - it's not a VPN but it's close. We (my family) all have that on our computers and our phones, too.

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Firefox on Windows 8 was a dog for me, so I have been using Chrome. I usually only download 3 files at time -- and yes, your internet speed really impacts it.

13. littlekiwi

@Tree City I don’t often do a restart of my laptop, only when Windows does updates but I do shut down every time. To be honest with the blog hop I’m not 100% sure what happened - all I know is none of the downloads completed at all and when I used Chrome a few days later it had said the browser had crashed

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm on chrome and i DL one thing at a time because especially at night or if someone's on netflix, my speeds are pretty useless and only DL onto my harddrive, not an EHD, for some reason i thought that would slow it down more.

ETA: i would add that chrome really only crashes when i have too many tabs open - i have the 'one tab' extension but i think i use it too much and it's probably better to bookmark stuff

15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I had trouble during INSD with the store knocking me out. It was a big scrapping weekend and the whole world is on line most of the time. I use Safari on my Mac 99% of the time. Chrome only for posting to Instagram cause they have a Desktop to Instagram plug in.

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

THIS!!!!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  17. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Thank you for this! We shut down every night because the "office" is in the bedroom and the lights can be annoying. But even if I restart every few days, I'm hoping that will help keep things more cleaned up.

I tend to switch between Firefox and Chrome every few years - I'll get annoyed with one of them, switch to the other as my main browser, and so on. I've probably been using mainly Chrome for the last 6 years but I've definitely noticed more issues in the last few months.

Tree City likes this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've used Chrome pretty much since it came out. so lots of years. I get irritated by the things they change (just like Facebook). My main irritant right now is that you can no longer turn off autoplay of videos on websites not YouTube. They took that away last year and have said they will not put it back in the code. I don't always want to watch a video on a news website especially if there is text I can read instead.

busywoman139 likes this.
  19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

That could be my post over in the pet peeve page....

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  20. littlekiwi

Finally made it back on to my laptop and I think I may have fixed the problem using a combination of suggestions from @Angela Toucan & @Dalis (disk clean up) @keepscrappin (updating Chrome - it looked like I was several versions behind) and @bellbird (downloading one zip file at a time) so thank you all. There isn’t much I can do about the actual internet speed as I am on a very old system which our internet provider would prefer us not to be on realistically which I don’t directly pay for and we can’t upgrade without considerable upfront cost so we put up with any issues.

keepscrappin and Angela Toucan like this.