Board Games | pad patter 4.7.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Apr 7, 2020.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

This has been me with my family during this covid 19 isolation.
    [​IMG]

I was lucky this past weekend that all my kids were able to come home and they are actually playing board and card games with me. Mostly it's just me and my oldest DD but sometimes we can get the others to join in.

We actually learned a new card game, King's Corners. It's a really fun, multiplayer solitaire-like game and uses standard face cards! We play with the draw first variant. Google it, trust me you'll like it! :agree

Other favorites we've played lately are Rummikub, Sequence, Wackee Six, Cover your Assets, Quixx dice game, Five Crowns, Catan, Trouble and Blokus.

Sometimes the competition gets rough and we are ruthless with each other to win the game, but in the end we have a great time together. Win or lose spending time together is the best part and is bringing our family closer together!

What games have you been playing?

Scrapping with Liz and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I will have to check out King's Corners! We played Trouble and Jenga the other day. I'm hoping to play Rummikub soon; it's one of my favorites.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't like playing board games. I was scarred by a cousin who cheated at Candyland. LOL I will make an exception for Scrabble, but even then it's a hard sell.

I will play some card games. We played Kings on the Corner (what my Grandma always called) a lot when I was growing up. I don't know that I even remember how to play it so I'd have to look at the instructions again if that tells you how long it's been since I've played. I also will play Uno.

I do like to play Farkle, which is a dice game. I think some have referred to it as 10,000.

I did play games with the kiddos when they were younger, but nowadays you won't find me asking others to play a game. It's just not my jam. I don't even really care for video games, but I will occasionally play Mario Kart or Super Mario.

We have been spending time together in the evenings. Last night we just sat in the living room while The Office was on, chatting and laughing about the show, and talking about the virus and headlines and such. Like you said, as long as we are together and talking, that's the important thing!

Cherylndesigns and keepscrappin like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

The only board game my grandson ever liked was Shoots & Ladders. He always cheated terribly, but we had fun. He doesn't want to play any games now except video games. My kids used to love to play UNO and when we were kids, Monopoly was a favorite.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

i got rid of all my board games. No fun playing alone as an adult.... Used to play them with imaginary friends as a kid though.

I do have computer versions of a couple that I will play on my laptop. Clue and Game of Life.

If I'm not scrapping or playing a couple of games on my tablet, you will find me doing jigsaw puzzles or reading.

keepscrappin and wvsandy like this.
  6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

We've been playing Monopoly (I'm not a big fan, but if the kids suggest a board game night, I'm there willing and smiling). We've also been playing Ratrace, which is a board game from my childhood (so about 45 years old?!). The kids really like it and the game only lasts about an hour which is a plus for me!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

My family SUCKS! They don't want to play with me!

keepscrappin and Donitab like this.
  8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I grew up in a family who often played Board Games and I was given them for Christmas gifts as a child. I remember one year I received a game called "Pillow Fight" and then another year "Park and Shop" which I still have.
    Lately my Ken enjoys "Upwords" which he enjoyed the other night because he won.
    Not sure which would be my favourite... I like Pictionary which was good when my daughter and I got to be paired together as we would be able to just start drawing and the other would guess. I enjoy Cluedo. My daughter and Son-in-Law introduced me to Carcassone which is an interesting game.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Awwww! Maybe that will change soon! Offer a reward to the winner and see what they do?! We used to be relieved of a chore for a day if we won. :)
    We DON'T play Monopoly with our son often, because he ALWAYS wins!

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

We haven't played games for a long time since the kids' school load was so rigorous, but when we did make time Clue was always a favorite, as was Uno. We also enjoyed many of the Cranium games, Cranium Cadoo is really fun.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We have absolutely loads of games, but we also have no TV etc. I think that helps.

The past few days we have learnt a new word tile game - Bananarama, played our favourite history game - Chronology, and my boy has a long distance chess game on the go.

Lisa B and keepscrappin like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We used to play board games all the time... we would do a game night every week, hubby and I, playing trivial pursuit, monopoly etc but my husband no longer cares for it so sadly I have no one to play Scrabble with anymore and I am thinking of donating all my editions of Trivial pursuit! I do play Pogo (on line) games so that has Scrabble and Boggle and other games I use to get my mind off things once in a while.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

well i think it was mid last year that we bought Ticket to Ride (the US version) after reading about it on one of the game disucssions here, and it became a fast favourite and at xmas my mum bought the kids the 1910 add-on & they've played that and Scrabble in the last few weeks.
    I've been looking to buy a few more, Agricola caught my eye (there's a family version) & Sushi Go Party but i as yet haven't ordered anything (there are a lot of sold out games in all the local shops and local online shops here) so it wouldn't get here before middle of the school holidays at this rate. Do you have either of them Kayla? (Or anyone else - happy to hear reviews or pros/cons from people i know!)

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love that game Kayla... except we call it Kings IN the corner. Funny that we all call it something different. I actually taught my brother in law how to play that at Thanksgiving and we stayed up LATE playing it that night. :giggle My kids love Monopoly, but I stink at it and never win. My oldest loves to play Risk, but I hate that game. He would play that every day if he could. Now he's found a similar game online and he absolutely loves it. Yay I don't have to play Risk anymore. Lol. Whenever we go camping our whole family plays Uno for hours. good easy fun!

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

We've played surprisingly few family games considering we've definitely always been a gaming family. Here's a picture of our family room. It's from 2016 but it still looks just like this (only my son is much bigger!). You can see we purposely set up our family room for gaming, with a hutch and credenza full of games and a big table. This is our gathering place for talking and gaming. Occasionally some of us eat at the table too!

2016-03-22-hanging-at-home-006.JPG

Mostly, since the shut down, the main games in our house have been Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder. My kids and their friends have been running a weekly Pathfinder campaign, led by my husband, for years, and that's continuing now by video chat. One friend is also running a D&D game another day of the week. And we have a family D&D game we started just a couple months ago, led by my oldest, that we're playing irregularly. My oldest is depressed and everyone is stressed and it seems to have interfered with our usual gaming. I'm the only one still suggesting games lately! We did play Carcassonne last week. And there was one evening my oldest and I had a few rounds of one of her favorite card games, Speed. If you like fast, exciting card games, try that one! I'd hate it if I weren't so good at not caring about the outcome of games. I play it because my daughter loves it.

I have 2 siblings and we did play games when we were growing up, but sometimes I played alone too! My favorite to play alone was a game called Careers. It was well suited to solitary play because you're really playing to reach a goal you set for yourself (happiness points, fame points, and an amount of money) and you don't need to race another player. I own a new copy of the game I bought about a decade ago but my kids never were very interested in it.

Board games that have been the biggest hit in my family over the years include Clue, Splendor, Takenoko, Love Letter, and Telestrations. I could have listed more, but my memory is poor. My kids hate Uno (though we play it occasionally) and Monopoly. My lifetime favorites are Scattergories and Scrabble, but my kids don't like them much so I only get to play them occasionally. When my husband and I play alone it's usually Scrabble.

Christa, do you know the Words With Friends app? It's Scrabble we can play with friends. I've played it since I got my first smartphone in 2013 so I don't remember if you have to log in with Facebook like I do; I think I didn't connect it to Facebook at first. Anyway, I'd be happy to play with you! I'm Michele Kendzie on Facebook if that's how we connect. If that doesn't work, PM me and we'll figure it out.

Here's a screenshot of one of my Words With Friends games from a few years ago. It works just like the official Scrabble game, same rules. I think the special squares are just a bit rearranged.
    2015-02-08-am walk-001.PNG

Speaking of word games and digital games, my all time favorite is Word Wow Around The World. There are other versions of Word Wow, but Around The World is the best. It's the most visually pleasing, most interesting, and just seems to run best. I've been playing it several times a week for several years. It gives me the same satisfaction of Scrabble. I love word games. Often I will play this while listening to a podcast if I'm not up and moving around because I can't concentrate on audio input if I'm not also doing something visual, but it needs to be an easy visual thing, which making words IS, for me. Oh yeah! I made a scrapbook page about it a while ago!

[​IMG]

Ok, I'll stop now because I've strayed off topic.

keepscrappin, cfile and Angela Toucan like this.
  16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

When the grandkids are here at Christmas and Vacation they love to play Apples to Apples because all ages can play together and everyone wins some.
    81uONvA37KL._AC_SX425_.jpg

keepscrappin and HeatherB like this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have seen the apps but I don’t like downloading a bunch of stuff to my phone.. I will give it soMe thought.. thanks Michele!!

michelepixels likes this.
  18. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

We learned Sushi Go Party at Thanksgiving and it was the big request at Christmas. Kinda silly but fun.

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Our recent favourites are Catan and Apples to Apples. Scrabble has always been a favourite and we are thinking of trying backgammon again which we haven't played in years. Our dd bought us Carcassone at Christmas (similar to Catan I think) but we haven't yet broken it out of the box.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

We play this too! But not lately...I think we overdid it - we would play almost every family gathering for a while.

wvsandy and keepscrappin like this.