What Would You Do With This Scrapbook?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Pachimac, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I am going through my Mom's things and I found this paper scrapbook that my Mom made of our first family vacation in 1966. It is falling apart, fading, and I'm afraid it will degrade more. Would you just take pictures of it in situ, remake it digitally exactly as she had it, or just take it apart and make a digital scrapbook out of modern elements?

I'm torn.

[​IMG]

2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I would take pictures of it to make sure it stays preserved longer.

3. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I would take photos/scan the pages to make sure you have a record of it. I'd probably leave the album itself as is - after all it is Mum's work. If the content is interesting/meaningful then I might make a new digital version as well but I wouldn't pull apart the original.

4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I agree with the others... do not be tempted to pull it apart.
    I personally would photograph or carefully scan the pages and just keep them backed up in a few different places.... send to different family members.

cfile likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I agree as well. I would photograph it and then leave it as is :) What a precious thing to have!

cfile likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I ran across some stuff of my mom's from her school years (late 40's/early 50's). They were falling apart. I mean, pick it up and pages falling out type of falling apart. I scanned them so I at least have that. Then I recycled them.

She also did scrapbooks of her wedding and my growing up years. About 18-20 years ago I moved the wedding stuff into a CM album as I was doing traditional scrapping them. Within the last 7 years I transferred my childhood albums into CM albums as well. All 3 of these albums were also falling apart. I did try to get things she had handwritten in the albums into the CM albums if I could. If I couldn't I at least copied what she wrote so it is still her words.

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Another vote for scan or photograph it to preserve - u could also use the whole page as the basis for a big photo digi page that keeps it authentic & as one, y'know - you could note that this is your mother's handwriting etc as you've told us, maybe on a wooden background with other notebook or desk stationery items around, maybe a coffee cup & a generic ' looking back ' WA title or 'one for the scrapbooks' etc. But I wouldn't be cutting it up or anything

rach3975 and cfile like this.
  8. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

What an amazing find! I have to admit, I would be tempted to take it apart and mix it in with modern elements (just because it would be so much fun to work with), but I'm pretty sure that preserving it 'as is' is the better option -- it's a way of preserving and honouring the work that your mother did.

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

How absolutely lovely you found such a treasure! It deserves the honor of being preserved exactly as-is, which means either photographing it are scanning it. The benefits are two-fold: one, you have a digital copy and two, you can take the photographs and journaling from your digital copy and reuse them in digital pages. So you have both an exact replica as well as the individual pieces to recreate with as you wish.

10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ditto, except I would go one step further- I would take the digital copies and have them printed in a book( Blurb, Shutterfly, etc.)

bestcee, cfile and bellbird like this.
  11. Susan - s3js

Susan - s3js Well-Known Member

I think there are two other steps you should take. I would get archival page protectors and slide them on sideways. Trim them if necessary. They will help stabilize the pages and make them safer to handle. I would also contact the curator at a local museum or archives and ask them what steps to take to preserve the paper. There are things you can use that will de-acidify the old paper and ink and they can tell you how to light-protect it so it doesn't fade further. It would be well worth the investment to do both! I'm green with envy, Susan!

rach3975 likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

great thinking!

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What a super cool find!!! I think I would definitely scan the pages first, then you can decide what you want to do from there. You could even take each page and slip it into a sleeve type scrapbook so you could flip pages easier and not have to worry about them ripping out of the wire binding they are in now.

14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I agree with everyone who has said photograph/scan each page but leave the originals. I think of photos my late mil had with her handwriting on the back describing who each person was in the family photo, going back to the early 1900s. I think you could also do a book with the photo of her page on one side and your story/memories on the other side. It's ideal for an 8.5x11 portrait book!

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

^^^^^ This!

Tree City and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree Susan with what everyone said.. Preserve it as is.. take photos of the pages. What a treasure!

17. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I would probably do all three things. Scan the pages so I can create a duplicate book as well as use in my daily digital scrapping. Then I would remove the pages and slide each one including cover into archival page protectors and store them appropriately. What a wonderful treasure! I'm just happy to have recipe cards with my Mother and MIL's handwriting on them. Maybe I should think about doing something with them.

18. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Thank you all! I hadn't thought of putting the pages in a sleeve protector. Do they make 11x15?

19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I did the same thing ... moved my childhood photos from two old disintegrating scrapbooks into a CM album. I was lucky that my mom wrote on the white borders of my photos rather than on the pages ... probably b/c the pages were black. I then added my recollections using a white pen b/c I used black pages and the lick 'em stick 'em photo corners just like my original albums.

20. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member