Monthly Muse November 2019 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Nov 5, 2019.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

NOVEMBER 2019 MUSE CHALLENGE
    Hi everyone, Ona here to bring you November's Muse Challenge! Heck, where has the year gone???!!! Hope everyone is doing well! :)

This month we are stepping into the world of advertising. I don't know about you but I often get a lot of inspiration from looking at advertisements. I love how creative and imaginative some of them can be. I think we can all can learn a lot of design principles by looking at them and figuring out just what we like about them, and then apply those principles to our own layouts.

As you study them, you can see the various design components that make up an advertisement. What draws your eye to an advertisement? Is it the overall page design, the photo or graphic used, the colour palette, the typographic art or the imaginative way of photo compositing? There are plenty of components and when put together they can really make a statement.

Before I go any further, please note that I am not an 'expert' in designing, and the words and terms I use to describe various design components are wholly my own interpretation. No doubt you will have your own views and perhaps will call them something else, but for the purpose of this challenge please bear with me. :) Of course, you are more than welcome to share your own opinions on what you think about the different design components. :)
    :)

Week 1: GEOMETRIC SHAPES/USED FOR PAGE DESIGN & FRAMING
    So for this month, each week we are going to explore one facet/component that graphical artists use in designing their advertisements. Each week I will provide an inspirational board made up of pictures from Pinterest, which you can use for inspirational, or you can do your own Pinterest search to find other pictures to inspire you.

A lot of advertisements utilize geometric shapes to either create a page design, or to actually frame a photo (or other object, such as a pattern). I have created an inspiration board below, featuring various advertisements from Pinterest that I believe to fit into this design category.

WEEK-1---GEOMETRICS-FRAMING-BOARD800.jpg

Things to take note of:
    - notice the actual shape of the 'page', in the majority of cases they are all rectangular, rather than square. Perhaps this is something to keep in mind when selecting your page size initially, instead of a 12x12 square page, why not try an A4 or Letter size layout.
    - look at how the geometric shapes have been used to draw the eye, in some of the shapes there is a photo while in others there is some sort of pattern or texture.
    - how about the background colour, have you noticed how the colour has been used. In some cases it is solid while in other examples there appears to be a graduation or gradient applied. Most importantly there is no distracting patterns in the background itself.

Challenge for Week 1:
    Create a page using geometric shapes. Use the shape/s to either display a photo/s or some other type of embellishment, like paper etc. or to actually design your page.
    Note: This IS a challenge so please DO NOT use any templates for this layout, use your program's tools to insert or draw your own shapes. You may however use geometrical shapes, elements or papers instead of drawing them, but I really want the page design to be your own. :)

Here is my page, featuring a pretty rose that came into bloom just the other day. While it does look pretty simple, I found it a bit harder to put together instead of just 'throwing' stuff on the page like I usually do! I used Photoshop Elements 14 to create this page and utilized the drawing tools and shapes that came with the program. Using the grid was a great help as well!
    A4---FIRST-ROSE-600.jpg

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without photos. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to November 30, 2019 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to see what you talented girls will create!!! :) and of course, if you have any questions ask away! :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Ga_L likes this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What an interesting challenge, Ona. Your inspiration page is gorgeous!! I'm with you; where have this year gone?

wombat146 likes this.
  3. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

This graphic style is one of my favorites. I can't wait to think and play!

wombat146 likes this.
  4. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

wombat146 likes this.
  5. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I love this graphic style. My inspiration comes from the BaJee ad on the Pinterest Board:
    [​IMG]

mcurtt and wombat146 like this.
  6. wombat146

oooh!!!! :clap:clap just out of bed and so happy to see some fabulous layouts already!! You are so quick!! :) Off to have some breakie and then into the gallery I go! :funfun

7. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

8. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

9. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge!
    A freepick poster was my inspiration!

[​IMG]

mcurtt and AJK like this.
  10. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

I found a cool resume on Pinterest! Was totally inspired.
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Had a hard time seeing the idea as "art journal style", but I think it came around... for me anyways, lol!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    blueberries and mcurtt like this.
  12. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I'm not sure if I like all of the solid paper colors I selected. I'll have to ponder it a bit more. But overall, I think I like it. I tried to match my rectangle extensions (all 11 of them) with the building lines.

[​IMG]

blueberries and wvsandy like this.
  13. wombat146

Gorgeous additions ladies!!! :clappy

14. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

15. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

So whew, did not think I was going to get this one done. As soon as I started thinking about it I hit on the honeycomb shape (because my stars, I am absolutely working the bee thing into the ground) ... but getting past that has been a struggle. It was one of those cases where I knew what I wanted but just couldn't figure out a way to do it.

I still don't know that I hit the mark but I came close enough to call it good.

[​IMG]

16. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Had to stretch to get this one. Thanks for making me think outside the box.
    [​IMG]

17. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

18. wombat146

woohooo!! some gorgeous additions girls!!! :heartlub

19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the inspiration
    [​IMG]

20. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

just squeezing a little bit of scrapping into my life :blush

[​IMG]