Insta-life !Pad Patter 19 Jul

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jul 19, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

In the last few days Instagram has changed how it shows 'likes' to various posters in different countries, it is apparently a trial in a bid to improve mental health - do you use instagram?
    do you think this will have a positive impact & change people's posting habits & instagram use?

I think it's fine but needs to go a bit further for teen mental health b/c clicking on any post, I can still see who 'liked' it, even if we aren't insta-friends, so doesn't it defeat the purpose? Just because it doesn't automatically show me the total, I could still go through manually & count the number of likes & wouldn't obsessive teens do that?!
    One of the local radio presenters has discussed it as going to have a negative impact on businesses as well. With the relationship between digiscrapping & social media, I saw this as an interesting & relevant topic -will be interested in everyone's views

2. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Hmmm, I just heard that they were going to get rid of the 'like' counter. I can see it helping in a way but also hurting businesses. I think that if you put that much stock in how many 'likes' you get that maybe you just need a break from social media? I definitely think that we have a social media problem in our culture.

bellbird likes this.
  3. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

My teen and I were talking about this last night. She is totally for the idea because she says that her friends obsess about the number of likes they get and will post more and more provocative pictures to get more likes. She didn't mention to me about still being able to see the people when you go in manually so I don't know her feelings about that but for myself, I agree with you Justine. I think its better not to know at all.

That being said, from a business perspective the company I work for is very serious about building up its following by using the likes and who are liking to help expand our online signature. Its so hard, teenages don't need this stress in their lives but business get a lot out of it .......

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I post my layouts over on Instagram, but don't really look to see how many likes I have. Since I've been designing, social media has changed and I daresay it will continue to change. I suppose because of that, I'm not really upset about the change. I find I have more of an interaction with like-minded hobbyists on Facebook and here at TLP than I do on Instagram.

AJK and bellbird like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm not overly worried about likes. I post on IG all the time and tag the people I want to be sure to see my post but other than that, it's not a big deal.

bellbird likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I haven't been paying much attention - so don't know the details really, but I totally agree that teens obsess over this stuff and it is a mental health crisis (heck, even for people who are not teens!). So I do think it is important to address it. What the happy medium is - I do not know.

Most of us, we didn't grow up in an age of social media and being tethered to a mobile device. For teens - they've grown up in such a different world - it really is a huge part of their lives! My daughter isn't a big social media poster at all - but still is tethered to her phone and has watched her friends obsess over this stuff.

For businesses - can't it just be behind the scenes - like the stats are on FB? so the business can still see all the likes - but it's not in your face? Or maybe allow it for business accounts, but keep the personal accounts without? Or make it more behind the scenes for all accounts. IDK? Like I said I don't really know all the details so maybe this is the way the it is already - but I do agree we have to address it as a society.

Makes me think of the book Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Sheteyngart.

bellbird and amandac like this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I was wondering whether this would influence FB & whether any changes would occur as a result - I'll have to look up that book

8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Agreed! I miss the day when you knew you were liked soley by the interaction face to face in conversation.Young people ( and even some adults) don't consider that a "like" can simply be habitual, or not that meaningful. There are some sincere "likes" for sure, but social media isn't helping people to like themselves- for themselves. "Like" can now just mean, "I saw this, but not taking time to discuss it with you".

bellbird likes this.
  9. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I “like” the likes. It shows the people I follow that I actually look at their stuff if I don’t comment.

bellbird likes this.
  10. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I think is a good idea, people is insane with likes, not only teens...there were a bunch of cases of suicide here in Brazil, people with mental illness and depression, and the haters online were a trigger on the decision of taking their lives...this is so serious!
    I was watching a TV show this past week, because a digital influencer here in Brazil is the most recent case on this sad list, and it's crazy how people deal with likes and comments...it's a mental health problem!

and @bellbird , I get what you said about still seeing the people who likes a photo, but you can only see that if someone you are friend with likes that post, for example, I follow TLP and also a few fellow scrappers on IG. If let's say, Sahin Designs likes a TLP post, then I see "Sahin Designs and other people" likes this photo. If I click on "other people", it shows a list of followers, but I'm not sure if it shows every like, maybe it's just a small portion? there are a lot of posts, even from TLP, that no one I follow liked, so I can't see this list.

I don't know why they decided to do this, to show this list? If we think macro, like profiles of mega celebs that have easily million likes (Kardashians, Taylor Swift, etc), I don't believe this list would show every like...or even if someone would count this huge number, kwim?
    and I don't think this change is positive for any industry, there are a lot of people, specially the small business, selling and showcasing their creations on instagram...maybe that's why they decidded on this move, so instagram would be just a social network to show photos again...

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh I didn't know this, I just looked at a few pages in my feed (I think that's what it's called ) - I understand what you mean about seeing Sahin & others liking it & maybe not everyone showing in that list - I do hope these changes help how instagram impacts individuals lives & takes away some stress & pressure for all ages

Ferdy likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I hadn't heard about this, but it's definitely interesting that they are taking steps like this to curb the need for likes. I agree that it's a problem for a lot of people, especially younger generations. It's so sad to see the impact that social media is taking on mental health, so I hope this helps that!

13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

My daughter, who is 29, made her New Years Resolution to quit Social Media because of her mental health. She was being negatively impacted by friends with good and bad news. If one of her friends got married or had a baby she was 'sad for herself' because she didn't have that in her life, if a friend had bad or sad news to deliver she would be 'sad for them'
    She found herself going down a bad road 'thinking about her life' and decided 'enough is enough' and quit. IT HAS MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

14. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I noticed that about a month ago with my IG feed...it doesn't show to the public, but if you click on the "so and so likes this....and others" you can see how many people liked your post...and if you're really obsessed (which I'm sure that some people are), you can count how many likes another person's post has