Do I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 28, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Had some issues with my iphone 5s last night which is almost 3 1/2 years old, the problems have fixed themselves for now 24 hours later thankfully so i’m ok right now. I have enough money set aside that I could upgrade to an iphone 6s only but potentially not enough money to repair my current phone depending on cost if it were stop working again. I use my phone for everything as it’s not only my contact for my current work but on all my job applications so can’t really be without a phone. Also once you get an iphone it’s hard to go back to anything else.

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Jennifer we just upgraded from 5s as I was starting to have issues too... I say upgrade if you can to the next one.. I couldnt justify the newest (XR etc ) as the price was ridiculous and made no sense.. I think if I am not mistaken we went to 8 but 6 should be a low enough cost. It does not pay to fix them. You can get the info re phone contacts etc transferred over for you. I had to upgrade as my phone was crashing all the time. Good luck :)

3. littlekiwi

I’d only be going from 5s to 6s due to cost.

More than likely it was a service provider issue as it was searching for service or I had no service - calls, texts, data even though my phone company said “oh it’s nothing at our end after 20 mins of online and phone help, you’ll have to speak to Apple” which I did for nearly an hour yesterday

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

I understand oing from 5 to 6 exactly... well good luck whichever you choose to do!

5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

The only issue in upgrading to an model that is 3 or 4 below the current model is that the new 6 will struggle with the current software. They may offer iPhone 6 models in NZ that have the older iOS so it's something you might want to verify.

I now have a 10r and half way wish I'd bought an 8 mainly because I haven't learned the quirks and tricks of going with out a home button! But I don't recall that 5-> 6 having any learning curve.

I def wouldn't bother to repair unless it's the only only option.

cfile likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

@cookingmylife I have checked compatibility etc if I got just the 6s, would have preferred to do more of an upgrade but costs dictate as its several hundred more to get even a 7.

7. cfile

I went with the 8+ after researching as the camera seemed comparible to the 10 and I didn't need a lot of those meme things on the 10 so the 8+ it was. The 10XR did not have as good of a camera as the 8+ so that is why we went with the 8+ rather than the 10XR as the 10XR was only I think $50 more than the 8+.. the 10XS was significantly more costly and for my useage I am fine with the 8+.

Definitely something people want to research based on what they use their phones for for sure :)

8. cookingmylife

@cfile and @littlekiwi I also wish my new phone or even the 8 series had the 6 size. I like to carry a phone in a side pocket not a back one so fitting into a pocket has become an issue. My pants shopping has taken on a new requirement! We'll see what sizes are in 3 years which will prob be the soonest I upgrade.

cfile likes this.
  9. cfile

I agree.. yes the larger one is too big for most hands of women.. I had to get a black case with a grippy thing so I can hold onto it.. with me getting older and arthritus it is more cumbersome... Hubby always kept his phone in his pocket and it is more difficult with the larger phone of the 8 series so I agree on that.

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I would upgrade if it's within your budget as it's your primary device. I'm an Android girl, so I don't know all the differences, but it's always good to have a device you can trust and rely on, especially when you are out and about going to interviews, work appointments, etc.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love my iPhone7! I'm hanging onto it for as long as I can. I got the 128 G build it for lots of memory and it's worked out so well for me. I haven't come close to filling it up. Why am I hanging on to my 7? #1 I hate that they took the home button away - and from what I'm reading so do a lot of other people. #2 I really don't think I can handle anything much bigger than the 7. I have arthritis in my hands and I've played with friends 7+ and bigger and especially the 10's. I can hardly hold them. On a lighter note, one of the tech publications I get weekly are hinting that iPhone sales are lagging because of the lack of the home button mainly and that in the near future there will be an iPhone introduced that will have a home button and will only be slightly bigger than the 7. I hope it pans out!

12. littlekiwi

it’s not technically in my budget right now but I could make it work as I have money set aside earmarked for job interviews that could be replenished once I get paid from my current contract work.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

well I managed to wait a bit longer but as of a few hours ago I am now an iphone 6s user. Had to be done as it died a couple of days ago for good.

Tree City and cfile like this.
  14. cfile

best of luck with your new phone Jennifer!

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I bit the bullet the end of May and got me a new Galaxy S10. My Galaxy S5 has been acting up for over a year now so I decided it was time. But I hate the getting everything set up the way you like even if they have transferred things over. Stuff just doesn't always come through right. I've had it almost 3 weeks and am still tweaking settings!

16. cookingmylife

Well done Jennifer! Sometimes our iffy decisions are determined by necessity. You should have some good years ahead with the 6 series. I think it was my favorite.

17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Way to go Jennifer! I'm still holding onto my iPhone 7. My daughter just told me "it's SO small". :rollin