Prayers requested...DH is going for PET scan

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Mar 25, 2019.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Early last fall Dick started complaining about trouble swallowing fish oil capsules and I sighed and got him smaller ones. For all 18 years of our marriage, he has cut up his food in pieces smaller than I ever cut them for my children. Plus he likes to read while eating (not terribly mindful eating...)so I just figured he was just doing man-fussing. I know I'm not the only one who rolls her eyes at male fussing!

But as the months have gone by, it's become worse and he's gone from his GP to the first ENT who found nothing, a 2nd opinion who found nothing, to a neurologist, to a couple more doctors who said it was probably acid reflux and gave him meds for that, to a Osteopath who agreed it was acid reflux and finally to another ENT who after doing a up the nose down the esophagus video saw that the esophagus was very very narrow but said stay on the acid reflux meds for 6 months and come back. However, the swallowing was increasingly more difficult, getting food stuck in his esophagus and him having to force himself to throw up to get it out. That gave him a raw throat so even getting puree down hurt. There was never trouble breathing so his windpipe was fine. Early this year, one doctor wanted a MRI which insurance refused so he did have a CAT scan. There was a shadow in/on his esophagus. His mood was terrible, he couldn't eat much more than pureed food and even water was difficult. He's such an introvert he never talks about how he feels/worries etc so I've only had looks or one word answers if I ask him or suggest a food or more chewing. I've pretty much stopped making any suggestion or repeating ones the Doctors suggested. Sigh. Not a happy house. I know he's depressed but it comes out more as anger. I get that...

Last week he saw finally saw a Thoracic Surgeon who recommended a PET scan first to see where to biopsy. It's April 1st. A truly wonderful Doctor (as have been most of the others) but this one finally said...I'm not saying it's cancer, but I think it's something serious.

While Dick has strong faith and trust in his god, he balks at any of the suggestions offered by the doctor (denial?), slo, slow eating and lots of chewing, probiotics to try to keep his gut healthy, deep breathing etc etc. He is a man who wants to do it his way and get 'it' fixed. So please, prayers for both of us this coming week...me for patience and compassion and for him ... whatever he needs.

I'm taking care of me but it's hard to watch him suffer.

bestcee and QuiltyMom like this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Praying for you both and sending lots of love, it is hardest being the supporting spouse.

3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I would be honored to pray for him. I hope they are able to figure out what is going on.

4. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Prayers to both of you!

5. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

Prayers for you both!

6. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Maureen I will be praying for your husband that his PT scan comes back clear. Praying for you as well. <3

7. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Oh Maureen, I'm sorry to hear you and hubby are going through this. You'll be in my thoughts. Hugs!

8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

You two will most definitely be in my prayers! I've had a lot of GI issues, some of them were a bit harder to diagnose. (We've had a lot of GI issues in my family.) I know it's so hard to wait, and then wait for the diagnosis. The mind LOVES to run away on us, doesn't it? My sister had issues swallowing, and it was a goiter. I have a damaged esophagus (among other things!) and have a restrictive diet to eat only those foods that can be swallowed without being impacted. We just never know. I'll be praying for the two of you and for the doctors and such. Hopefully this will tell him what's going on! Hugs!!

9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm praying for you both, Maureen! It can be so difficult when waiting for answers, and I hear you on the "difficult patient" thing. Praying for strength for you both and for an easy PET scan!

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh Maureen, much love and many hugs! I wish for it to be something easy and treatable. The unknowing is the worst! Please know I am thinking of you and hoping for all good results! Boys do fuss (horribly, I might add), but when it actually matters, just like kids, we wish we could take away the pain and heartache!

11. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

So sorry for all you are going thru. Prayers said for both of you. Hugs!

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Praying for both of you right now, Maureen. HUGS

13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@cookingmylife Maureen, I feel for you. It is difficult to see them struggle, and even more so when they resist what they need. Sometimes that is how fear manifests in men. My DH just had a radioactive thyroid uptake today. If needed, he will do a PET next. Cancer is rampant in his biological family. But I am not borrowing trouble. Don't you either! So many different combinations could be the culprit. Prayers for you and all involved- and for a good report!

14. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Maureen, my heart goes out to you as you watch this happening to your husband. I pray that the results of PET will not be as bad as anticipated. I pray for wisdom for the doctors. I pray for you Maureen that you can find peace through it all.

15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

How frustrating for your husband and for you. Thinking lots of good thoughts that the doctors are able to find the cause and that he can finally get some relief. Hopefully it's something that can be easily treated. That's really annoying that insurance declined an MRI. That would make me furious! I'm glad you found a good doctor.

16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Praying for you both!! :heartlub

17. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Our dear Lord...I am praying for Dick and Maureen...that you will remind them to cast their anxiety upon You...that You will be merciful and gracious to them both. It is our hearts' desire that You will intervene and restore Dick to good health...that You will bring healthcare workers into his life that will reassure him and have the skills, knowledge, and wisdom to take the best care of him. I pray, too, that through all this, You will be glorified in whatever happens. Please put Dick's and Maureen's hearts, and all the others who love them, at peace. Asking in the precious name of Jesus.

BevG and Cherylndesigns like this.
  18. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

So sorry to hear this news, Maureen. Praying for the you both and wisdom and compassion for the doctors as they seek a diagnosis and treatment plan.

19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Prayers for both of you! May you find Peace in your hearts!

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Maureen - how frustrating for both of you. Sending hugs and prayers for him and you as you get the backlash from it. I really hope this new doctor figures out what the problem is and hopefully can treat it and he'll be on mend soon. We've had our fair share of medical woes over the years, it took about 5 yrs for my daughter to finally get treated for celiac disease and then for type 1.5 diabetes. My hubs had crohn's for a few yrs before they figured it out and the poor guy suffered terribly and he was so depressed and tired of it all. They are both in pretty good health now so it took time but proper treatment finally ensued.