Top Sheet | Pad Patter 2.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have to have a top sheet! Christa, @cfile I remember those duvets in Germany. The first night we got there, we didn't know what to do. I wasn't enthralled enough to get them when we returned to the States, however. They were super comfy.

IntenseMagic and cfile like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We love them ... they are perfect year round :) I feel like I sleep in the clouds :)

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I agree with that. I think the main reason I didn't was because I didn't want to cover them up (I loved the white!) but we had kids and dogs...……………………….

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    cfile likes this.
  4. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I use a top sheet. I always have, and I always will. My husband always wants warmer than I want to be, so the sheet is my salvation. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I hate top sheets and have always been that way. I like super soft blankets and then a comforter if I'm cold. My kids don't use top sheets either. I wash my blankets whenever I wash the bottom sheet and pillowcases.

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

See, that's what I thought, too...weird. I totally didn't know it was a thing!

Same! I cannot sleep without something covering me. I even asked my daughter what she does when she gets hot, just lay there all exposed? No, thank you! And Amen to the hot flash sweat!

Welcome to the dark side of top sheet weirdos hahaha

Yep, my kid sleeps in his clothes 99% of the time. He wears nothing but basketball type shorts so I guess it works.
    I with you on not wanting to wash the blankets/bedspread/comforter or whatever all the time.

I'm really digging this separate bedding thing. DH drives me nuts. He is a restless sleeper and everything goes everywhere. I can sleep all night and the bed looks like it was hardly touched lol.
    I guess I've raised a bunch of bed rebels, too! :giggle

Same, girl! Got to have it!

Yep, same here. DH likes the bedroom like a sauna and it drives me crazy! I need my sheet!

This is what my oldest says that he does...blanket with comforter on top of that. Idk, I get sweaty thinking about it haha I think I would have to have a super light blanket, but then I might as well use the sheet haha

SeattleSheri and blueberries like this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I stopped using a top sheet when I had kids. They slept with us and everyone had their own blanket. Now none of them want to use top sheets and it hasn’t bothered me. I have returned to using a top sheet on our bed though, to protect the comforter.

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

This is an eye opener for me, never realized you use blankets and comforters in USA I honestly thought the whole world used duvet's ,apart from hot countries. . We use a duvet with a cover that gets washed weekly,and in the inbetween season a fleese blanket type thing, that washes and dries quicker than a cotton top sheet,in summer a sheet or a towel. And yes definitly seperate duvet's .

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I seriously have no idea what a "true" duvet is....now to Google!!!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I always wait for PB sales!
    https://www.potterybarn.com/shop/be...-default-_-duvetshams_patterned&isx=0.0.15503

We use a duvet most of the year with the exception of the summer months when I pull out our warm-weather bedding (which a light-weight quilt). I would say most of the bedding sold in the US is quilts/comforters. I like duvets because we have a down comforter in ours and I like being warm when I sleep.

Our sheets are washed at a minimum every other week. I don't wash the duvet cover that often because I don't want to degrade the fabric and the fabulous top sheet acts as a barrier, so it doesn't really get soiled. I usually buy a new duvet every few years. I figure if I'm spending a third of my life using something, it's ok to invest every once in a while, lol.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

It must be a generational thing. I have been quietly embarrassed when finding out my kids and grandkids did not use top sheets! I thought they were neglectful parents! Or too broke to buy a full set of sheets. My goodness. What does "often" mean when washing a duvet cover? Surely not once a week as my generation washes sheets!!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU no-top-sheet people???!!!! Don't you know that a top sheet is PROPER!!!! okay...ROTF...if you can stand it, I won't butt in, but if I stay in your guest room, please either provide me with one or let me know I should bring my own! Seriously not getting over this conversation and this new enlightenment. i'm old.

12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Top sheets and a duvet for us. I did find that most duvets were too hot for us but finally found a silk one that breathes much better. I didn't know the no top sheet thing was big either until traveling in Europe when we only had duvet/cover which I didn't like at all!!! We use the duvet for three seasons and then a top sheet/cotton coverlet in the summer. Even when its hot out, I need to have a sheet over top too!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Seven kids, and only ONE uses top sheet. I fought them for years...but now, they do their own wash. You wash the blankets and all..one son has sheets on his bed, and comforter, he sleeps in a cocoon of blankets on top everynight!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I guess I'm weird because I use a top sheet. As far as I know, my millennial daughters use them, too.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I think my grown-up kids still use top sheets. I know my daughter & son-in-law don't tuck anything in because he's so tall they wouldn't stay tucked anyway. They do have a top sheet on their guest bed.

I always use a top sheet on the beds. Not having one strikes me as mighty peculiar as does the notion of two people sharing a bed having separate blankets. How on earth do you make the bed? Or don't you?

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

My husband and I have a top sheet and thin blanket in summer which the last few weeks only gets pulled up onto us in the early hours of the morning when the temperature drops a little. During winter we have top sheet and a feather doona which has channels allowing there to be more feathers on my half than my husband's as I feel the cold more than he does.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Umm I didn't know that not using a top sheet was an actual thing...

[​IMG]

We, of course, use a top sheet!!!! And I always have to sleep with a comforter. I like the weight of something on me while I sleep. I probably would love one of those thunder blanket things. Like even when it is 101 outside, must have a comforter and top sheet!

BevG and IntenseMagic like this.
  18. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Growing up we had the German eiderdown (duvet) without top sheet and that is what we have always used as a family. If we stay in a place with a top sheet I will rip it off before we sleep - I hate getting all tangled up in it. I just wash the duvet cover, sheet and pillowslips.
    No top sheet for this non-millennial either.
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My friend introduced me to the no top sheet on the kids bed movement. I loved it. I adopted it Marchish-Novemberish. With no pesky sheet, he can make his own bed. He likes the top sheet in the winter.
    I do have a top sheet. If it starts bugging me, I probably will stop. Well, I should just buy a duvet cover and call the top sheet quits. But I like just the top sheet in the summer when it's super hot.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I had a duvet at one time and can't for the life of me remember now why I got rid of it lol

Thanks for that link! I got lost there looking for a long time lol

My kids and I are still having this coversation, too. My son texted to tell me that they went shopping for sheets for their little girl and with no prompting she requested no top sheet. He had not told her about this conversation. I said basically the same thing "What is wrong with you people" haha

I think maybe that is the reason I got rid of the one I had...too hot. I love the look so maybe I need to shop around a bit more. And I'm the same, even when it's hot I cannot sleep without something on me.

Yep, I fought the good fight as well, but chalked it up to one of those things that just wasn't worth it lol. When I was a teen, I would sleep on top of my bedspread with blankets so I didn't have to make the bed haha.

Welcome to the club of weirdos :)

My DH is not tall, but he drives me nuts with untucking the top sheet, not enough to make me want to do without it, but nuts nonetheless. See, I like the idea of not fighting over the covers, but I'm not so sure how making the bed would go?

The feathered doona sounds so lovely, but I'm allergic to feather bedding :( That's really neat that you can have more feathers on your side!

See! I didn't know it was an actual thing either!! I am the same. I will sometimes throw the comforter off during the night if I get tooooo hot, but when I go to bed at night, I need the sheet and comforter on me!

I'm surprised my DH has not wanted to do away with ours as he is the one that is always getting tangled up lol. But I'm thinking that, like me, he just never thought of not having one.

I finally gave in with DS about a month ago and so far it's worked out well. He does much better with making the bed.

bestcee and SeattleSheri like this.