Goodreads Reading Challenge

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bcgal00, Dec 19, 2018.

1. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I'm way below my goal of 80 as I've only read 62 so far this year. I'm definitely not reading as much this past couple of years, but would like to get back to it again. I read 100 in 2015 and 75 last year, so I think I'm going to leave my goal at 80 again for the coming year.
    https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/11020444

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I fell just a hair short this year - 48 out of 50. I've done that twice now, and it drives me nuts. So I haven't decided if I'm going to sign up for a number this year or not.

Karen likes this.
  3. mrs2a50

I love the idea of writing down my thoughts as I read a book. So often I have a point I want to make when I review it at the end, but by the time I finish I forget it or I can't speak it as succinctly as I originally could. I couldn't do this log though - I can't read a book because I'm challenged to read a book originally in a different language, or read a book about a book. That totally spoils it for me.

Karen and Tree City like this.
  4. mrs2a50

5. mrs2a50

We read a lot of the same books!

amien1 likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I can see that. :) For me, I'm looking at the Book Riot challenge almost like a self-led book club cuz I get a little input from them (read a book about a book) but I get to make the final selection. It's about expanding my literary horizons, if you will.

There are "book journals" out there, though, that are what you're looking for. Cuz I know exactly what you mean about wanting to write down your thoughts as you go!

mrs2a50 likes this.
  7. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I love to read but totally fell of the bandwagon this year! BUT I am so looking forward to get back to reading again and I will definitely put a new goal for 2019! Think I'm gonna put my goal at 30 books - I am a fast reader.... :D

8. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I set a goal for 2018 of 12 books. I got 19 read. I did re-read/re-listen to Harry Potter but didn't log them since I've read them so many times. I read a lot for work so I can't fit in as many books as I'd like to.

https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/10169979

Karen likes this.
  9. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

I set my goal as 90 for the last several years. Last year I read almost 100, but this year I got to 86. I didn’t read much at the beginning of the year because I had a concussion, so I feel pretty good about my totals. I am entertained by the page totals, over 30,000. I’ll definitely set 90 as my goal again. I do it more to keep track of what books I read and want to read.

Karen and enjoyyourpix like this.
  10. juljul13

juljul13 Member

Geez, you gals have inspired me to read more and to log into Goodreads. Do you count audiobooks? My husband read 37 books this year and I thought that was great (considering he ran 787 miles training and completing a marathon). But you all have surpassed that number. Wait til I tell him hahaha

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  11. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Yes I count audiobooks! I always have an audiobook going because I have a boring drive to work and then I wait in the car for kids a lot

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  12. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes audiobooks definitely count! If they don’t, my total is probably like 15 or something. Rofl. I listen to a lot of audiobooks.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I think my challenge is changing. I read so much, a lot if fun books - thriller, mysteries, paranormal, witchy, series, etc. I think I will challenge myself to read 12 books outside my normal genres. Just because. I will have my regular challenge, but my side challenge will be to read those 12 different books as well. Double Whammy. :giggle Off to make my challenge a go!

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  14. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

It took me a while to say that audio books count. lol! Hoping to add more this year.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  15. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I count audiobooks. I have a list going at mobileread.com and I indicate if a book is traditional or audio; unmarked books are digital. I'm also choosy about the books that I add to my Goodreads list and make a point of picking the edition that I actually read and not just whatever the default one is.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  16. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

Good luck with your goals everyone!

I do the Goodreads challenge every year and set my goal for 2019 to 200 books. In 2018 my goal was 150 and i read 172 so I decided to push myself this time around.

17. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I never updated my goodreads, but still plan to since I did snap a picture of each book I finished. I didn't even make my small goal though, but considering 2018 was so busy I'm not surprised. Here's to a better 2019 on the reading front! I'll wait until after January to make my goal.

18. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I count audiobooks! I'm not a tv person, so I listen to audiobooks while I scrap (and while I do boring house chores, like cooking and cleaning). The last few years I've set my goal at 100 books. I usually make it easily, but in 2017 I fell a few books short and in 2018 I just barely made it. I kept my 2019 goal at 100; when I'm reading less, it's usually because I'm wasting too much time online instead of scrapping and listening! I also read some e-books every year, but I'm sure that's a small number out of my 100.

19. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I'm not participating in the Goodreads challenge, but I've made a personal goal to read 52 books this year. I've got about 30 titles pre-selected and then I'll fill in the rest during the year, assuming I'm coming anywhere close to reaching my goal! I'm a pretty fast reader and I've also committed to one day a week of no technology, so here's hoping. :)

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@janedee Thx Jane for sharing your goodreads 2018 challenge board. We've read some of the same books and the J.T. Ellison books looked interesting. I reserved a few of them with my library.

BTW.....for anyone sharing their goodreads challenge link, it only works if we're friends on goodreads, otherwise the link doesn't work. Mine is under rae clevett if you want to find me.

janedee likes this.