Soup|Pad Patter 11.12

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 12, 2018.

1. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I used to have the recipe, but not anymore. I think it had peanut butter in it.

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1. Do you like soup? Yes!
    2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) Potato soup or chicken corn chowder or tomato basil
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? I can eat year round, but prefer not to eat it during the summer. It's too hot here.
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? Yes! Maybe it's because we always talk about food on the computer/during chats . . . and now you have a Pavlovian response! bwahahahaha
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) I can't think of anything unusual.

busywoman139 likes this.
  3. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

1. Do you like soup? YES!
    2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) The soup at Olive Garden - Zuppa Toscana is my favorite. I make a low-carb version at home (cauliflower instead of potatoes). I have several recipes. I'll leave links below for the ones on my Pinterest board
    Paleo Pork Posole https://www.pinterest.com/pin/78531587238153853/
    RunAmok Mama's Chuckwagon Charm https://www.pinterest.com/pin/78531587234546486/ (my daughter's fave; I don't make it often as it's a little more involved recipe)
    Vegetable Beef Medley Soup https://www.pinterest.com/pin/78531587230749039/ (A quick recipe that I make at least once a week or every other week)
    Zuppa Toscana soup https://www.pinterest.com/pin/78531587226415113/ (I substitute cauliflower for pototoes and reduced # of bouillion cubes to 2. I also used minced garlic for puree and typical don't add bacon or onions)
    Mutton stew (my mom makes this with sheep or goat meat (bone-in), potatoes, carrots)
    And last Tomato Bisque from the deli at Safeway grocery store (still trying to find a similar recipe to make at home)
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? Year round
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? I just had zuppa toscana so I'm good :-9
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) Pea soup. Just. No.

busywoman139 likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

1. Do you like soup?
    I LOVE soup- but no one else in my house does. :( I try to get soup/salad or something when we eat out so that I can still enjoy it.
    2. What is your favorite soup?
    My favorite is Clam Chowder from Budd Bay Cafe in Olympia, WA. At home- I'm a big fan of homemade split pea/ham
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing?
    I eat it year round- but there is something about a warm bowl of soup when it's cold outside (or you're sick!)
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry?
    Me too! :) But... no soup for dinner today!
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had?
    I'll say gazpacho too! Cold soup is strange....

busywoman139 likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I always want a recipe!
    And in this case - doubly so! Low and slow is my jam. I don't have a great potato soup recipe.

6. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

1. Do you like soup? Yes
    2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) New England Clam Chowder
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? It’s a cold weather thing
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? Yes and I’m hungry too
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) Cold cantaloupe soup

7. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) Panera's Broccoli Cheese, Clam Chowder from Waterfront, a local seafood restaurant, and my award winning Chili (recipe below) (won 1st place at 2 different work chili cook-off's!)
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? All year round but more when it's cold out!
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? LOL
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) Probably gazpacho - it was good but I prefer my soup warm!

Gr8est Chili
    2 lbs ground beef (I like to use 85/15)
    2 cans Mrs Grimes Chili Beans
    2 cans V8 (I use regular, feel free to use lower sodium or spicy)
    2 cans tomato soup
    1 or 2 cans tomatoes - I used to do 2 (because the original recipe was basically a 1:1:1:1:1 ingredient list) but found our family likes a little less actual tomatoes so I use 1 can now. I like these because they are diced but no skin, but really, whatever you have on hand or can find at your local store is fine! Also, some brands have a "chili ready" version and those add some good flavor.
    Chili powder (mild or hot, your choice)
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Peri Peri seasoning
    Paprika
    Salt
    Pepper
    Oregano

Directions:
    Brown the ground beef, seasoning thoroughly with all of the seasonings. I like to use this tool to really break up the meat. Drain or don't drain the meat, it's up to you (I don't). Turn the heat down and add in all of the canned ingredients, stirring to combine. Add another round of seasonings, stir to combine. Taste to determine if you need to add more seasonings. I usually end up adding another 10-20 shakes of the chili powder, 5 turns of the salt grinder, and 3 shakes of the peri peri seasoning. (Sorry, I don't have measurements on the seasoning!!)
    Then it's done! You can eat it right away but, of course, it's always better the next day after the flavors have melded together even more.
    We top with sour cream, shredded colby jack cheese, and Fritos corn chips. Enjoy!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  8. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I LOVE soup! Favorites are Roasted Yellow Pepper and Chicken Tortilla. I eat soup most often in cooler weather, but grilled cheese and tomato basil is a go to any time.

Most unusual - I made a pumpkin & peanut butter soup once from a recipe in a cook book that I usually enjoy. This was a little weird though, won't make it again.

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This is made the old fashioned way - Grandma and Mom made there's like this. We have it quite often and all love it. I usually make a big pot, because we all want left overs. Here's my normal recipe:

* 8 medium sized potatoes, peel and cut into average size pieces, not real small, because they get too mushy.
    * Cook in a large pot filled with salted, buttered (real butter) water, until potato chunks are fork tender.
    * When potatoes are done, pour off most of the water and here's the secret - you're going to cook low and slow in 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 Half 'n Half. (If you're worried about calories, you can go the skim route, but it won't be as good.)
    When you add the milk in the pot, add more butter, salt and pepper to taste. Mom used to add onion pieces, but my family doesn't like that, so I leave them out. (If I add any additional liquid, I add Half 'n Half.)
    * Your potatoes are done when you add the milk, so basically all you're doing is letting all of the potatoes, milk and Half 'n Half sit in there and marinate. You can cook it as long as you want. Adjust your flame/heat accordingly. I don't like to rush mine, I like to let it simmer really low and smell that heavenly aroma.
    * When you're about ready to eat it, it the potato chunks are still big, you can take a fork and kind of break them up a bit, but again, don't make it mushy. We like some chunks in ours.

Here's a tip: If you happen to get it too thin, you can add instant mashed potatoes and let it simmer and voila - you have thicker soup. I also have "stretched" my soup to make it go a little further by adding instant mashed potatoes. Let me know if you try it! Of course, you must keep tasting it as you go - :perfect

10. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) My favorite is the Albondigas from my favorite mexican restaurant.
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing?Usually cold weather but I'll eat that Albondigas all year round
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? yes!
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) :shrug

11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

1. Do you like soup? Yes! I love soup.
    2. What is your favorite soup? Oh goodness. I don't know! I'll have to look at what I've made. I have a lot of recipes, so I'll try to find some of them and post them.
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? Mostly a cold weather thing. It gets so hot here during the summer that I don't want to cook at all - or eat hot foods!
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? I'm right there with ya.
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) I'll have to think on this one. My memory is like Swiss cheese these days...

13. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

1. Do you like soup? Yes, my mom was a great soup maker and I have her recipes.
    2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) Bean soup that I make from leftover ham at Easter but I'm including another recipe for Tamale soup that I make a lot.
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? We mainly have soup in the fall and winter but we have some soup year around.
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? Yes, is it cold there too?
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) Strawberry soup, it was served cold and it was yummy.

Tamale soup

Recipe

• 1 pound ground beef
    • 1 chopped onion
    • 1 chopped green pepper
    • 2 tablespoons oil
    • 1 15-ounce can corn, drained
    • 2 beef bouillon cubes
    • 2 cups water
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
    • 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    • 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
    • 10 fresh tamales, frozen (see “Tips”) or canned Tamales
    • Grated cheese
    Brown beef with onion and pepper in oil in a large skillet. Drain off grease. Add corn and bouillon that has been dissolved in water. Add other ingredients, except tamales and cheese. Cook on low heat until flavors are blended. Thirty minutes before serving, cut the frozen tamales into one-inch pieces and add to soup. If tamales are not frozen, they will fall apart after a short time. Top servings with cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

Tips From Our Test Kitchen: If fresh tamales are not available, use canned. Drain, remove paper, and slice into one-inch pieces. Add at last minute to soup to heat through. Makes 6 to 8 bowls.

14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) Chili & my sister makes a creamy chicken, mushroom soup that I love.
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? Mostly in the fall and winter. In fact, we've had soup 3x this week!
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? Yes. LOL!
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? I don't know that I've had anything unusual. But I think Gazpacho soup is weird. Soup should be hot.

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

1. Do you like soup? Now, as an adult -yes, as a kid /teen, nope it was only for when I was sick & kind of gross canned stuff
    2. What is your favorite soup? (Bonus points for recipes!) pumpkin - nothing fancy, I'm the only one that likes it so I just stick the whole pumpkin on a tray in the oven (poke a few holes in the skin so it doesn't explode (I don't know if it would but better safe!) & when it's sort of caved in on itself, (about 1-1.5hrs) skin it, discard seeds & puree with chicken or veg stock to thin it & add some Mexican spice &/or chickpeas & natural yoghurt
    3. Do you eat soup year-round or is it a cold weather thing? Year-round on coldish days though
    4. Can you tell I'm hungry? Yes & lucky we just had dinner or I probably would b now too - instagram & Pinterest are the worst to look at at mealtimes
    5. What's the most unusual soup you've had? (To you. Which might be normal to other people.) I stick to mainstream but watermelon soup (pretty much like a slushy) is the only cold soup I've had & it's nice