I did the DNA thing on ancestry.com....anyone else?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by StarryEyedDesigns, May 4, 2016.

1. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I got my results back today. I was very surprised at them. We thought for sure that Irish would be a dominant one on the list, however, it came in at only 2%! I was kind of disappointed about that. There were also things that my mother has said we are, that weren't there at all. I was surprised about the Native American and Italian/Greek. Here are my results:

56% European Jewish
    32% Great Britain
    1% Native American
    1% Scandinavian
    3% Western European
    2% Italian/Greek
    2% Irish

Has anyone else done it? Were you happy, disappointed, surprised, with your results? I also liked that ancestry.com matches you with potential relatives who have also done the DNA. Apparently I have a LOT of 4th, 5th and 6th cousins..lol

LoveItScrapIt and scrapsandsass like this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

How cool! Do you have info that shows an ancestor (or ancestors) came here from Ireland? It just proves how much emigrating happened before people immigrated to the US. :) My family is, as far as we can go back, from one nation: maybe I need to have my DNA checked just to see how true that is rotfl.

I haven't had my DNA tested but DH and I were actually talking about it just yesterday. As far as his ancestors prior to coming to the US, he's kind of a mix of European nations while, as I said, I'm not. :) And he'd LOVE it if my results came out like yours (where the lineage we thought would be the majority just isn't). Personally that wouldn't surprise me because I don't look how my ancestry says I "should" look--except for my height. :) (But I guess that just shows how wrong it is to stereotype...)

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have not, but it sounds so interesting! I must check this out! :) I believe my family hails from England and Ireland, mostly. Both sides. DH is Italian and Irish. I would love to do this for my kids too!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

we haven't done the DNA, but my mom and a cousin did the paperwork part, years ago. Following trails with birth, wedding and census documents. I have this amazing folder of ancestors that touch me so much. My mom's side, we knew came thru Ellis Island from Ireland. I have one obituary from a newspaper in New York with grandparents who when they passed, were talked about how they were known for the Christian fellowships in their home. My parents always had huge parties (not so Christian..lol) but my home is full to the brim with fellowships from our church on an almost monthly basis.

LoveItScrapIt and Tree City like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't, but my sister did, and since we have the same parents... hers is the same as mine. Lol. Here are the results:

Great Britain 62%
    Scandinavia 14%
    Italy/Greece 9%
    Europe West 9%
    Europe East 2%
    Iberian Peninsula 2%
    European Jewish 1%
    Ireland 1%

6. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I'm sure I read somewhere lately that said she did one, and her brother did another, with different results! I will have to find that for sure....

I haven't done it, but I'm interested. I only know names up 4 generations... not birthdays or anything. I honestly know very little about our ancestry, and didn't bother to ever research before.

7. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I so want to do this! Maybe I'll ask for the kit for Christmas :-) I would like for my husband to do one as well. Assumption is that they're Polish as all of our tracing of his family tree has gone back to relatives emigrating from Poland. But like Sara mentioned, you wonder how much moving around was done before they got to Poland. My family is such a mix and immigrated here so long ago, that I've never really had an ethnic identity the way my husband has. I would love to see what my results would be.

And as for all of this stuff... I love watching Who Do You Think You Are and I'm sad that the season just ended.

Tree City likes this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I did mine and also had my granddaughter do hers. Since she is the child of my daughter who is Thai we figured that would also give us a lot of info on my daughter whose birth parents were both Thai.

Unfortunately, my son and I let our Ancestry account lapse and I don't have those results now. I had planned to reactivate the account and do some more research this summer so... Today's the day to call them so thanks for this reminder!

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Well, considering all of my family hailed from Sweden, I've never had the desire to do it. It would be Swedish/Scandinavian, and whatever else the Vikings may have mixed in way back when. :D

Besides, the whole having my DNA floating out there doesn't make me too comfortable.

10. Karen

My sister and I did joke that if I did mine and my results came back drastically different our parents would have some 'splaining to do! Lol! I happy to think her and pretty much the same as mine. I'm too cheap to pay the $75 or whatever it was just to find out that yep, we have the same stuff. :)

klee73010 and Tree City like this.
  11. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I was just going to ask what the price to do this was. I am very curious about my parents. My father always said his side was French and English while my mother said her side was Irish and Czechoslovakian, which of course isn't even a country any more. What a mixture!!

12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I really want to do this - so interesting. However, my DH, aka Mr. Information Security, is very concerned about what they are doing with that database and how the information is stored and/or shared with 3rd party vendors. Their private statement definitely leaves them plenty of wiggle room. This probably won't stop me though! LOL

13. klee73010

Found it! She says she got it as a gift from her parents; she and her brother were different, though "baked" the same! ;)
    http://www.scrapbookladypages.com/blog/dna?rq=dna

14. klee73010

now, I know my brother and I would be different, because we are half siblings anyway. :giggle
    I have two full sisters, and I wonder how different they'd be!

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

How interesting! I'd love to give it a try. My sister and I are both adopted, and while I know some of the ancestry of my adoptive parents, I know nothing of my biology. I am definitely going to have to check it out!

16. Karen

okay that is just weird!

klee73010 likes this.
  17. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

I'm going to get one for my sister to do, even though we have the same parents. I also want to do my oldest child. His bio-dad claims they have Native American on their side, and I want to see if it's true and how much.

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My mom did this with my uncle I believe? I'll have to see if she ever actually finished it.
    I have a lot of paper trail, but have never done the DNA thing.

It creeps me out slightly, but then again, I'm the girl who thinks "I hope the person who received my donated hair doesn't commit a crime and blame me."
    Lol.

19. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

My husband is a hairdresser and I'm constantly suggesting that he pocket hair to aid in my crime spree.

norton94, VinGirl, MrsPeel and 2 others like this.
  20. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I haven't done it although I could have. But I've done a lot of the tracing back. Growing up my dad said he was almost full German. Which I now don't understand because he knew his grandma was Welsh. It was interesting. I just need to figure how to assemble it so it's readable and would mean something to someone else.

MrsPeel and bestcee like this.