Creating, Linking and Updating Signatures

Discussion in 'The Welcome Pad' started by lmccandless, Dec 21, 2015.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Ever wonder how to edit your signature? Here is a relatively simple tutorial to get you rolling...

First, you can create an image in whatever program you normally use to scrap. These instructions are for Photoshop, first and then for relatively any other program towards the bottom. Adding your signature to the forum will be the same for any program as it is TLP software specific.

============================================
    FAQs ABOUT IMAGES:

A. What size do you all create your siggy images? Do you create full size then scale down, or do you start with your small-scale canvas?
    I always create at a full-sized-ish canvas (3600x1800) - makes it that much easier to use whatever elements desired because they [the elements] are all full-sized. Then, I typically flatten my image, select only the graphics and crop to just the visible area so there isn't a lot of padding around the image. Then, I downsize the original image down to a more manageable web-size. You can downsize a couple of ways - you can either do it in your main program window or you can do it in PS when you Save for Web and Devices... (see below - Step 4 for PS).

Our forum rules say that images may NOT BE LARGER than 600x300 but that is still pretty big. Typically, I stick with around 300x115 for mine - don't want to make for a lot of scrolling in the forums! I would recommend exporting your image as a jpg then dragging and dropping that entire image into your browser to see exactly what size it will appear; then, proceed to cutting it up.
    B. What type of files do I export for the web?
    If you do not have a solid image (meaning something with a rectangle of background paper), you will need to export the files as PNGs so they appear with transparent backgrounds when displayed on the site (see steps below). If you have an image with a full background, you can just as easily use JPGs - the example below could easily be used with JPGs.
    TO CUT AN IMAGE FOR LINKING: PHOTOSHOP

If you use a program such as PS that has a slice tool, follow these steps to cut up your image...

1. Select the slice tool under the crop tool
    [​IMG]

2. Use the slice tool to cut up your image into however many slices (these will be individual images) as you desire. For this example, I will use three (to be three links once done).
    [​IMG]

3. Save your image for Web...
    [​IMG]

4. There will be three files saved in this example because the image was divided into three slices. Make sure that you have the Format selected as PNG; here is where you can resize the image to a more manageable web size if you desire and haven't already done it. If you have already resized your image, simply leave the Image Size section at its default. Click Save. Select a folder location where you can easily find these saved files.
    [​IMG]

5. The images will then be saved to whatever specified file location you selected in a folder titled Images. In this folder, you will see the images you saved and that will compose your siggy (in this case, there are three).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Upload each of the saved images (testsiggy1.jpg, testsiggy2.jpg and testsiggy3 .jpg) to whatever host you typically use (ie Photobucket).

7. Proceed to "To Add Your Image & Links to Your Forum Signature" below.

TO CUT AN IMAGE FOR LINKING: RELATIVELY ANY PROGRAM

If you don't have the slice tool in the program you use to scrap, you can still cut it up (you can use this in PS, as well).

For this example, I will show a siggy with three parts (the same procedure follows for any amount of image cuts)...

1. First, you need to resize your image for the web if you created it at full-size (ie. 3600x1800). Flatten your image and then do this as you would normally resize any image.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Drag your image into your web browser to double check the size - does it display as you wish it to? Once you have resized it appropriately, proceed to Step 3.

3. Select the far left side of your image w/ a selection tool, as far over as you want that to be linked.
    [​IMG]

4. Crop the image to just that far left side
    [​IMG]

5. Save that image for web (like siggypart1.jpg)

6. Uncrop or go back a step so you're back to your full siggy but don't deselect.
    [​IMG]

7. Invert the selection on the image
    [​IMG]

8. Crop again so now you should have just the right side of the image
    remaining (if you cut out that left portion or 1/3).
    [​IMG]

9. Again, select the far left side of your image w/ a selection tool, as far over as you want that to be linked.
    [​IMG]

10. crop the image to just that selection
    [​IMG]

11. Save that image for web (like siggypart2.jpg)

12. Uncrop again or go back a step so you're back to the remaining portion of your image (the remaining 2/3) but don't deselect.
    [​IMG]

13. invert the selection on the image
    [​IMG]

14. Crop to the remainder which should give you the remaining image to be saved.
    [​IMG]

15. Save that remaining image for web (like siggypart3.jpg).

16. Upload each of the saved images (siggypart1.jpg, siggypart2.jpg and siggypart3.jpg) to whatever host you typically use (ie Photobucket).

17. Proceed to "To Add Your Image & Links to Your Forum Signature" below.

NOTE: the same rules apply if you want to cut up your image horizontally vs vertically.

TO ADD YOUR IMAGE & LINKS TO YOUR FORUM SIGNATURE

To add your new signature to the forum, complete the following steps:

1. Make sure you have at least 5 posts.

2. Upload your siggie. If it meets the Lilypad Gallery Requirements, you can load it here. If not, use an alternate hosting site.

3. (TLP Gallery) After uploading your signature to the gallery, simply copy the Share BB Code link.
    (Alternate Gallery) Copy the image URL of your signature at the hosting site.

4. Look up to the right hand corner where your name is, and click on your name. The second link down is "Signature". Click it.
    Now you will see a blank box. You can type in this box or add the signature image you created.

5. (TLP Gallery) Simply paste in the code from Share BB Code box that you copied earlier.
    (Alternate Host) Click the icon with the mountain. Insert the URL from the above step.

6. Once you hit "Insert", you have the option of pressing "Preview" or "Save Changes". Make sure you Save Changes before you leave this screen.

As always, if you have any questions, find an error in this tutorial or need help, feel free to PM me! I'm happy to help. Or, if you have any questions that may benefit others, please feel free to post them in reply to this post, and I will do my best to get them answered!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
    DenetteS, KellyM and mrs2a50 like this.
  2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Can this be edited to make it clear that splitting is optional, and the tutorial is just for the people who are interested in that? There were a few questions on the old thread from people who thought they needed to do this even if they didn't want to.

3. DixieDoesPSP

DixieDoesPSP Well-Known Member

Okay i think I have uploaded a new Siggy and my MOC tag!! Yeah me!!

lorryfach likes this.
  4. jaharvey

jaharvey Well-Known Member

Once I've created a siggy, how do I add it? Do I need to add it to my member gallery in order to have a URL to link to? Can I not just add the file? Sorry if this seems obvious, but I'm new here. Everything else has seemed pretty easy!

Trish likes this.
  5. BoatLady

BoatLady Active Member

I must have a brain block going on. I cannot make it happen either...I hope to get a siggie and the MOC too. Good luck to you.

6. BoatLady

BoatLady Active Member

This is a super siggy. I hope I can figure it out too.

7. lorryfach

It does need to be uploaded somewhere first so you have a URL for it. You can add it to the gallery here if it meets the gallery requirements, or you can upload it to any other site (Photobucket, Flickr, Dropbox, etc.) that allows direct linking. Hope that helps! :)

8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I don't know a lot about Dropbox, but it doesn't seem to work to create a publicly viewable image, since I just see a box in your signature. You need to use a site that is designed for public image sharing (like Photobucket), or if you've used TLP product to create it, you can post it in your gallery here. :)

9. lorryfach

You can use Dropbox, but you have to put it in the Public folder. :)

jaharvey likes this.
  10. jaharvey

jaharvey Well-Known Member

I've tried putting it in the Dropbox public folder. That seems to work. Next time I'll make it a little smaller, but so happy this is working! Now on to the MOC4 challenges!

bestcee, lorryfach and staciahall like this.
  11. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

This is a great tutorial!
    First catching on with MOc, added this on my to do list...

12. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Is there a post that tells how to add the images and the links to the forum signature box? For the super-duper COMPUTER challenged scrappers???
    LOL!!! :hummm

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Kelly....
    Mine are the link for pinterest for the first image, then link for Flickr for the 2nd image.

I think just posting the code might work, and you can cut and paste your info in those spots. Take out the #signs/space. It is continuous with no spacing, but the margins make it look as if I hit enter between.

[#URL=#'https://www.pinterest.com/jk703/'][#IMG]#https://thetypativescrapper.smugmug.com/photos/i-zFQmpkp/0/O/i-zFQmpkp.png[#/IMG][#/URL][#URL=#'https://www.flickr.com/photos/120037825@N06/'][#IMG]#https://thetypativescrapper.smugmug.com/photos/i-TCkmWGL/0/O/i-TCkmWGL.png[#/IMG][#/URL]

@KellyM

Cherylndesigns and KellyM like this.
  14. KellyM

I think I did it....
    :banana

bestcee likes this.
  15. KellyM

:furiousI spoke too soon... the links are jacked up and linking to photo bucket!

16. lulyg14

lulyg14 Testosterone Overload

I finally got mine updated! Thanks @jk703 !

Now to actually edit my image, LOL

Cherylndesigns, bestcee and jk703 like this.
  17. LBscraps

LBscraps Well-Known Member

I did it! I think I did it - I guess I need to hit post to find out!

Editing to say - YAY!!! I really DID do it!!!
    Note to self - next time make the words bigger.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  18. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

testing mine out. if anyone thinks it's too big please let me know.

I think it looks ok now that its posted :)

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have no idea where you SEE a person's signature. I haven't seen one in a person's post which is where I'm used to seeing them in other forums or anywhere on the public profile. You've lost me here. :(

20. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

@cookingmylife - There's an option in your account preferences that says "Show people's signatures with their messages" - make sure that box is checked.

enjoyyourpix likes this.