Social Media & Bosses?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Nikki Epperson, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

So, I woke up this morning to a friend request on FB from my boss. I haven't accepted it yet, but it got me thinking about others, lol.
    Are you friends with your boss on FB or other social media platforms?
    I just don't know if I want to think I need to monitor what I'm going to say. ;)

2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I have to admit I am friends on facebook with a couple former bosses, who also became close friends. I'm not sure I would want to friend my current boss - not that he isn't a great person, but as you say - I'm not sure I want him following my private life or posts. The thing is now, - if you don't accept the friend request - then what? Its a tricky situation. You could always accept then unfriend in a couple of weeks - When you unfriend the person is not notified, and maybe won't notice?

I'm glad my current boss didn't ask to friend me.. :-)

3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Nope. Hmmm... I just don't seeing it happen for me. I'm not friendly with my bosses enough outside of work to warrant them being my friend. Plus, I'd be worried they would use my FB against me in some way. FB is fun for me... not something that I usually take seriously in what I post, but I don't really post downers or bad things. More recipes, scrapping, jokes, cartoons, fun and random questions, and lots of photos. It would limit me, and I wouldn't like that.

You could friend them, and then make a "list" that would block them from most of your posts. But still... the thinking before posting would bother me.

4. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I am FB friends with several of my employees (coming from it from the other side, I know) b/c they sent requests. I honestly didn't think a thing about it. We are not really "friends" in real life but we all like each other and work well together. The way I see it, nothing on the internet is truly private, so if you post something you wouldn't want your boss to see, there are no guarantees they won't see it anyway. Especially in the age of tagging and sharing.

That said, if you are not friendly with them and don't talk to them IRL about anything other than work, I can't imagine them getting upset (or even noticing) if you don't respond to their request. If they were to bring it up (awkward), just tell them you keep your FB page for your personal life only.

If you do accept, be careful about posting while you are supposed to be working :giggle . Those time stamps will get you every time. LOL.

5. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

My boss isn't on social media so I don't have to worry about that. I was very cautious with co-workers and waited until I felt like I knew them well and had a relationship with them aside from work before connecting via social media.

6. Nikki Epperson

I *think* this is my main concern lol. I don't usually post about work, but I do share or post during working hours lol. I work at a daycare, but am not in the classroom. I'm the cook, *shrug* when I'm waiting on noodles or something, I check FB, IG, etc.

7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

my SIL had a sales type job and was friends with her boss on FB. it really created problems bc her hours were flexible but she was on FB ALL the time. be very careful!

8. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Really depends on the rules...

9. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

This is where Facebook lists come in very handy. Maybe accept but put into a list that's not posted to?

10. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Yeah, this is why Lists exist. I'd accept and immediately put them on the Restricted list.

11. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I don't have a boss but would do this. :)

As a side note, do you ever wonder what lists people put you on as far as FB? I think about that occasionally. :giggle

12. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

So I do have my boss on FB, as we have been friends for the last 10 years. I don't worry too much about it, though, because as an administrator for the local school department I have really toned down what I am posting. I also utilize lists, especially many of my former students who are now adults want to be friends. I can accept them and then not let them see anything.

13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My current boss, and former boss, not on fb for me to worry about it. I do have enough of my teammates/coworkers on my page that I tend to be careful about posting during work hours, and un tag myself from unpleasant posts or photos if I was tagged originally (like pics of my Bachelorette party.... no one needs reminding how drunk I got!) , or if my husband posts some Uber political or fowl language post (he does NOT hold back) and tags me in for some weird reason (though he doesn't usually).

My coworkers that I'm close with, and close friends outside of work know what I'm "really like".

14. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I'm not friends with my boss on Facebook. I am friends with several colleagues. But I'm not very active, I mostly read. And during working hours I really don't go on fb. I'm a teacher and I really don't have time for that during classes! So I have no problem there either.
    I did not know about the lists thing that well. I should check that out. I just don't accept any requests from students or former students.

I do use other social media such as Twitter (which is public), Pinterest (public) and Tumblr (which is very private, I even use a nickname on there, which I don't do usually because my name is so unique, it's almost always still available.). I would be horrified if anyone I know found my Tumblr. That's such an anonymous place!!

15. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

My boss did just send me a friend request on Facebook. Has this thread magic powers or something?

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

YEPPERS!

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I always tell people it's my policy to not be friends on Facebook with current coworkers or bosses. Mostly, because i know how you could manipulate a post with Photoshop....

It's worked well, I've never had anyone be mad when i explain it. And i don't have to worry about being friends with someone and then becoming their boss or vice versa. So i just say no.

18. Nikki Epperson

I accepted her friend request, but she is definitely going to be restricted. I really don't post much, lol, but I don't want her seeing EVERYTHING!

19. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

This is a really interesting thread, some really good points to be made for both!

20. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I am not, but I am friends with several former bosses. I think it depends on your relationship with said boss. I am a manager and am fb friends with some of my employees. But I did get a request from someone in corporate, and it has sat in my to be request box for almost a year now. I really only post cat stuff and my layouts, but I felt strange accepting her friend request.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015