Printing on vellum & transparencies

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by MelanieB, Feb 27, 2015.

1. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with this? This is something that I really want to start adding to my PL.

I have a Canon Pixma MX922, but I think I remember reading that inkjet printers aren't so great at printing on vellum & transparencies.

Do you prefer a specific brand of vellum/transparency?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I print on an inkjet vellum, I forget the brand but I got it on Amazon. And I've printed on 3M inkjet transparencies, as well. I have a Canon as well, and I just make sure to let it sit and dry before using it. It doesn't take too long! I just let it rest while I continue working.

3. MelanieB

OK! I didn't realize there were vellum & transparencies made specifically for inkjet printers! Thanks for the info.

What paper setting do you use to print vellum & transparencies from your Canon? Just plain paper?

4. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I didn't know inkjet weren't good for that type printing. I have done it for years. I print on some cheap vellum I picked up at Walmart and some transparencies I picked up at the office store. It's their brand. It has a specific side for printing on. Both turned out great for me. The only thing I can not figure out is how to get it to print white. It prints it like a "see through grey" color for me. Very confusing. I use the plain paper setting. My new printer doesn't have a setting for transparencies, which I find weird because my old cheap printer did. I am printing on a Canon Pixma.

The middle pocket has one of the transparencies over the pocket card.
    [​IMG]

Used one of val's transparencies from Hello MPM on the bottom right pocket. Love how it shows through to the other side too.
    [​IMG]

The middle pocket on the right side is one of Amber's Hello, friend vellum pocket cards. I printed it on the cheap walmart vellum i have and layered it over one of my photos.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  5. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

I have printed on vellum and transparencies with no problem but i have a laser printer. I used to have an ink jet and vellum was ok but transparencies not so much...

6. MelanieB

Thank you so much for the info! :heartlub

I was happy to find transparencies for inkjet printers and vellum at the local Staples! (Although, it was a bit of a scavenger hunt through the store. I thought everything would be in the printer paper section, but the transparencies were in the computer section on the other side of the store & the vellum was in the invitations section!)

Thank you for all the examples, Amanda! You are doing really fun stuff with your PL this year!

7. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I'm surprised it prints anything at all. When I used to try and print white nothing appeared on my printer. I found out why though. Printers don't print white. They just assume the paper is white and leave that part without any ink. Makes sense, but is pretty frustrating for hybrid scrapbookers :)

8. MelanieB

I never thought about that, but it makes sense! Thanks for the info.

9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

There's also no way to make white from black, cyan, magenta, and yellow. That's what your printer has to choose from. If you want to print white, you need to buy a special white ink cartridge so you actually have white ink to print with. They're not as easy to find but I bet you could search online.

If you have a Silhouette, you could try using a pen. They have white ones as well as other things you can't get from a normal printer cartridge (like metallics).

10. MelanieB

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that until Amanda mentioned that she couldn't get white to print. That makes sense. To be honest, I hadn't paid much attention to colours until recently! The things you learn because of digiscrapping!

11. lizj

lizj Active Member

I had always heard you need to print on high resolution for vellum, but then one day I accidentally printed vellum using the plain paper setting and it came out of the printer dry! (Which, if you've ever waited for ink to dry on vellum was a big aha moment!) If you have a tshirt iron on setting that works well for transparencies, BUT be sure to flip your design on your screen before printing because the printer setting reverses it, so you have to start out with it backwards (use flip horizontal in your program). I love transparencies.

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

That's the trick, find some good quality/good reviews for your specific printer and you will be successful!