Current nemesis.... lined journal cards

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Jul 10, 2014.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

These have been my nemesis for a while... I just can't figure them out! I tend to avoid them and use unlined cards... but sometimes I love the card too much and try to make it work. Do you have any tricks to getting text to line up with the lines? Sometimes I type each line individually, but then I spend forever nudging them down to the line and then select them to do a left align. But that's a bit tedious, plus if I need to make a change mid-journaling... it messes everything up. Once I was able to get everything to line up by typing as a paragraph and adjusting the space between the lines..... but that was just once:groan There has got to be something that I'm missing because so many designers make lined journaling cards... and they wouldn't make them if people weren't using them, right?

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to be the same way, but I have a few tricks I use to use them anyway.

1. First, it sounds like you already know this, but you can adjust the spacing from line to line so that if the lines on the card are evenly spaced, you can make your journaling work without doing each line individually. Don't forget, you can type in the line spacing size to be 14.3pt if that helps. You don't have to stick to what you can scroll through.

2. Sometimes I will add an outside stroke to my text that is the same color as the background of the journaling card. Reduce the opacity a little, but this helps pop your text out even if it overlaps the lines on the card.

3. Just don't care if the text overlaps the lines. :giggle

4. As a last resort, I will do my journaling on top of the card and then will break it up into individual lines so that it looks more handmade and doesn't cover the lines at all. I love this looks, especially if the individual lines are each slightly rotated, but this only happens when I have the time to fuss with it all. :)

3. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I use method #1. i just type the first couple of lines, adjust the line spacing for the paragraph, then type the rest. The lines are usually evenly spaced. Sometimes I have to type in the decimal point like Karen said in order to get it to fit properly.

4. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I think that I have used all of Karen's tips as well. It kind of depends on the day and how frustrated I am with it. And I have also done individual lines and that is the most maddening of all methods because like you said, if you have to go back and edit the journaling, it is a nightmare.

5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Yep, I follow Karen's rules and I tend to love #3. LOL!!!

6. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

I have done everything. When the lines are slim and lightly colored, I sometimes don't care about them at all and just write above them. generally, I adjust the spacing until it's a nice enough fit... I don't aim for perfect, especially when the lines are uneven and hand-drawn. In the end, the cards aren't huge on my print-outs, so you really don't notice small mess-ups.

7. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Ah. I just clone the lines out if possible. Or I type individual lines, but even that annoys me. I just use my clone tool and get rid of the lines... or I'll just use another card. Not a fan of lines on cards because "I ain't got time for that."

Dear designers, please don't bother putting lines on cards. Include the lines as a separate .pngs for those who like lines. That would be so much easier.

8. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

I agree- I generally could do without the lines, too...

9. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

i also adjust the leading as much as possible.

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's funny because I really like the cards with lines! (backs into corner). For some reason if I see a card that looks like a mini piece of notebook paper, I HAVE to have it! You know, until I have to put journalling on top...

11. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

LOL as a hybrid scrapper I adore lines on journaling cards. Of course I almost always print mine off and write by hand so in that case line spacing isn't an issue.

When I do journal on the computer, I do the same and just adjust my spacing. In my software (Craft Artist) I have a slider though so it's super easy to line it up exactly how I want it.

12. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

^^^ This. Sometimes I try, but usually I can never get the line spacing right. There have been times when I've used one text box per line, but most of the time, I just ignore it... cuz that's how I roll.

13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

If all else fails, adjust the card itself. but to be honest unless it is a lot of journaling, I'm with Karen and don't care if it is on the line or not.

14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Too funny Kim! I so agree.... I would love a lined and non-lined option. Sometimes lines do work for me when I just have a few lines... but a lot of the time, regardless of the lining up issue, I have more to say that I can fit on the lines :-)

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'll play around with letting go of my need to line everything up and some of the other ideas!

15. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I'll either adjust the leading if my story is short enough to fit exactly on the lines. Miss Wordy here normally has too many words so I just squish 'em all on the card and pretend the lines don't exist.:giggle

16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

YES! I usually avoid the cards with lines or clone them out. I know how to fiddle with the line spacing and such, but all of that only works when the amount of text you want to fit roughly corresponds to the number of lines on the card. No way to put 12 lines of journaling on a card with 5 lines without making it look cluttered.

17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I love the line and no line option and ALWAYS pick the lined. LOL!!!! I just love them so much, even if I can't make the journaling fit perfectly. LOL!!!

18. SmallMoments

SmallMoments Are you ready for some football??

Yep- this is what I do, too. :)

19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I just do all the individual lines. I'm lame. :giggle

20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I adjust the type if I use them.... but lots of great ideas in this thread!