Siblings

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Jul 8, 2014.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I spent the day with my 2 brothers today. It really made me think about how much our siblings and birth order really shape who were are. I'm the oldest and the only girl, so they do let me boss them around a little bit. :giggle

What about you? Do you have any brothers or sisters? What's the dynamic in your family?

2. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I'm the oldest of 5 (I do have an older half brother that lived with us on and off as well). I am nowhere near the bossiest of our bunch though. My youngest sister (almost 17 years younger than me) is by far the bossiest. Weird how that worked out.

I should add that everyone in my family (aside for maybe one brother) has more than their fair share of bossiness though. It's definitely a family trait.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I have an older sister but we only have 16 months in between.
    She was and still is the boss. I am not so handy and she has only to look at something and she can do it. --> I have always been a bit overwhelmed by this talent.

I also am a person who thinks before she says something while sissie is very explosive and discussions are never far away.

Normally, the second child is the more active, fearless and talkative person, but in fact she is the second child and I am the third.
    Our big sister only got to live one day, so I think that's where it comes from.

4. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I have two older brothers, so I'm the youngest and only girl. My brothers are 15 months apart and then I was 3 years after. They were quite close and I often felt like the third wheel but my parents did tend to spoil me and think I was an angel. I don't see my brothers much but no doubt that our birth order affected my personality!

5. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

I'm the oldest of 5 (girl, boy, girl, boy, girl). The youngest 3 are from my dad's 2nd marriage. I rarely talk to any of my siblings, we are scattered in age and states. I talk to my husband's sister almost daily. sigh.

6. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

i have an older brother, but we rarely speak. we had a falling out just before my wedding and while things in recent years have been a bit better, we don't live near each other and have very different lives. when i visit my parents he tries to bring his kids to see my kids, but otherwise we wouldn't have any contact with each other.

my dh has two siblings and although they all get along better than my brother and i, none of them are very close either.

my own kids are 21 months apart and I hope they grow up to be best friends. i never really felt like i ever had a sibling because my brother is 5 years older than i am and we just never had any common interests.

7. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I am the eldest of two, I'm 31 and my 'little' brother is 29. In our teenage years I was the tearaway wild child and he was the studious, home body. We both challenged our parents in very different ways. We are, unfortunately, not that close - we have little in common really, but I love him none the less :)

8. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

I am the baby of 4. I have two older brothers and one older sister. My oldest brother is 13 years older than me, than my other older brother is 10 years older, than my sister is 8 years older than me. I kind of felt like the only child growing up because by the time I was old enough they were either in college or out of the house. Now, I'm pretty close with my sister but they all live up in Virginia so I only get to see them maybe twice a year.

9. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Only child. I have step siblings, but I never lived with them and we were never close so I don't count them

10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

This is not meant as a downer, because very very good things came out of it.

I have (had, he passed away the night before Easter this year) a little brother. We were very close as children, moved around a lot with Dad being Navy. When we became adults, I went one way, him another. Cordial and kind to each other, but strangers. Then he was diagnosed with cancer, with 6 weeks to live. I flew out to him. That closeness was there, we laughed and loved each other again. We both lamented that we missed out on each other for almost 30 years. But the God he had mocked (I became a Christian in 1988) became his Savior too. We giggled about that too. He had 9 months extra to live and I just want to encourage people to call and just say I love you. I saved our last few texts together, cause he couldn't talk anymore...and they mean the world to me!:woot
    I forget that he is gone from this world all the time...his birthday is Sunday, and it will be so strange to me, to have the 13th of July pass without him.
    So love those sisters that get on your nerves, and brothers that are butts...lol :giggle I understand some cross the lines of decency and for your own health and lives you have to cut them out. But time has a way of stealing precious moments from the ones we grew up together with also.
    big hugs, not tears, but as always
    ~never lose your joy:flirty:flirty

11. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

I am the second to the oldest of six ... four sisters and one brother, and two step-siblings ... one step-brother, one step-sister. I'm close with my oldest sister who lives in the same state as I do, and sisters number four and five, even though they live in Texas. And though I love sister number three with all my heart and would drop everything at a moments notice to be there for her if she ever needed me, I rarely talk to her, call, text, FB, that type of thing (she lives in California where we all grew up). :(

Brother, who has a different mother, and who I really didn't grow up with, and both step-siblings (who are blood brother and sister), are all cordial, but we don't associate with each other outside of holidays, mainly Christmas ... unfortunately (not by my doing either).

12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have an older sister, but there is only 16 months between us and my Mom always said she raised us as twins. We've always been close and still are today. She lives 4 hours away, but we get our families together often and we both have two boys that are all close in age and play together like best friends too. I'm so lucky!

Neither of us really in the bossy type, but my sister was always really shy in high school and I was more outgoing. I left for college and she stayed home and did a little community college. I begged her to come to college with me and she did and BOOM came out of her shell. All my friends loved her so we all hung out together. It was pretty awesome. All my friends thought she was my younger sister at the time too, which was pretty funny.

14. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

I'm the oldest by 4 years and we fought non stop, I rarely got my way lol. However, now that we're bunches older, we get along great and I find that my brother is my biggest supporter which feels great :heartslub

15. SanVHM

SanVHM Pluk de dag!

It's always great to spend time with family. I've got a younger sister, i'm 3 years older but we are very close. We don't live nearby anymore so whatapp is used every week. we both have children with the same age, our younger girls are 3 months apart so pregnant together was a awesome experience for both of is. our husbands are close too, together with our mom and dad, the days we spend together as a family are always to short, with Lots of Fun and laughs.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  16. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

This thread reminds me of a page I did a while back about the relationship between siblings. I really am lucky that despite the generational age gap between oldest and youngest we all are great friends with common interests.

[​IMG]

17. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

I'm the youngest of 4 girls,my poor dad lol

18. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

I have two older brothers, 8 and 10 years older than me. We got along fine when I was younger, although I never spent tons of time with them due to our age difference. My older brother joined the Navy when I was 8, so he wasn't home much. I was closer to them when I lived in the same state, but after moving away we just haven't really kept up with each other except via Facebook. We don't call each other, don't chit chat, or anything like that. I wish I had a better relationship with them, but that's just not how it is. To be honest... we're so very different, so that makes things a little bit difficult. My younger brother's kids come visit with my parents sometimes, and my kids see them when they go visit my parents, but that's about the extent of it.

19. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

I'm the eldest.. I have a brother and two sisters.. the youngest and I have a 16 years of gap!!! As my brother is the only boy and it's a chinese thingy that boys are more precious and appreciated!! So he is mummy's boy!! I am the rebel/ free spirit / black sheep in the family… my sisters are dramatic (dad's girl) I spent most of the time listening to their dramas.. my brother is probably the only sane sibling I have !! LOL!!

20. SmallMoments

SmallMoments Are you ready for some football??

I'm the oldest of two girls. We have never really been that close- probably because I was the typical bossy one growing up. Ha ha. There aren't hard feelings or anything- just not a whole lot in common. I will say, though, we're probably closest right now than we ever have been.