Photo Technique (watercolor)

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Feb 19, 2014.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I love the look of watercolor. Often times, I'm lazy and just clip my photo to a watercolor paper or element. However, I especially love the look on pages where it looks like an artwork in progress. As if I've stopped halfway though filling in a watercolor version of a drawing, as I have done in this LO:

[​IMG]

For our Month of Challenges #8, I'll teach you how to create this look too.

1- Create a blank document and drag over your photo

[​IMG]

2- Duplicate your photo and then add a layer mask to HIDE your bottom copy of your photo

[​IMG]

3- We're going to turn the TOP copy of your photo into a drawing, so click on the top copy of the photo and go to Filter -> Stylize -> Find edges

[​IMG]

4- **optional** I always desaturate the drawing version of my photo, so that it looks like I used a No2 pencil to draw it, otherwise, it will look like colored pencils. The choice is up to you! =) To desaturate, go to Image -> adjustments -> desaturate

[​IMG]

5- Set the Layer Style to Multiply and add a Layer mask to HIDE the drawing copy of your photo

[​IMG]

Here's where the fun part begins...and it's completely up to you how much or how little of each layer is showing. I am using Just Jaimee's soft watercolor brushes ...but really, you can use almost any brush. There are plenty of free ones out there, if you search for them.

6. Select a brush and under the brush presets menu, set the spacing to around 75%. Then, under the Shape Dynamics panel, play around with the settings for size jitter (i used 80%) and angle jitter (I used 35%). I also set the opacity of my brush to 70%. On the layer mask of your photo, with a white brush, brush around until you see as much of the photo as you'd like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. With a soft round brush, brush on the layer mask of the drawing version of your photo around the edges to show where you "drew" the picture.

[​IMG]

8- Add text and other elements to your page for the final look.

Here is the new page I did for this challenge, using Janie and June from One Little Bird and Allison Pennington's Clippy Frames:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  2. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

So happy to see this posted here! I know a lot of the tutorials from the 2013 MOC got removed. Thanks for sharing! =)

3. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

Not necessarily! They may make a reappearance!

4. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

Yay! I noticed the whole 2013 forum had gone missing when I went in search of a specific tutorial from there recently. I do hope they will get resurrected!

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I think it is great that this has been made a new category. Sometimes it is hard to remember where you saw the tutorial either on the blog or a thread somewhere, and now being put in it's own category will help us! Loved this watercolor tut Farrah did during the MOC... glad to see it here!!

6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Looked at the category earlier today, and wished someone would post,- and here you are -thanks a lot. Will be working on this one.

7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Vivi, I am going to be posting all the other tutorials I did in the blog here too, but little by little. Apparently my family needs to eat and nobody knows how to cook other than me. I've got to fix that problem. LOL!!!

8. kyky

kyky Here, kitty kitty

I loved this tutorial and I use this technique all the time now :) thanks for sharing it again :D

9. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Yay! that makes me so happy =)

10. livelifejoyfully

livelifejoyfully New Member

11. Ellie

Ellie Little Bunny Cupcake

This is fantastic having this here!

12. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

I loved this tutorial too. Being a PSE 8 user I had to download a layer mask action to make it work (probably should upgrade my program hey, he he). Thank you Farrah for the tutorial had a tonne of fun in the end with this cool technique ;)

13. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Hi Farrah, this is technique I have always admired! I'm excited to give it a try! Thank you :)

14. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

It's a must try ;)

15. liljune

liljune New Member

Wow. Beautifully done. I'll definitely try this sometime soon!

16. oudedame17

oudedame17 New Member

Thank you for the tutorial, i like it

17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

One of my Favorites!!!

18. buzinettescrap

buzinettescrap I'm just a geek with dizzy feet!

totally love this technique that i used very very often now lol !

19. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Waw, this is stunning, I need to try this!!!!

20. Mindygail

Mindygail New Member

HOW on earth do you?

ADD a sign or name from gimp to this site or to a blog - copy and paste not doing it !!THANK U!!
    New here - new to gimp too just trying to get into the whole brand new to me stuff of hybrid scrapping!!
    thanks,
    mg:whistle