Week 5 – Cupcake Decorations Tutorial

Discussion in 'Summer School 2022' started by Karen, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

As part of our week of Computer Science class for summer school, I’d like to show you a fun way to use your digital scrapbooking stash for a little fun party decoration. You can use this idea for any holiday or party that you can imagine as long as you have a digital scrapbooking kit to go with your theme. In June my oldest son graduated from high school, so for his graduation party I wanted to make some decorations to spruce up the plain cupcakes we ordered. I wanted them to show his personality, so I made some custom cupcake decoration to stick in the tops of his cupcakes. He his going to college to study Chemical Engineering, so I made some that were chemistry related. I also added some graduation caps and some with the little logo for the college he will be attending.

To make your own, just pick a few fun elements to go with your them and drag them into an 8.5 x 11 document. You can do this in any program, even a word document! Resize the elements to be about 1.5” tall and then print them out. If you have a cutting machine like a Cricut or a Silhouette, be sure to add about a 15 pixel white border around your elements. This will allow for any offsets that sometimes occur with cutting machines, so it won’t cut off anything important from your element.

If you don’t have a cutting machine, have no fear! You can still fussy cut around your elements and leave a slight white border around the elements too. If you leave a little white border, you don’t have to be as precise with your cutting either! Win! You could also use a circle punch and just center the elements inside the circle punch. Make sure you size your elements just slightly smaller than the size of your circle punch.

Here are the kits that I used for my graduation themed decorations:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After I printed my sheet of decorations, I used my Silhouette machine to cut them all out:

2022-08-01 Week 5_Tutorial picture 1 small.jpg

The next thing I did was use a small piece of tape to attach each cut out element to a toothpick. These were so easy to make and super cheap, but they all looked so awesome on top of each cupcake! I completely spaced in the busy-ness of the party and never remembered to get a good picture of these on top of his cupcakes. Darn! But they were so cute and everyone loved that they showed which school he was going to and what he was planning to study while there.

2022-08-01 Week 5_Tutorial picture 2 small.jpg

This is the only existing photo of the cupcake decorations... this is my friend adding them to the cupcakes and then POOF, the party was over and the cupcakes were gone. ha ha!

2022-08-01 Week 5_Tutorial picture 3 small.jpg

To recap the steps to make your
    own custom cupcake decorations:

1. Add elements to a document at about 1.5" tall
    2. Add a white border, about 15 pixels if you have that control
    3. Print elements
    4. Cut out elements
    5. Tape elements to a tooth pick and add to your cupcakes!

I hope are inspired to make your own decorations now! The sky is the limit! You could do birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Retirement, Valentines Day, etc.

So what kind of cupcakes would you like to decorate? :D

Bobbie Fisher, cfile, umyesh and 3 others like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Love these Karen! Maybe I’ll have to make back to school cupcakes! I really need to figure out how to print registration marks so I don’t have to fussy cut…

Karen likes this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG, this happens to me all the time with cupcake toppers. I forget to snap pics and.... they are gone!

Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You're so clever, Karen! I love this idea!

Karen likes this.
  5. Karen

It's just a box you click inside the Silhouette software (if you have a silhouette). If you do, I can take a screenshot of where that box is to click. :agree

umyesh likes this.
  6. Karen

I'm so glad to hear it's not just me. I was so mad when I realized I didn't get a picture of them. I also wanted that pictures to show them on the expensive cupcake tiered thingie we rented. Sigh.

Dalis likes this.
  7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

thank you for the inspiration ...
    a wonderful idea Karen when my granddaughter takes cupcakes to school on her birthday.

Karen likes this.
  8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

LOL!!! I think the coolest cake I made for Bianca is pictureless. NONE what so ever! I did the fondant from scratch!!!! Created a freaking rock climbing wall!!!!!!!!

Karen likes this.
  9. Karen

On geez! Don't you hate that!? I can imagine it in my head though and it sounds amazing! :D