August 2022 Book Club - Project Hail Mary

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, May 16, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down to four top books. I always love adding great books to my To Read list! :agree

The book for August is Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

You can talk about secret twist endings if you use the spoiler button.

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

Vrielinkie likes this.
  2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I totally loved this one! 5 stars!

I went in to this with a healthy dose of skepticism. I wasn't sure that I would enjoy a space story. Well, I was totally wrong. I didn't want to put it down. Great characters, great dialogue. Now I have to go read The Martian!

sm_amber and Karen like this.
  3. Karen

I loved this book too. It shouldn't have made sense and should have been goofy and weird, but the writing style just made it absolutely work for me and I couldn't put this one down!

sm_amber and plumdumpling like this.
  4. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I loved this one, too! It's also outside my normal sphere of reading, but I enjoyed it SO much! His sense of humor was so delightful, and I was sad to see it fade as the book went on. Such a compelling read, though, and I even convinced my son to read it. He's 14 and spent SIX HOURS reading this book yesterday. I call that a win! Apparently deals have been negotiated to make a moving starring Ryan Gosling - not at all who I would have chosen, but I guess we'll see.. Now I want to read The Martian. I haven't seen that movie, either, but I'm definitely a fan of Andy Weir now. :)

Karen likes this.
  5. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I think Ryan Reynolds would have been a better choice!

6. Karen

That's so awesome that your son is loving this book too! Hurray!

7. Karen

YES! I totally agree and also... I read Ryan Gosling but my head saw Ryan Reynolds, so that's totally funny that you said this. :giggle

8. sm_amber

same and same! :giggle
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  9. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I'm joining in so I can motivate myself to read more. I got this book at the library and hasn't started reading it when my daughter asked if she could read it. She is almost done with it so I decided to grab the June bookb instead and will start that one this week. I better read it before she grabs it

sm_amber, Karen and djp332 like this.
  10. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I read the Martian before the movie came out, and I thought Matt Damon would totally tank as the lead character. But after the movie I admitted to myself that he was great in that role. So I'm willing to give Ryan Gosling a chance :) I actually could see Matthew McConaughey in the role too.

Karen likes this.
  11. Karen

I love the Martian (movie) and Matt Damon. :giggle I wish I had read the book first, but I really love the movie. It's one of the few movies my Hubby will put on the TV to get me hooked into watching something with him. :giggle

12. sm_amber

My son ended up reading both The Martian and Artemis by Andy Weir after finishing Hail Mary. We watched The Martian together when he was finished. I actually thought it WAS Matthew McConaughey in The Martian before we watched it, so I'd be a vote for him in Project Hail Mary. :)

Karen likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

This sounds fantastic! Gonna download on Audible. I listen to books while I mow the lawn. :agree

Karen likes this.
  14. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

The Audible book is very well done. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Karen likes this.
  15. ArmyGrl

I started! It is VERY good!!!!

Karen and scribler like this.
  16. Laura ODonnell

Laura ODonnell Well-Known Member

I’m doing the audio book and loving it!

Karen likes this.
  17. ArmyGrl

I did too! So far, this is a favorite book (audiobook) in a long, long time.

Karen likes this.
  18. Karen

I liked this book so much, I'm considering getting the audiobook to read it again. :)

19. ArmyGrl

I loved the audio book. There are many parts where "hearing" really helps tell the story!

Karen likes this.