do you IP? | pad patter 11.5.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Nov 5, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Do you IP? Instant Pot that is.
    [​IMG]
    I have used my instant pot for rice, potatoes, chicken and boiled eggs and I want to use it for more but I'm not sure what to try next. Maybe a soup, idk. There are thousands of recipes out there but I want recipes for things normal people like. I want easy and yummy. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated, just good food my family will love. So please help a girl out and share your favorite instant pot meals.

jesskab likes this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm... what is the difference between an IP and Crock Pot?

I don't have recipes, but wonder about the different pots... do I need an IP if I have a crock Pot?

3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

The difference is an instant pot is an electric pressure cooker so it cooks the food quickly. The crock pot is a slow cooker and cooks all day. You can also use the IP as a slow cooker so if you're limited on space the IP can do the job of both.

Tronesia and jk703 like this.
  4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm contemplating purchasing one, but I'm still on the fence about it. I eat a limited diet, mostly legumes, veggies & fish, while everyone else eats everything else. I could see using it for cooking dried beans, but since I don't cook much meat I'm wondering what I would use it for.

So, would it be worth it?

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have one I got on Black Friday last year. But since I've been having issues with not being able to eat most foods (no teeth, denture problems), I haven't used it much. I did try doing baked potatoes in it but I must not have done it right. I couldn't eat them. I went back to using the crock pot for baked potatoes.

I googled for recipes and came up with a lot I'd like to try. Not into fancy meals or using a lot of ingredients. The recipes are bookmarked for the day I can actually eat something besides soft food.

Google is your friend for recipes! Mine is a small one (3 quart) and I found a site devoted to recipes for the small size. @QuiltyMom try googling for meat less recipes and see if there are any that interest you.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

The cost of an IP is worth it for me if the only thing I use if for is hard-boiling eggs and making chicken bone broth. Eggs ALWAYS PEEL EASILY done in the IP. Bone broth is fast and delicious. We eat low carb, and I don’t cook fancy any more, but the only pork chops DH has ever loved, I did in the IP (& the stuffing was WONDERFUL)...juicy, moist, tender. But alas, we no longer eat stuffing. Agree, Google/YouTube are your friends. It does take a little patience to figure out how to get it up and running, and at least once, you will forget to turn the valve to SEAL for cooking (I have left it on Vent more than once. Ruined the project.).

keepscrappin and QuiltyMom like this.
  7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I love my IP and I use it sometimes 3 times a day! I have a whole Pinterest board on recipes. I've tried most of them with great success! My husband loves everything I make in and has several favorites of his own. I love how quick and easy it is to make soup. This morning I made a batch of egg bites.

I love that most things can be made is just one pot. Just shut the lid and walk away, and then dinner is done.

https://www.pinterest.com/djp332/instant-pot/

keepscrappin, jesskab and jenn mccabe like this.
  8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

That's pretty much what I use mine for. I need to venture out too, but I do think it's worth it just for prepping those foods!

Gonna follow this!

keepscrappin and djp332 like this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I love mine!! I really don't use recipes very often, I just toss stuff in! My son loves it when I just toss in chicken and chicken broth with a little lemon pepper and then serve it with noodles. Or chicken with salsa!

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I pressure cook. Still not positive what the IP difference is to a Pressure cooker.

I love chicken breasts in it. Toss them in the kitchen aid after cooking and instant shred!

Also, I cook roasts, beans, and my favorite is corn on the cob in my PC.
    Potatoes always turn out great. The texture is amazing!
    And of course, soups.

Tronesia and AJK like this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Where is Danica? Oh crap... I forgot her username! We were just talking about this in FB.

I love mine, I do soups, stews, ribs, shredded pork, chicken and beef

weaselwatchr likes this.
  12. bestcee

@weaselwatchr ? Is that Danica?

weaselwatchr likes this.
  13. Dalis

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weaselwatchr and bestcee like this.
  14. Dalis

I posted that the RED IP is on sale in Amazon for $60 and she mentioned that she hasn't opened hers yet!

weaselwatchr and bestcee like this.
  15. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I think the only difference between a pressure cooker and and IP is that the IP is electric. The recipes I've seen have had minor differences in prep/time between the two.

keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Veggies, lightly oiled and spiced, I put nutritional yeast on bean, cauliflower or broccoli. White potato and yam fries turn out crunchy with soft insides. Burgers with cheese inside. Chili and soup are good.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. bestcee

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the IP was closer to a crockpot or had a different high pressure/low pressure amount.

Mine's a pressure cooker/canner, so I'm not giving it up anytime soon.

AJK and SharLamb like this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't have one yet. I always think about it after reading these threads, but then also am worried I'd be one of those to get excited about buying one and then never use it. :giggle I have to have fun playing with my kitchenaide mixer for awhile first. :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

We bought one for Christmas last year and then Dick's cancer intervened so he was only 'eating' Ensure til this August. We did test it out - like getting me to be able to get the lid on right! - and when PSL seasonal drinks arrived, I started making a weekly batch of steel cut oats with all the goodies in it again. (I did use it for that last winter too but that was it.)

STEEL CUT OATS
    1 cup oats, 3 cups water, then chopped almonds, raisins, and any other thing you like. I also add a tsp or so of cinnamon but may try cardamon for the next batch. Grain Setting which is about 40 min. When I open the IP, I add a cup of whole milk and stir it in while it's hot. This gives me 6 servings which I refrigerate and eat in a week. I sometimes add 2 packets of Stevia but often forget. I find that the milk added while the pot is still hot gives it a bit of caramelization without sticking to the post if you know what I mean.

We also have an Indian IP cookbook and I'm ready to try some of those recipes. Saag paneer is on my list...maybe even today. I got some paneer at a local Asian grocer and a have the rest of the ingredients.

@bcgal00 I'm curious about this one..."White potato and yam fries turn out crunchy with soft insides." and @djp332 I'll be checking out your Pinterest board too!

btw, my only complaint is the size of the pot for storage. Something on the floor of our pantry has to go... :helpy

keepscrappin and djp332 like this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yeah, I have the small 3 quart IP and it is bigger than my 4 qt oval crock pot. I ended up adding cabinets to my kitchen since I don't have a pantry and one is specifically for the crock pots, IP, blender and toaster (I keep no appliances out on my counters). I had the space to put the cabinets in and it makes my kitchen much more functional than what I had in that space after the remodel 2 years ago.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.