Do you journal first or last?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Mar 11, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm coming close to completing the page layouts for a 100-page album. I just have the final two "miscellaneous photos" pages to create and a few to add the final embellishment touches. The big task is to do the journaling. I've only journaled about 25% of the pages, and now I have to go and journal on the rest. As you can tell I really don't like the whole journaling process!

Is the anyone else who also waits to journal until the last minute, or am I the only one?

2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I typically journal last when I'm completing a layout- then I flatten & save & get rid of the layered file, so I guess my answer is yes & no! ;) I do it last, but I couldn't go back & do a whole bunch at once! ;)

Ferdy and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Almost always last...unless it’s a journaling challenge.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I journal after I have the photos on the page. I'd be afraid I'd forget what happened if I didn't journal as I scrapped the page. Plus sometimes I'm wordy and, if you can believe it lol, sometimes I'm not. So I need to journal as I scrap so I know how much of the page I need. Sometimes I can add another photo cuz I have such a small amount of journaling.
    As for journaling itself: there's no law saying scrappers have to journal a lot or on every page*. So if someone hates journaling, don't worry about it. Maybe include just the "Who" and "Where" on pages.

(*Unless it's for the monthly journaling challenge or a MOC challenge lol!)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Rarely do I journal very first, but it's very important to me and I always write at some point. Sometimes right after I add photos, sometimes not until I get more of the page designed and figure out where I want to put the journaling.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I always journal as I am creating page or it is not done! In fact I have been known to put a big huge pink X across the entire page if for some reason the journaling needs work - i.e. I have to look something up.

Karen and QuiltyMom like this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Journaling is always last for me. I'm not a fan of the whole process either. Every now and then, when I'm working on a project, I will journal as I go along, but that is really really rare and I can't remember the last time I did that.

patsyt and QuiltyMom like this.
  8. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Usually it's the last thing I do on a page. Similarly I have an album in progress of my daughter's wedding. All the photos are in place. Instead of journaling throught the album, I'm just putting titles on many of the pages. It has about 80 pages and I am done with half of the titles. I have to finish it!!!! The wedding was almost 2 years ago!!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Almost always last too. But I journal page by page rather than at the end of the album creation process.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I journal in the end of the page, normally. unless it's something specific, like a journaling challenge and I have to think about it. but I'm not crazy about writing a lot, so I tend to do just an idea of the day or subject of the photos - most of the time...nowadays, I realized that i can't leave a page without at least 2 lines of journaling saying what was going on at that moment.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I started scrapping because I wanted a way to pair my stories with the photos, and my albums are still pretty text heavy. I journal as we go about our week, writing in a journaling app about what we were doing, what someone said, etc. Every few months I go through, edit and expand upon anything that needs it, and pair journaling with photos. So by the time I start a page I've usually already written the journaling. Even so, it's usually the last thing I put on the page unless the layout has so much text that I need to "reserve" the space ahead of time by adding it earlier.

Angela Toucan and QuiltyMom like this.
  12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I journal last but for a different reason -- it's always the easiest part for me! I'm a good writer and just an okay scrapper. I scrap so people will read my writings. :)

Karen, kimingvtx and QuiltyMom like this.
  13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I don't journal at all (or very rarely) :D ... on the rare occasion I do, it's ALWAYS last.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I journal last on a page, and not every page I do has journaling. At the very least, I include a date for the page, if the photos are obvious and I don't need the who or what.

Angela Toucan and QuiltyMom like this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I journal last always

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I journal last when creating a page. The page isn't finished until the journaling is done so I make sure it is done before creating the jpg version. I really don't like having UFO's when it comes to my scrapping.

Also, what I want to say usually comes to mind as I am doing the page so waiting to do it at a later date doesn't work for me. Like @HeatherB I at least put a date on a page if the story is obvious through the photos and titale.

QuiltyMom, HeatherB and Angela Toucan like this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

usually last.. sometimes I journal in email and save as a draft if there I something specific and then I copy and paste into the page, but other times if it is a line or two I just do that last even with using a template.

For my trip books, I always journal page by page as I have the photos in place.

Always as I am making the pages, the last item to complete my page is the journaling. For trip books, I date the page and then document.. I may have 5 pages for one day and then depending on the photos I may have journaling short little notations on the page but the page that starts the day will have the summary of the day.

QuiltyMom and Angela Toucan like this.
  18. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I journal as I go along. Sometimes I'll journal before I add the photos or choose my kit. I depends on whether I'm telling a story, or just adding information to a photo packed page to give context. If telling a story i journal first, if adding information I journal last. I focus on one layout or pair of layouts at a time, so don't tend to leave an album unjournaled. All the best to you on completing your task.
    I started a page yesterday that is all journaling at the moment, and nothing else. I haven't got the photo off my camera yet.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    BevG, QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  19. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have to admit I am not a journaler. I try to do more and it just feels like I can't get the story down so alot of times I just do a small few lines. It is always the last thing I do.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I usually start with the photos, unless it's for a template creative team.
    Journaling is usually last, just before a pop of dimension and save for web.

QuiltyMom likes this.