Help! Please!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Jan, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Hi, All.

Okay. My computer, a Mac, automatically upgraded to a new version during the night last week and it has made it so that my Photoshop, which is an older version, doesn't work anymore!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!! We paid a lot of money for that!! I can still use it on our laptop which hasn't been updated in forever and is on the slow side, but not on my desktop. If I stick with Photoshop for my desktop it's $20.99 a month to have it. Can't buy it outright anymore and it would cost way too much anyway. So my question is...What programs are out there that you could recommend to me at this point. I'm debating on whether to pay the monthly fee to have Photoshop or whether to change to something else. Thanks for any suggestions you may have for me.

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

No answers, but so sorry you lost it. I am so close to going with cc Adobe. My outer is old slow and my program crashes so much. Biting the bucket to subscribe is on my soon to happen.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't know much about alternatives, because I've only ever used Photoshop, but I have the Creative Cloud Photography plan with PS and LR for $9.99/month.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  4. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I have PSCS6 and since I upgraded to Mojave it 'sometimes eats my homework'. I haven't figured out exactly why it works sometimes and not others (there are all sorts of suggestions on the web). I use Affinity Photo on my iPad and it works well. There is a desktop version that is very reasonably priced and I think that's what I'll get when PS totally bites the dust.

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

All i can offer is sympathy sorry - i'm still on CS6 on a pc laptop and avoid updates but the forced ones get me too - so far (touch wood) i haven't had your problem - i don't know the answer but is PSE still sold outright or is that subscription only 'in the cloud' too?

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

That is so aggravating, Jan! I'm with @IntenseMagic: for $9.99 per month I have PS CC, which includes Lightroom but I don't use it. I figure the $10/month is less than two of my fancy Starbucks coffees, so I can't complain about the price, even though I wasn't planning on updating PS (previously I had PSCS3).

Anyway, I hope you find a software you like!

cfile likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I was gonna say what Justine said - maybe buy a new version of PSE for now? I'm not sure the PSCC/LR $9.99 a month deal is valid at the moment but if you can hang on a little while maybe a sale will happen again soon or you'll come across a code? If you have a teacher or student in the house you can get all Adobe CC apps for $19.99 a month and I think it allows 4 or 5 sign ons on different devices.

Justagirl likes this.
  8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

So sorry about your upgrade problem. I'm having that with software I'm using - it works but keeps crashing. I would recommend Affinity, and when we are able to I will be changing from my crashing software to the full Affinity suite. Affinity Photo will do most of what Photoshop can do, but is a once off payment. Affinity Design is their drawing product, and they are in beta at the moment with Affinity Publisher for desktop publishing. As a dtp and vector drawing person I'll be waiting until that one is out fully before making a purchase. They will all be linkable to you can use the functionality of one inside another. It will be upgrades for the very old versions of their previous software packages I own.

julianz likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

So sorry Jan... re the Photo Shop/LR from adobe it is only $9.99/mos for the photo package. My suggestion if you did not want to do that is get PSE 19 so that you can still use all of your styles and some of your actions. I have done the $9.99/mos for the last 3 years and I love it.. I work it out in my head it is really only like 30 cents a day and I always have the latest version. I had/have CS3 on my desk top that has seen better days... It overheats etc. so I have not touched the desktop in years.. hubby is going to sledge hammer it but I use the lap top and use Photo Shop and I am a happy camper.

I don't think you will be happy going to another program unless PSE as not all things work the same. Hope you find a budget friendly solution for you.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  10. cfile

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. cfile

Me too Sara.. I do have LR but rarely use it.

Tree City likes this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

cfile likes this.
  13. Jan

Thank you all, for your help. I appreciate it. I downloaded a trial version of Photoshop Elements 2019 but it seems to be just for working with your photos. I couldn't see where it would work for scrapbooking layouts. I'm thinking about doing the trial version of PhotoshopCC. You can scrapbook with that, right? Just like Photoshop CS5? And the $9.99 version of Lightroom with the Photoshop combined is scrapbook friendly? Sorry to not know much. I haven't had to shop for a scrapbooking program in years now.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  14. Jan

Question...is the Photoshop CC in the $9.99 plan the same as the one in the $20.99 plan or is it a limited version? Also, is that Photoshop CC the same as all the old Photoshop versions...like I have CS5...only updated?

15. Tree City

Jan, I have the Creative Cloud $9.99/month plan that I see listed first. It seems that the PSCC plan (the $9.99/month plan) is for Photographers. As far as I can tell, I have ALL of Photoshop in the CC plan. Adobe has a compare/contrast page that may have info for you. Basically, it seems that people who already had a license for older versions of PS could get the $9.99/m deal. Then it was so popular that they "opened it up" to everyone. But... it doesn't really make sense, does it, to have LR and PSCC for $9.99/m *or* LR alone for $9.99/m and PS for $19.99/m. It's a head scratcher.

bestcee likes this.
  16. cfile

The $9.99 is photo shop (like CS 5 but newer and better.. LR is photo adjustments) the 19.99 price is for 1TB cloud storage and you do not need that if you have an EXternal Hard Drive.. the $9.99 is a great deal.. it is full version of Photoshop. .. btw pse is also for scrapbooking.. both programs you can scrapbook with. In PSE go to the advanced tab to give you the layer panel etc. I still say if you had CS5 get the $9.99 and get the photography package

17. cfile

The PsCc+LR for photographer was so that they didn’t have to purchase both those as stand alone when they didn’t want the whole creative suites package. Photographers only wanted PS & LR which is why the package came out for $ 9.99.. if you look at the print.. the additional $10 for a total of $19.99 is if you want 1TB of cloud storage which is not needed..

@Jan get the photography package at $9.99 /mos for PSCc & LR

Tree City likes this.
  18. Tree City

@cfile I saw that later. :blush But it doesn't change the fact that the Creative Cloud option is what works for most scrapbookers, for sure (which you also said!). I'm SO GLAD they have the PSCC and LR option!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    cfile and bestcee like this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Um, yeah. You saw that right. Apparently, you can get just LR with 1 TB storage for 9.99/month. Or, the same LR/PSCC with 20 GB storage for $9.99.

I think Christa answered most of your questions.
    PSE does offer scrapping. It has a part called Organizer which is intended to organize your photos. It's what Cheryl used to scrap on way back when we first did Watch Cheryl Scrap. She used an older version.
    PSCC is the newest update of Photoshop. They don't do the standalone for Photoshop anymore, just the cloud. If you are not scrapping alot still, then you'll probably be okay with PSE. You'll miss a few things, but I know that you've been busy with grandbabies! You could always try them both (PSE and PSCC) and see which one you want.

20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Jan, In PSE 2019 you'll want to be in Expert mode to work on scrapbook layouts. Look across the top of the screen and click on EXPERT. Hope that helps you.