Sharon-Dewi

Why I Scrap

Why I Scrap
Sharon-Dewi, Jan 25, 2021
Description:
MOC 2 - Why I Scrap

Photos of my dad while flipping through a digital scrapbook album I made and printed out for him.

Journaling reads:
Back when I was still in high school I discovered one day that my parents never made a photo album with pictures of me growing up except for one album with pictures where my mom was pregnant of me and with pictures about my birth. All other photos of my life after that first week or so were boxed up in the attic. Because I was curious about my early childhood years I started to sort out those boxes and tried to put all the photos in a chronological order and asked my parents where they were taken. The fact that it often was so difficult for them to recollect when, where and why certain photos were taken, made me want to document everything properly and this was the trigger for me to start paper scrapping. I loved this creative way of displaying memories, but often found that I spent more time getting everything out and cleaning it all up again than I actually spent scrapping.

In 2007 I noticed that my grandfather had trouble remembering and shortly after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer disease. He began to forget more each day, which made me realize how valuable memories are and how important it is to preserve those precious moments in time. When he even began to forget the names of his wife, children and grandchildren, I decided to print out pages with photos of his main life events and of family pictures on which I could include some journaling and display everyone's names. I turned it into a small book that he could always have with him whenever he got forgetful. To brighten up this book I went looking for nice background papers on the internet and that's when I discovered the beautiful world of digital scrapbooking.

With digital scrapbooking the resources were endless and there was no mess to clean up afterwards. So when I moved to a very small apartment in Delft to study at the technical university there, I didn't have to take all my paper scrapbooking supplies with me but only needed my laptop. Every free hour I had I spent scrapbooking, and after a while I started to create more and more elements and patterned papers myself to scrap with. In 2014 I started selling my own scrapbook kits at Pixel Scrapper under the name of DigiDewi and that was the start of my digital scrapbook design career.

Next to designing scrapbook kits I still enjoy making scrapbook layouts, especially for loved ones. The very first digital scrapbook that I made for my grandfather became a book that my grandmother still cherishes and looks in often. I always see it laying in the corner of the side table when I'm visiting her. Since then I've made an album for my brother of his early childhood, I made albums of family vacations and special celebrations for my parents and other family members and right now I'm creating layouts of my nephews in the hope that I someday can give them each a photo album of their childhood. Seeing how they all proudly display the albums in cupboards or on tables in their living rooms and look in them with so much interest and happiness is the best feeling in the world.

To create this layout I used the Lilypad collab "Makers Gonna Make".
chastml and trekmom like this.
    • Skivvy
      What an awesome story. I made my first page for my grandfather as well and have a very similar story to you. Your page and story are on point.
      trekmom likes this.
    • StefanieS
      This is wonderful and makes every scrapbooker's heart neat with joy - we totally get each other. This is why indeed.
      trekmom likes this.
    • trekmom
      This is so beautifully done, I truly enjoyed reading your story.
    • sberkan
      What a fabulous page! I love the series of photos especially. The touch of colour makes the whole page pop.
    • HeatherB
      I loved your story and really loved the photos of your dad viewing the book you made him. Great page!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    Sharon-Dewi
    Date:
    Jan 25, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    625.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).