AliSarah

Visiting Utah!

Visiting Utah!
AliSarah, Jan 12, 2021
Description:
This is for the MOC9 Challenge #11- Tell Me A Story!

I created this with a template from the Lilypad Collab Snapshots and the Things That Matter Most Collab. Word count is 717

Journaling reads:
In February of 2007, Grandma Nancy, or Chocolate Grandma as you may know her, was going to turn 60 years old. Grandma and Grandpa were living in Utah before their retirement, and I think Grandma thought her birthday was going to be a low-key event. Grandpa Glen, on the other hand, couldn't let that be the case. He arranged secretly for quite a few family members to travel to Utah. We flew in all day long from all over the country.

Our family was among the earliest to arrive. We landed in Utah in true California traveler style- wearing flip flops and t-shirts. While we waited for the next group to arrive, I was sitting in the back seat, and needed to adjust my position. I pushed up off my feet and one of them slipped forward in the car and slammed into the metal bracket holding the seat in front of me. It was a direct hit to the big toe. It would reveal over time that I had severed the toenail from the toe entirely. I jumped out of the car somehow managing to not say any words that would horrify Grandpa, hobbled in circles, and ended up shoving my whole foot into a snow bank! This injury would keep me from participating in some of the weekend's activities, but I didn't mind too much.

Once the group we were waiting for arrived, we headed off to lunch. By this time, it was us, Rob and Emily, and Jonathan and Jen. I can't remember if Grandpa was still with us but I think he was. We chose a restaurant and headed in as a big group. It was not our first time in Utah, but we did experience a Utah phenomena for the first time. Before we could make our way into the restaurant, we were approached by a group of Mormons intent on converting us to their religion. We made quick work of them and they headed off on their way. The best part of the whole thing was when Emily asked how they could have known we weren't already Mormon and I got to point out to her that we had quite a bit of collar bones visible for Mormon women! After that, we had a pretty uneventful lunch!

As the day continued, the whole family trickled in and by the time it was dark, there were 15 of us standing on the front lawn of Grandma and Grandpa's home in Utah. It was cold, but we were sure excited for the big surprise. Grandpa was in the house, so we rang the doorbell to signal our arrival. Grandma came to the door and opened it just a bit to see who was there. She was pretty surprised to see us all! But, she did not open the door any more than the width of her head. She said, “If I had known you were coming, I would have had the maids do a deep cleaning to prepare.” Grandpa stepped forward and said, “I knew they were coming and I did have the maids do a deep cleaning!” Grandma flung open the door and said, “Well, come on in, then!”

We all headed in and spent an amazing few days in Utah to celebrate! Aunt Lynda brought us all matching t-shirts from Arizona! Most of us slept in the house, but some of us stayed in a hotel. While we were there, Grandpa had arranged for us to have beautiful catered meals the entire time. Some of us went to a movie at a place called Jordan Commons. Some of us went skiing. We stayed up late watching movies, and playing games in the basement. And, we all went for a beautiful sight seeing drive to see the picturesque buildings that the area of Utah had to offer us. It was a lovely trip! On our final night, Utah gave us one last beautiful memory- it snowed!

We woke up on our last morning in Utah to the entire area covered in a blanket of snow! It was so lovely! On the 20th of February, we all trickled back out of Utah the opposite way of how we had arrived. We had enjoyed each other's company, and the hospitality of our hosts thoroughly!
    • Saar
      Oh I love your take on the challenge. I love how you displayed the photos and I love your beautiful clusters.
    • bestcee
      What a fun trip! I love all the memories that you shared. The memory of the maid's deep cleaning shows their personality beautifully! Thank you for playing in my challenge.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    AliSarah
    Date:
    Jan 12, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    164.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).