mary kate

The Queen vs. Kelly, page 2

The Queen vs. Kelly, page 2
mary kate, Mar 16, 2019
Description:
When I first saw Lynn Grieveson’s family newsletter templates, I knew that I would have to figure out a way to use them for a family history layout. Here are the first 2 pages of a 4-page mini-album, using the family newsletter templates to document a “black sheep ancestors” family history story that I researched.

The story, in brief: on 9 April 1841, my first cousin 4 times removed (Michael Hourigan) was fatally stabbed by his own brother-in-law (John Kelly) in a drunken altercation outside a tavern. Since this took place in the British province of Upper Canada (in what is now Ontario), Kelly was tried by the British Crown, and the case was known as “the Queen vs. Kelly.” The Crown sought a murder conviction; but luckily for Kelly (who had a good lawyer!), the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter. Kelly served a one-year sentence of “hard labour” at the Dominion Penitentiary in Kingston, Ontario, and then returned to his family. My side of the family never forgot it; and indeed, as a kid, I recall my dad telling me a version of this story (and when I researched it as an adult, much to my surprise, I realized that it was substantially true, and could be quite well documented!...).

Family Newsletter Templates: Lynn Grieveson Designs
Abundant kit: Etc. by Danyale (background paper)
Color Me Happy: Foliage Set One: Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs
Photos and documents from various genealogy and public domain sites, including Library and Archives Canada, the Archives of Ontario, the Royal Ontario Museum, and FamilySearch.
Fonts: Bonnycastle; Geographica; Geographica Hand; P22 Garamouche Ornaments
SeattleSheri likes this.
    • jenn mccabe
      whoa - that is some story! you did an amazing job with this template! how cool to research all this - this is scrapbooking!!!! love it!
    • LynnG
      This is amazing! What incredible documenting! Made me wonder if they were related to the notorious Australian Kelly gang!!
      mary kate likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lynn Grieveson
    Uploaded By:
    mary kate
    Date:
    Mar 16, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    247.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).