KAPOH

SW-43213

SW-43213
KAPOH, Apr 12, 2020
Description:
I used Google Maps to find the zip code in which I grew up and copied part of the grid formed by the streets in the SW part of that zip code where our house was located. I refined it a bit by eliminating some of the streets and came up with this "patchwork quilt" style layout to highlight some of my childhood memories. I spent a lot of time adding stitching to the grid before adding the background and elements, only to discover all of that "sewing" was for naught. It made this look too cluttered. So I deleted the stitches. There are 12 areas on my "quilt," but only 10 of them contain "memories." My sister (pups_r_paps) did a similar layout, (on at ATC!) but, other than the "family unit," (the dog is NOT the breed we grew up with, just a symbolic "dog") her memories are all different from mine! The family was intact until my father's death; we'd get ice cream at the local shop in the summer - my mother always had a double-dip chocolate on the bottom, lemon on top; there was a wonderful carnival that opened every summer in the neighborhood; I had surgery on my left ankle when I was about 12; I twirled a baton in the 4th of July parade one summer; I loved figure skating and the Cincinnati Reds; when we were about 5 or so, my sister and I won a zoo contest to name a little monkey. We appeared on a TV program sitting on high stools in front of a table crawling with all types of snakes. I remember watching one little one wiggle off the table between us. BTW, NOT afraid of snakes, but had it been a spider - a DIFFERENT story!:backing
WHOOPS! forgot the credits: CREDITS: GRID: partial street map of SW corner of zip code 43213 from Google Maps; KITS: "Mary's Popping By" and "Watercolor Background People" and "Sonnet #42" by Rebecca McMeen; "Scoop" by Allison Pennington; "At the Zoo" and "Liberty" by Paula Kesselring; "Seasons in the Sun" by NBK Designs; "Sporty-Baseball" by Kate Hadfield; "March 2020" by GS Creations; FONT: Ostrich Sans
Dalis likes this.
    • Dalis
      @KAPOH A few things!!!!

1 - Brilliant idea of the grid you created from the Google Map. I was planning on using the Google Map but it's SOOO busy! I might scraplift your idea.
      2- YOU AND @Pups_r_Paps ARE SISTERS?!?!!?? How on Earth did I miss this?
      3- I feel like that part of the story you wrote to explain to us the grid at the end you may want to add that to this page. I would may be add it in that crooked light blue space. So it doesn't take away from your page and looks busy I would do it in a light color (maybe blue or maybe gray) and then apply like a color burn blend so it matches better the background and it's not so noticeable.
      4- It is an honor to know so much about you, friend!
    • Pups_r_Paps
      I LOVE the images and memories you selected from your (our) childhood. It IS interesting that yours are so different from mine. I also thought of the amusement park but it didn't end up on my ATC because I couldn't find a merry-go-round image or a small train - those were the things I remember most about it. I love your scarlet/grey BG.
    • mcurtt
      I love your memories, love your grid, and appreciated your comments as an explanation. Kudos to your mom for raising you two girls! I also had planning on adding stitches to my grid of a neighborhood, but I agree, it was too busy.
    • wvsandy
      Love all of the detail that you were able to add and still keep it artistic. I also think that you should add your journaling, maybe as a second page? Beautiful!
    • Cherylndesigns
      Wonderful idea to use Google Maps! Love your "quilt"!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Art Journaling
    Uploaded By:
    KAPOH
    Date:
    Apr 12, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    131.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    495px
    Height:
    640px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).